Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I suppose just because there are so many rappers being noticed from Atlanta. Atlanta is a big media city, so as a result they get a lot of national exposure...ultimately it results in a spread of Atlanta's AA culture. I don't think it's extremely influential (which is why I mentioned it was to a much lower extent than NYC/LA), but it does have influence.

Speaking of Atlanta being a black Mecca, etc, etc...did anyone see Freaknik: The Musical the other night? I woke up at 4am randomly and it was on my TV...I thought I was still dreaming haha. That movie was crazy!
No friggin way! Freaknik the musical?!?! Only in America. Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
No friggin way! Freaknik the musical?!?! Only in America. Lol!
haha yea man! Check out the cast...it's insane. T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Rick Ross, plenty of others...

Freaknik sounded like a ridiculous time...I'm not sure I would fit in though haha.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Well they have a much stronger Mexican culture, and the Texas/Southwestern culture itself is much different from ours. I can definitely understand what he's trying to say. At the same time, when people talk about how "white" Boston is, they forget that Boston has a huge Irish-descent population and huge Italian-descent population. They are much different cultures. It's like saying "oh well, they've got a big Asian population" but neglect the fact that Japan and China are much different countries.

However, at the same time I think the only American cities who have cultural influence on a national level are New York City and Los Angeles....and to a much lower extent, Atlanta.
Oh I understand what he's saying, but I just don't agree with it. I do agree that there is a much larger Latin American population in Houston, especially from Mexico; but you can turn right back around and say that Boston has more people from Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Nepal, Cambodia, Haiti, Cape Verde, China, etc....

Yes, the Boston CSA (which includes Providence and Manchester NH) is heavily "white" (good point of whites being of all different backgrounds) but the Boston Metro area and the city itself is VERY diverse, as half of Boston's population is visible minority, 26% foreign born and according to the Boston Redevelopment Authority 140 languages are spoken in the city. Also keep in mind that most of these statistics do not include the student population which also has a very large number of foreign born.

I agree on your point about NYC and LA, but if I was to include a 3rd city it would be SF not Atlanta.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
haha yea man! Check out the cast...it's insane. T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Rick Ross, plenty of others...

Freaknik sounded like a ridiculous time...I'm not sure I would fit in though haha.
Ah, Freaknik.....some great memories there

Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Oh I understand what he's saying, but I just don't agree with it. I do agree that there is a much larger Latin American population in Houston, especially from Mexico; but you can turn right back around and say that Boston has more people from Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Nepal, Cambodia, Haiti, Cape Verde, China, etc....

Yes, the Boston CSA (which includes Providence and Manchester NH) is heavily "white" (good point of whites being of all different backgrounds) but the Boston Metro area and the city itself is VERY diverse, as half of Boston's population is visible minority, 26% foreign born and according to the Boston Redevelopment Authority 140 languages are spoken in the city. Also keep in mind that most of these statistics do not include the student population which also has a very large number of foreign born.

I agree on your point about NYC and LA, but if I was to include a 3rd city it would be SF not Atlanta.
The majority of the Boston Metropolitan area is white (whether it's Ireland ,Europe, Canadian, British,etc).

The groups are more even out in Houston with a white population at about 2.5 million, black population at about 1 million, Latino population at about 1.7 million, Asian population probably near 400k, and more. Houston has one of the largest Nigerian populations in the country, and one of the largest Vietnamese populations.

Let's not forget the strong creole/cajun,Texas, Mexican, southern influence in Houston.

The only people praising San Francisco and Boston as cultural meccas are white people. Not saying they don't have any culture of less of it than Houston. However, to suggest they offer much more culture is BS. They are only praised because of their history and urbanity.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post

Ah yes, how convenient to switch from CSA back to MSA. When comparing Houston to Boston, you all use the CSA because its a better measure of looking at the importance. Its convenient how Boston's CSA is larger than Houston's CSA. And when were comparing GAP, how convenient that we use CSA standards, and look, now Boston is ahead of Houston. But the minute that we talk about diversity, Bostoners refer back to city and MSA standards because it paints their city diverse, while the CSA tells a different story.

Oh no, if were using CSA for everything, than that means when comparing diversity, we'll be using the CSA population, reguardless of wether or not the city is diverse. So yes, Greater Houston trumps over Greater Boston in diversity, reguardless if the city of Boston is diverse.

And the TX ego and Northern smugginess is pure BS. Although both have been well illustrated here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I've studied urban planning at architecture school at one of those "smug" preppy New England colleges, and we discussed that Houston was an example of how not to design a city. It was urban sprawl at it's finest, pointless skyscrapers that don't have any tenants, no singluar city center.
FYI, the city's vacancy is at around 16%. Downtowns class A office space is about 92% leased. And according to this Colliers report, Downtown Houston's vacancy sits at around 13%.Yeah just a bunch of empty office buildings here in Houston.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/25386366/Q4-2009-Houston-Office-Market-Report

And from the last 3 major office spaces built in Downtown, 2 have already been 100% leased. Thats the office building in the Houston Pavilions, and Hess Tower. MainPlace, from last year, looks less than 20% leased, but its a major office tower with almost a million sq ft, so thats understandable.

No, Houston is not the best city, yes it has a lot of urban sprawl. But our pointless skyscrapers do have tenants, and I like the fact that there is no one city center. Thats whats so great about living here. Your not confined to go to one place to do everything. Although, that limits our "vibrancy" and "pedestrian-friendliness".

And if all our city centers and pointless skyscrapers were concentrated into one space, there would be little argument for the nations 3rd best skyline. And at least Houston has a skyline that represents the power of the region a lot better than what Boston has right now.

It wouldn't hurt for some posters to research a bit.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The majority of the Boston Metropolitan area is white (whether it's Ireland ,Europe, Canadian, British,etc).

The groups are more even out in Houston with a white population at about 2.5 million, black population at about 1 million, Latino population at about 1.7 million, Asian population probably near 400k, and more. Houston has one of the largest Nigerian populations in the country, and one of the largest Vietnamese populations.

Let's not forget the strong creole/cajun,Texas, Mexican, southern influence in Houston.

The only people praising San Francisco and Boston as cultural meccas are white people. Not saying they don't have any culture of less of it than Houston. However, to suggest they offer much more culture is BS. They are only praised because of their history and urbanity.
I think you need to ask yourself why certain people live in certain cities. A clear fact is, you ARE NOT!

By hispanics you really mean Mexican. Last time I looked at a map of North America, Mexico was right next to Texas. Creole/Spanish again due to Louisiana being right there, plus again the Mexico-Spanish influence. And as for the large African-American population...what was that "peculiar institution" that existed prior to the Civil War? And that is all fine, but you are deriding all the otehr cities, what because they have a different set of people?

Lets look at Boston. The French came down from Quebec. Obviously the Spanish/Mexican influence on Boston is neglibable. The Irish came over in the 1840's.Well before Texas was a state. The English (and Scots) founded the city and region, so their influence is lasting. The Italians came over shortly thereafter. Followed by every European ethnicity there is--All to work in New England's factories or work as fisherman in our many many ports. In the 1900's the Asians came. Boston has a very very large Chinese and Vietnamese community. African American came up in the mid 20th century to avoid the Jim Crow laws in place down south. But they also went to New York City and Chicago as well. Boston as a huge Hatian/African Creole population, as well as a large West African population. Boston's hispanic population happens to be mostly Puerto Rican, which is quite different from Mexico.

I'm from western Mass, and a city here is 1/3 Puerto Rican. does that make it diverse? It makes it more diverse if than it was just white anglo saxon protestants, but there are Irish Catholics, Italians, Polish, Portuguese, Greeks, Germans, Russians, all of whom are very different. They might be all white, but each contributes something unique.

You want us to admit Houston is one of the most diverse cities, simply because there are a lot of Hispanics most of whom happen to be Mexican and African-Americans. Who I believe combined make up a minority-majority. So diversity is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you are certainly not right.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

I think it's possible to say that a city offers more of a culture or a more diverse culture or has more cultural impact (as in cultural trends in a city have an effect on the general American culture). Houston doesn't really transmit its culture to the rest of the US too much so.

The Bay Area is definitely not all about white people nor is it only white people who praise the Bay Area for that (also, white people includes a lot of different peoples--you'll be hard-pressed to say that recent arrivals from Russia, Portugal, Brazil or Iran are particularly similar to each other).

Anyhow, the important thing is whether or not these cultures have particularly strong influences as that's what's up for debate.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I think you need to ask yourself why certain people live in certain cities. A clear fact is, you ARE NOT!

By hispanics you really mean Mexican. Last time I looked at a map of North America, Mexico was right next to Texas. Creole/Spanish again due to Louisiana being right there, plus again the Mexico-Spanish influence. And as for the large African-American population...what was that "peculiar institution" that existed prior to the Civil War? And that is all fine, but you are deriding all the otehr cities, what because they have a different set of people?

Lets look at Boston. The French came down from Quebec. Obviously the Spanish/Mexican influence on Boston is neglibable. The Irish came over in the 1840's.Well before Texas was a state. The English (and Scots) founded the city and region, so their influence is lasting. The Italians came over shortly thereafter. Followed by every European ethnicity there is--All to work in New England's factories or work as fisherman in our many many ports. In the 1900's the Asians came. Boston has a very very large Chinese and Vietnamese community. African American came up in the mid 20th century to avoid the Jim Crow laws in place down south. But they also went to New York City and Chicago as well. Boston as a huge Hatian/African Creole population, as well as a large West African population. Boston's hispanic population happens to be mostly Puerto Rican, which is quite different from Mexico.

I'm from western Mass, and a city here is 1/3 Puerto Rican. does that make it diverse? It makes it more diverse if than it was just white anglo saxon protestants, but there are Irish Catholics, Italians, Polish, Portuguese, Greeks, Germans, Russians, all of whom are very different. They might be all white, but each contributes something unique.

You want us to admit Houston is one of the most diverse cities, simply because there are a lot of Hispanics most of whom happen to be Mexican and African-Americans. Who I believe combined make up a minority-majority. So diversity is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you are certainly not right.
Wow I guess you don't realize that when I say Black population; that's including Nigerians, Ethiopian, and more. I don't want you to admit nothing; and if your going to talk down on a place; at least get your facts straight.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-10-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it's possible to say that a city offers more of a culture or a more diverse culture or has more cultural impact (as in cultural trends in a city have an effect on the general American culture). Houston doesn't really transmit its culture to the rest of the US too much so.

The Bay Area is definitely not all about white people nor is it only white people who praise the Bay Area for that (also, white people includes a lot of different peoples--you'll be hard-pressed to say that recent arrivals from Russia, Portugal, Brazil or Iran are particularly similar to each other).

Anyhow, the important thing is whether or not these cultures have particularly strong influences as that's what's up for debate.
That's why I said San Francisco and not the Bay Area (which is probably one of the most diverse areas in the country; I couldn't say the same for the Boston Metropolitan area). Having a influential culture doesn't equate to a city offering more culture. Houston just lacks the publicity and media attention the other cities offer. It's a little egotistical to admit a place is more cultured than another considering Houston offers cultures neither of these cities offer.

Are you telling me the West Coast or Northeast culture is better than the southern culture? Are you telling me people from those areas are more cultural than people from Houston; yet Houston ranks up with the rest as far as diversity? This is how your attitudes and comments come cross to me as far as the culture argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City