Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM

521 posts, read 1,308,625 times

Advertisements

okay, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 PM

346 posts, read 736,404 times
[quote=TheWereRabbit;9879504] And Houston? is Houston even the most important city in Texas?
largest medical center and bio reserch center in america if not the world, I think health care is a plus. Energy capital of america if not the world and no its not all oil dependent, and second in fortune 500 companies in america, only behind NY, all concentrated in the inner loop, and the lowest vacancy rate in what is already the third largest downtown district in office space in america. Strong economy and lots of jobs. And THE port city of texas as well as this south central region of the U.S So yes its the most important city in texas

Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,942,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
And Houston? is Houston even the most important city in Texas?
largest medical center and bio reserch center in america if not the world, I think health care is a plus. Energy capital of america if not the world and no its not all oil dependent, and second in fortune 500 companies in america, only behind NY, all concentrated in the inner loop, and the lowest vacancy rate in what is already the third largest downtown district in office space in america. Strong economy and lots of jobs. And THE port city of texas as well as this south central region of the U.S So yes its the most important city in texas
I don't think it has the 3rd largest office space in downtown. I think that is Philadelphia.

And Boston is possibly the number one place for Medical research, but Houston has the larger Medical Center and the best cancer treatment Hospital in the nation. And TMC is still expanding at a far more rapid rate than anyone can imagine.

You'll get some crazy Boston posters (not all but some) jumping you on your post, so just giving you the heads up. They don't like Houston. And then you'll have some Houston poster saying something that would tick everyone else off. Yeah we've seen this happen before folks.

Anyways with the topic-

Importance:
Washington DC > San Francisco > Houston > Boston

Old 08-06-2010, 03:09 PM

614 posts, read 1,757,173 times
Atlanta is more important that San Fran in my opinion. And more important than Houston. Probably more than Boston Also. So that leaves Dc which is definitely the top 4 most important cities.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Atlanta is more important that San Fran in my opinion. And more important than Houston. Probably more than Boston Also. So that leaves Dc which is definitely the top 4 most important cities.
To be fairly honest though, Washington DC is in the top four.

This thread shouldn't even exist. Especially with the rise Washington DC has been having economically, plus the fact that it is the national capital. But I can say that the Bay Area gives it a great run too.

Houston & Boston shouldn't even be in this thread, IMO they are not top 5 material just yet.

Top 4:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC

Top 5:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC
- San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland

Houston would be my 6th option.
Nothing else really matters outside of those 4-5 on global importance, IMO. (NYC, LA, CHI, DC, Bay Area)

Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,049,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

This thread shouldn't even exist. Especially with the rise Washington DC has been having economically, plus the fact that it is the national capital. But I can say that the Bay Area gives it a great run too.

Houston & Boston shouldn't even be in this thread, IMO they are not top 5 material just yet.

Top 4:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC

Top 5:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC

Nothing else really matters outside of those 4-5 on global importance, IMO.
Nope; Houston and Boston matters. None of those cities can compete in Oil/Energy when compared to Houston.

Finance: NYC
Logistics/Transportation: Chicago
Technology: San Francisco (Bay Area)
Government/Politics: DC
Oil/Energy: Houston
Ports/Entertainment: Los Angeles
Medicine/Education: Boston

That's why these cities are ranked Tier 1 when it comes to funding by homeland security. They are the most important.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Nope; Houston matters. None of those cities can compete in Oil/Energy when compared to Houston.

Finance: NYC
Logistics/Transportation: Chicago
Technology: San Francisco
Government/Politics: DC
Oil/Energy: Houston
Ports/Entertainment: Los Angeles
Medicine/Education: Boston

That's why these cities receive the must funding from Homeland Security. They are the most important.
I had just edited it right before your post lol.

Yeah Houston has a very powerful industry, energy and it has a very important port too.

I think you have a good point though jluke.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,699,895 times
Quote:

Top 4:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC

Top 5:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC

Houston would be my 6th option.
Nothing else really matters outside of those 4-5 on global importance, IMO. (NYC, LA, CHI, DC, Bay Area)
Since when does a three seperate cities equal one? Pick one. Thats not even an MSA its a CSA.

This is how it goes:
Blue= First tier
Red= Second Tier
Green= Third tier

NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
Philly
Miami
DFW
Boston
Detroit
Houston
Atlanta
Sanfran
Pheonix
Seattle
San Diego
Twin Cities
St.Louis
Bmore
Tampa
Denver
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Portland
San Jose
Riverside
Cinncy
VA beach
Sacramento

Old 08-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Since when does a three seperate cities equal one? Pick one. Thats not even an MSA its a CSA.

This is how it goes:
Blue= First tier
Red= Second Tier
Green= Third tier

NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
Philly
Miami
DFW
Boston
Detroit
Houston
Atlanta
Sanfran
Pheonix
Seattle
San Diego
Twin Cities
St.Louis
Bmore
Tampa
Denver
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Portland
San Jose
Riverside
Cinncy
VA beach
Sacramento
Overall agreed. But I think Bay Area San Jose & San Francisco in general have a lot of influence and can easily be number 5.

Even without San Jose, I think San Francisco can hold onto number 5.

So if I had to pick one of the three, it would be San Francisco. Even though they are a uniform region together.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,396,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
largest medical center and bio reserch center in america if not the world, I think health care is a plus.
Houston is very big in healthcare...but Boston is bigger. TMC is huge and expanding. But contrary to popular belief: bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

Quote:
all concentrated in the inner loop, and the lowest vacancy rate in what is already the third largest downtown district in office space in america.
What? Where'd you get that idea? It's not even close:

CBD Office Space
Houston: 35,491,566

Washington DC: 105,907,833

Boston: 64,779,144

San Francisco: 65,271,146

Philadelphia: 39,788,854

Seattle: 44,616,102

So no, Houston certainly doesn't have the third largest CBD in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Yikes. Any reasoning behind your opinion or are you just from Atlanta?

Quote:
You'll get some crazy Boston posters (not all but some) jumping you on your post, so just giving you the heads up. They don't like Houston. And then you'll have some Houston poster saying something that would tick everyone else off. Yeah we've seen this happen before folks.
Whatttttt? No crazy people here in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City