Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times

Advertisements

I want to move to NYC soooooo bad I'm about to go crazy. Ughhhh.

I just got back and I am obsessed all over again. Its so amazing!!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Again, some people think NYC is only Manhattan. There are beaches in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
I do not know why it is so hard for some people (especially southerners) to accept and admit that New York City is the largest most important city in America with international acclaim.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 PM
XBC

21 posts, read 51,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I do not know why it is so hard for some people (especially southerners) to accept and admit that New York City is the largest most important city in America with international acclaim.
And I don't know why it is so hard for some people (especially New Yorkers) to accept that New York City is not everyone's Mecca. I don't think anyone's arguing its not among the most important and influential cities. But not everyone has a desire to live there, people are happy in their smaller cities, suburbs and rural areas. I don't see why people have to bring it up no matter how little the city pertains to the discussion. I don't get how NYC is the only place with culture. I don't get why (insert topic here) is automatically superior because its in NYC. I don't know what makes NYC a real city as opposed to say Orlando. I don't get how having a car is a bad thing. And for the life of me I don't get how a poster says how great something in their city is, is challenging your city.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
I want to move to NYC soooooo bad I'm about to go crazy. Ughhhh.

I just got back and I am obsessed all over again. Its so amazing!!
I am from Philadelphia, a relatively dense city, and New York blew me away too. The sheer size and density was very impressive. But seeing that you are rom Houston, wow I can't imagine the difference between NYC and your city.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:22 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBC View Post
And I don't know why it is so hard for some people (especially New Yorkers) to accept that New York City is not everyone's Mecca. I don't think anyone's arguing its not among the most important and influential cities. But not everyone has a desire to live there, people are happy in their smaller cities, suburbs and rural areas. I don't see why people have to bring it up no matter how little the city pertains to the discussion. I don't get how NYC is the only place with culture. I don't get why (insert topic here) is automatically superior because its in NYC. I don't know what makes NYC a real city as opposed to say Orlando. I don't get how having a car is a bad thing. And for the life of me I don't get how a poster says how great something in their city is, is challenging your city.
Exactly. I am very happy living in the suburbs of Philadelphia and I don't want to live anywhere else in the world. New York is a wonderful city but it is not home to me, Philadelphia is. I don't have New York pride, I have Philadelphia pride. I am not a Mets fan (I f****** hate them), I am a proud Phillies fan. I hate the Giants, I absolutely love the Eagles. I went to New Brunswick, NJ (part of the NYC metro) and for me, I think Philly has nicer suburbs as far as rolling hills and affordable housing goes. I like South Jersey more than North Jersey. I think south Jersey is prettier and more affordable. Just my 2 cents. New York may have all the amenities of urban and suburban living that I love, but my home and my heart is Philadelphia and everything associated with it.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
1.A beach thats easy to access.
2.Cleanliness.
3.Low or moderate cost of living.
4.Vibrant House Music scene (gotta throw that in there being from Chicago)
5.Vibrant country music scene (I personally don't like country)
6.Warm weather year round
7.Laid back pace
8.Relaxed dress style

1. There are beaches within the city that are extremly easy to access. Theres basically a beach for every borough. If thats not your style than jones beach is not that far away.

I live 4 blocks west of the beach. I pay $1,100 in rent for a 1 bedroom. People living downtown or anywhere along the lakefront can walk or bike to the beach. I'm only talking about Chicago here.

Think of cities like Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, LA, etc.

2. Its a big urban city with 8million plus. Why would anyone expect new york to be clean. To me its clean enough

How is the number of people an excuse for cleanliness? NYC is a dirty city. Lets be real here.

3. There is low and moderate rents all through out the city, you just gotta look for them. Simple

Low to moderate rent? Compared to where? Would you want to live in any of these low rent areas? How much of your paycheck goes to rent and how much goes to entertainment?

4. Nyc is a hiphop/pop/rock city but im sure theres something here to accomadate you with house

I threw the House scene in there just to show that certain cities excel in certain aspects. New York is not big on the house scene. Techno is not house. They are two completely different animals. House Music is a culture in itself.

NYC has a GREAT music scene. I'd say the best in the country. But House Music and Country music aren't its strong points.

5. Nice joke

It's not a joke. Its to show you that despite what you may believe. NYC is not the best at everything.

6. Four seasons. And at the same time new york hasnt really been all that cold lately. Its been like that for a minute now

Did I mention 4 seasons at all? Not once. I said WARM WEATHER YEAR ROUND. Once again, if people want warm weather year round, maybe NYC won't be their 1st choice.
7. Depends on where u live/work

There's not much laid back about NYC. Maybe way out in the outer boroughs but that would still be considered fast paced to a majority of the country.

8. Not sure what u mean by this. People dress "relaxed" all the way up to straight out eccentric

I mean that NYC is not really a jeans and t-shirt culture. It's the fashion capital of the country. This has a lot to do with it. For a lot of people, fashion is not that high up on their priority list.

I know my response sounded harsh but I'm pretty annoyed with some posters on here. Be honest about your city.

Chicago is cold. There's crime issues on the South and West sides. Taxes are high. I wish the public transit was more extensive.

See, that wasn't that hard. I was critical of my city.

Quit pretending that your city has no flaws and is the best for everybody. It's not. Don't get all bent out of shape....no city is.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 PM

123 posts, read 246,410 times
Simply because NYC is EVERYTHING.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
Simply because NYC is EVERYTHING.
what he said

Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBC View Post
NYC is pretty much the poster boy when you mention a city in the North America and a strong contender for worlds best city.

But come on you can have a 30 page thread on Arizona vs New Mexico click on the first page on topic. Click on page 30 its an argument involving NYC.

Posters from a certain area just has to take every opportunity to brag. Someone from a certain city says how great the public transportation is NYCers jump in and immediately compare it to there city. In my short time here I've learned cars are bad public transportation is a godsend. Nyc is the only "real city" (especially compared to the south) and the rest of America is just white, black and brown NYC is the only city with culture (I now detest the word). And when they brag about something but another poster mentions that their city has them beat in that aspect and provides proof all of a sudden the thing they wouldn't be quiet about is unimportant.
Nice post. You share my sentiments also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City