Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Pick View Post
Hahaha. So NYC is both cheaper and more expensive than Boston, at the same time???? People don't pay for crap in NYC??? Is that why it costs 3K to rent a box to live in in Manhattan? And no hair color? Huh??? Someone got their feelings hurt in Dorchester or JP it sounds like....
Haven't you heard? Gettin ya hayah colahed is wicked queeyah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,522,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
No. Everyone from Boston has said NYC.

Quite the contrary, Clevedave (who is not from boston) was arguing (in some way or another) that aspects of Boston are more expensive and tmac (who is from boston) was questioning it.

Clevedave's original claim that people in Boston "love to pay a lot of money for crap" is completely ridiculous and tmac was right to question it.
I lived in and around NYC my entire life until I was thirty seven and for the past nine years I've lived in Boston, so I complement you on your active imagination!

Bostonians wouldn't know a sale if they tripped over one, and they LOVE paying full price for things. It makes them feel upper crust, which is a common aspiration in the area. The irony of that tactic is that the upper crust of NE, a stingy bunch, know how to squeeze a dollar till it bleeds (blue). But they're happy eating jello and wearing dear old dead dad's holey sweaters, so that makes it easy.

I'll add another example beside terrible hair coloring services--restaurants. You will go a restaurant in Boston and pay 18-25 dollars for a completely average entree that's distinguished only by it's volume. While in NYC many times you'll pay the same price for a much higher quality product, or, shockingly, less. The competition in NYC creates a more highly skilled work force and a better service product.

"You get what you pay for" does NOT hold true in Boston.

So that's why I say, yes, rents and real estate (and insurance) costs more in NYC, but lots of the other candy costs a lot less or your dollar buys more and/or better quality.

Last edited by clevedark; 07-23-2009 at 06:16 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,803 times
Overall, NYC by far.

I will say, however, that there are certain things that are cheaper due to the enormous spectrum NYC has to offer. Most likely competition and different priorities have driven certain services lower. For instance, taxis are waaaay cheaper in NY. Dry cleaning is also cheaper. You can also find delicious cheap food. I love wandering into a bohemian little indian or french place with my wife in the east village and doing it up for 30 bucks.

Ironically, Boston does have a pretention to it that is rare in New York. This isnt to say that this quality is missing from new yorkers. You can find it, just like you can find anything else in new york.

When you add it all up though, you need almost double the income to live an equivalent lifestyle in NYC. This is coming from a guy who lived in boston for 6 years in the back bay (newbury st) and now lives in the upper east side.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drose1 View Post
which of brooklyn, queens, and the bronx would you say is the best to live in just general?
QUEENS...by far!

Bronx is REALLY out there...Brooklyn can be good for vicinity, but has a bit rougher edge to it.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 AM

Yes, for some reasons Bostonians love to dwell on how expensive their city is while NYers just go about their businesss.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Yup, all we do is talk about how elite we are. Being pretentious and paying top dollar shows how much more important we are than others. You simpleton New Yorkers just wouldn't understand that. You're too busy working that you just don't have the time to be flashy.

Your claim reminds me of a Simpsons episode. Marge was daydreaming that Lisa was graduating college, and the Dean of Harvard says:

"Congratulations, Lisa Simpson! You've just graduated from Harvard, the most expensive, and therefore the best University in the world!"

Me and every other Bostonian ever have decided to live by that quote.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,288 times
Pardon me, I would love to continue this discussion, but I need to go spend some money.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Meet me on Newbury St in 45 minutes. We can buy exquisite paintings and then have a money fight. The new Mandarin Oriental and Apple Store is only a street away, so after our money fight/painting splurge we can go buy laptops, drink expensive drinks and eat even more expensive steaks/lobsters.

It's not easy being this rich and important.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Newbury street is shuttered and dead.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Lol, really? I'll be back in a half hour with some pictures of deserted Newbury Street...or at least what remains there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City