Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 567 65.17%
Philadelphia 303 34.83%
Voters: 870. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
That ALMOST looks like the list of counties covered by the NWS for Philly aka Mount Holly.

And now i am supposed to believe Dover, DE is included as well? On that token ( considering distance ) i guess for Chicago we can include all of N.Indiana to say Michigan City IN and up the lake to Milwaukee and out to say Rockford? YES that is what you all are suggesting.

Come on now. I love Philly ( hometown so why shouldn't i? ) but you guys are pushing it to extremes.
Why do you think I'm making this up?

This is a report from the U.S. Census Bureau from earlier this year:

Philadelphia Region
(page 111)
Atlantic City MSA
Dover, DE MSA
Ocean City MSA
Philadelphia MSA
Reading MSA
Vineland MSA

Therefore, these counties are included in the Philadelphia Region:
Philadelphia County, PA
Bucks County, PA
Montgomery County, PA
Delaware County, PA
Chester County, PA
Berks County, PA
Camden County, NJ
Burlington County, NJ
Gloucester County NJ
Cumberland County, NJ
Salem County, NJ
Cape May County, NJ
Atlantic County, NJ
New Castle County, DE
Kent County, DE
Cecil County, MD

Are you going to question the U.S. Census Bureau as well? The guys who come up with these Regions?
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...013/b13-01.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
There is a lot of boosterism going on, the beaches in Chicago aren't that great. So let's get real. I have a hard time calling them a "beach" the sand is brown and full of rocks and pebbles, there is often lots of stuff floating in the water, it can be fairly nasty esp around the crowded areas, dogs swimming when they aren't supposed to be or up against a barrier where things accumulate, waves are non existent, don't let somebody post some winter storm of waves, it's completely slick like well, a lake... It's more like you can go out to the waterfront and do some stuff and there is some sand, and that's a plus. The views are nice, the breeze is nice, and it is relaxing for sure. The lake can be refreshing to take a dip into on a hot summer day to cool off. The lakefront running and bike paths along with parkspace are pretty awesome though, but the beach itself? Not so much. But can't be compared to ocean beaches on the East Coast...just not the same.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
I have no idea what beaches you have visited. The Dunes beaches in Indiana have what is considered to be some of the best sand on Earth....

Singing sand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to say waves are non-existent is a total lie. The lake is very changeable, one day there will be no waves and the next day there could be 2 meter swells. And as I mentioned earlier, the best waves are not un the city beaches but in the Dunes as the beach faces north.

And what do you mean completely slick like a lake? I've been out on sailboats where on a sunny day the water is so clear you can see the sand on the bottom through like 20 feet or crystal clear water. Just curious, how many times have you been to Lake Michigan?

http://svcdn.simpleviewinc.com/v3/ca...51CCEB16A9.jpg

And as someone who was once dragged two miles in a nasty rip current at the height of summer in the Dunes, I can assure you that Lake Michigan does indeed have waves, and not just in winter, deadly waves even...

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...nts_study.html

Last edited by midwest1; 07-18-2013 at 11:20 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
If anything NYC is tainting the Philadlephia area especially our once pristine beach areas that the North Jersey/NYers have begun to Snookyfy.

Philadelphia stands on its own.
YOUR "once" pristine beaches? *snort*

Gotta love people from PA claiming parts of NJ. But hey, NY people do it, too. No wonder we're known as the state without an identity… just saying it like it is.

Last I checked, as many New Yorkers and people from many other Northeastern U.S. and even Canadian areas come to the Jersey Shore in the summer, as well as people from NJ (us North Jerseyans have as much a right to come to any NJ beach as someone from PA…seriously?).

The Jersey Shore is hardly the "Philadelphia area". Nor is it the NYC area. It stands on its own. It's part of their CSAs or MSAs or metro region, but it's its own unique area with millions of visitors from everywhere, its own unique culture, even its own unique music genre. People from NY and Canada will go as far down as Cape May and people from PA will go as far north as Sandy Hook, so people from out of state span the whole shore. No one can claim any specific region, except maybe locals or New Jerseyans ourselves if you really want to go there.

Therefore, as I've said earlier in this thread, for beaches as a category, I would pick Chicago over Philadelphia because Chicago's beaches are right there. Philly's closest beaches (not counting any lakes) are in another state 70 miles away. But if this were NYC vs Chicago, for beaches I'd pick NYC for their even better access to ocean beaches.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-18-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
You sound like a noisy old **** broad.

Sorry hunny, but when its 90 out, I dont care whether its ocean water or fresh water, as long as I can go swimming in it and tan on the beach.
Thanks for your wonderful opinion, "hunny", but I still much prefer ocean beaches. Calling me names won't make me recant that, ever.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
YOUR "once" pristine beaches? *snort*

Gotta love people from PA claiming parts of NJ. But hey, NY people do it, too. No wonder we're known as the state without an identity… just saying it like it is.

Last I checked, as many New Yorkers and people from many other Northeastern U.S. and even Canadian areas come to the Jersey Shore in the summer, as well as people from NJ (us North Jerseyans have as much a right to come to any NJ beach as someone from PA…seriously?).

The Jersey Shore is hardly the "Philadelphia area". Nor is it the NYC area. It stands on its own. It's part of their CSAs or MSAs or metro region, but it's its own unique area with millions of visitors from everywhere, its own unique culture, even its own unique music genre. People from NY and Canada will go as far down as Cape May and people from PA will go as far north as Sandy Hook, so people from out of state span the whole shore. No one can claim any specific region, except maybe locals or New Jerseyans ourselves if you really want to go there.

Therefore, as I've said earlier in this thread, for beaches as a category, I would pick Chicago over Philadelphia because Chicago's beaches are right there. Philly's closest beaches (not counting any lakes) are in another state 70 miles away. But if this were NYC vs Chicago, for beaches I'd pick NYC for their even better access to ocean beaches.
You do understand that cultural influence can go beyond state borders right? Going by your logic, Western Pennsylvania would be more culturally connected to Philly than South Jersey would be.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 AM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You do understand that cultural influence can go beyond state borders right? Going by your logic, Western Pennsylvania would be more culturally connected to Philly than South Jersey would be.

Look at her post again. See where it says 70 MILES?? Yes we all know alot of people from Philly VACATION ( Used Caps for a reason ) in S.NJ at the shore ( same for DE Beaches for that matter ) but that does not mean it is a part of Philly. People go there to GET AWAY from Philly. Follow me? Sorry but Philly cannot lay claim to the Jersey shore. Almost like suggesting the Pocono's are part of Philly.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think all of that sums it up well. You wouldn't refer to Ocean City or Cape May as "suburban Philadelphia," but it's completely legitimate to incorporate it into the Greater Philadelphia sphere of influence.
This is how I think of it. I think of those places as a part of the Greater Philadelphia area, or the Delaware Valley, but I have a more narrow view of what constitutes a suburb. I don't think you'd have to limit it to just New Jersey. If the University of Delaware started advertising Newark as a suburb of Philadelphia, I'd say they were wrong. But if they advertised being in the Philadelphia area, that would be fine.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
There is a lot of boosterism going on, the beaches in Chicago aren't that great. So let's get real. I have a hard time calling them a "beach" the sand is brown and full of rocks and pebbles, there is often lots of stuff floating in the water, it can be fairly nasty esp around the crowded areas, dogs swimming when they aren't supposed to be or up against a barrier where things accumulate, waves are non existent, don't let somebody post some winter storm of waves, it's completely slick like well, a lake... It's more like you can go out to the waterfront and do some stuff and there is some sand, and that's a plus. The views are nice, the breeze is nice, and it is relaxing for sure. The lake can be refreshing to take a dip into on a hot summer day to cool off. The lakefront running and bike paths along with parkspace are pretty awesome though, but the beach itself? Not so much. But can't be compared to ocean beaches on the East Coast...just not the same.

So much of this is untrue that I wonder why you would even bother to make all this up - I grew up windsurfing in Door County. Lake Michigan is one of the most dangerous bodies of water in the world for shipping. And why would that be? Sea serpents? A Bermuda Triangle-like wormhole? Waves commonly go up to 20-25 feet. I've been caught in 10-15 foot rollers rollers dozens of times.

As mentioned, the beach itself in the city doesn't compare to the other beautiful beaches around Lake Michigan, but you can easily take a short ride on the train to the giant Indiana Dunes, the great sandy expanses of North Beach in Racine, etc., and it's still a sandy beach right in downtown.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I have no idea what beaches you have visited. The Dunes beaches in Indiana have what is considered to be some of the best sand on Earth....

Singing sand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to say waves are non-existent is a total lie. The lake is very changeable, one day there will be no waves and the next day there could be 2 meter swells. And as I mentioned earlier, the best waves are not un the city beaches but in the Dunes as the beach faces north.

And what do you mean completely slick like a lake? I've been out on sailboats where on a sunny day the water is so clear you can see the sand on the bottom through like 20 feet or crystal clear water. Just curious, how many times have you been to Lake Michigan?

http://svcdn.simpleviewinc.com/v3/ca...51CCEB16A9.jpg

And as someone who was once dragged two miles in a nasty rip current at the height of summer in the Dunes, I can assure you that Lake Michigan does indeed have waves, and not just in winter, deadly waves even...

Dozens of drownings each year prompt Lake Michigan rip currents study | MLive.com
I forgot where the dunes had been moved to Chicago. Not responding to your other malarky. 2 meter swells, what, in a storm? they aren't rolling on to the beaches in the city on a normal day. There are jettys to break them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City