Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times

Advertisements

Come on man, opinions and when you hit facts (crime) you're wrong - Philly has a higher murder rate than Chicago.

"Philadelphia’s rate of 15.96 homicides per 100,000 residents in 2013 remains slightly higher than Chicago’s rate and four times higher than New York City." Philadelphia still suffering higher homicide rate than largest US cities, but also showing greater progress | #GunCrisis: Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Come on man, opinions and when you hit facts (crime) you're wrong - Philly has a higher murder rate than Chicago.

"Philadelphia’s rate of 15.96 homicides per 100,000 residents in 2013 remains slightly higher than Chicago’s rate and four times higher than New York City." Philadelphia still suffering higher homicide rate than largest US cities, but also showing greater progress | #GunCrisis: Philadelphia

Yea arguing crime for either one of these cities is a losing fight lol. They are both big old cities with good histories and went through tough times in the latter half of the 20th century. Both boast a variety of different types of fine dining and have their own unique regional dishes. However there is nothing quite like The Signature Room on the 95th Floor of the Hancock tower looking out at the water. There are plans for there to be a restaurant at the top of CITC which would provide similar height views, and hopefully a good view of the two rivers. However I still don't think it will top The Signature Room. Waterfront area is the big separator for me. Huffington Post did rank Philadelphia's Spruce Harbor Park as one of the best Urban Beaches in the world, along with North Avenue Beach in Chicago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jetset...b_5634517.html

Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,242 times
Chicago. .

Old 08-23-2014, 05:39 AM

305 posts, read 416,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post

I've lived in both cities for a few years and I have to say I liked Philly more than Chicago. Chicago was (and is) a great town, a very young town (big plus), and had tons to do, but at the end of the day you were still in the middle of the Midwest.
Good, the more isolated the less drama. DC, NYC, Jersey, Baltimore and more all connected right into Philly... I'm good.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:45 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Chicago is the better city. There is no way around that. However, Philadelphia is definitely the better metropolitan area and has a much better location.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Who wins for me? Best skyline- Chicago. Best waterfront-Chicago. Best housing stock- Chicago. ( reasons no row homes. Bungalow common housing style and much of the city built after late 50s). Cleanliness- Chicago (reasons manicured downtown and good neighborhoods clean tree lined). I live in central Pennsylvania and older small towns have large stocks of row homes. First time I visited Philly after living in Chicago a couple years. I thought I was still in row home filled hometown, cause of so many row homes and lack of tree lined streets. I did enjoy aspects of downtown Philly. Colonial areas. But sub par to Chicago in shopping. Chicago has many more top corporations that call it home and in housing stock downtown Chicago has boomed. In overcoming rust belt decay at least Downtowns. Chicago overcame hers much faster. Philly finally is doing better. Of course both cities have similar rust belt and racial issues and make-up. Both have good Restaurant scenes and local flavor uniqueness. Love a Philly cheesesteak and Chicago hot dog.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Chicago is the better city. There is no way around that. However, Philadelphia is definitely the better metropolitan area and has a much better location.
????

Philly is in a better location than this?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
????

Some people prefer to be in close proximity of oceans rather than lakes.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
????

I think he was referring to geographic proximity to other large urban destinations (NYC & DC mostly). Philly is hard to beat in that department. As far as location of the actual city itself and its surroundings, I'd say it's a toss up. Chicago obviously has amazing Lake Michigan at it's feet, but Philly has the rolling hills of the Northeast which can be beautiful and an ocean not too far away. Then again, I find beauty in the flat prairie lands with intermittent deciduous forestry too. In Chicago, you're also close to some beautiful nature in Michigan and Wisconsin. When it comes down to it, I prefer Chicago (even when considering location as a factor). Philly is no slouch though.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
????

I was referring to the sheer amount of things in close proximity to Philly. Chicago being on the lake sort of ties in to an amenity for the city itself - and I even said Chicago is the better city.

But for location? Philadelphia has the ocean- it's CSA borders the ocean, with the best boardwalks in the country. Mountains about an hour and a half away. Close proximity to NYC, Baltimore, Washington DC, etc. etc. Beautiful forests and state parks. Close to some of the country's best amusement parks - Six Flags Great Adventure, Hershey Park, Dorney Park, etc.

The suburbs itself? Some of the most charming and beautiful suburbs in the country. Walkable old towns and streetcar suburbs.

Hard to beat the location and suburbs of Philly once you get outside of the city proper for each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City