Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 567 65.17%
Philadelphia 303 34.83%
Voters: 870. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 04:38 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times

Advertisements

The only city that can be compared to Chicago is NY. I never liked Philly. It is a shadow city, a shadow of NY. Whenever in Philly, I am always aware that NY isn't too far away. I can't think of Philly without thinking about NY being not too far. Philly has an ugly way about it that reeks of grime and manufactured sophistication. In Boxing, its fighters are known for determining their worth by how much punishment they can take and remain standing. Not interested in a city that places value on how much punishment a person can endure as a measure of their self-worth. Seems absolutely a stupid way to go through life.

Chicago, on the other hand, stands on its own. It is the giant of the Midwest, a powerful city of broad shoulders that dominates an entire region of the US. It's a place of quiet quality, extraordinary in every way without being in your face about it. Some of the most down-to-earth, good-natured people I have known reside here. It is not shadowed by any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 04:50 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No, I didn't forget to include Princeton because it shouldn't be included in it. Princeton is almost 45 miles from Philadelphia. Everything I listed in that list above is either in the city of Philadelphia or in the city of Chicago. Except for Northwestern which is in Evanston, which is literally 1 mile outside of the city and has a large medical school/medical campus in downtown Chicago.
It's traditionally been considered a Philly area school. Who cares what the census tracts says as it doesn't hold much weight in this particular scenario. Princeton is located in the outer fringes.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:50 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The only city that can be compared to Chicago is NY. I never liked Philly. It is a shadow city, a shadow of NY. Whenever in Philly, I am always aware that NY isn't too far away. I can't think of Philly without thinking about NY being not too far. Philly has an ugly way about it that reeks of grime and manufactured sophistication. In Boxing, its fighters are known for determining their worth by how much punishment they can take and remain standing. Not interested in a city that places value on how much punishment a person can endure as a measure of their self-worth. Seems absolutely a stupid way to go through life.

Chicago, on the other hand, stands on its own. It is the giant of the Midwest, a powerful city of broad shoulders that dominates an entire region of the US. It's a place of quiet quality, extraordinary in every way without being in your face about it. Some of the most down-to-earth, good-natured people I have known reside here. It is not shadowed by any city.

Chicago is closer in size by any measure to Philly than it is to New York. Anyone unbiased can see that.

Chicago of course in in the shadow of New York and LA. Anyone unbiased can see that. I can 100% understand why someone would prefer Chicago as a city to LA (or New York for that matter), but of course Chicago is in the shadow of them.

2.7 is close to 1.5 than it is to 8.1 Pop densities of Chicago and Philly are nearly the same, while pop density of New York is nearly 2 and a half times that of Chicago or Philly. (even LAs pop density is closer to Chicagos than Chicagos is to New York 8,000 vs. 11,000, rather than 11,000 to 26,000).

Old 11-01-2014, 04:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,148,760 times
Chicago. Chicago is much more impressive in the downtown area. Philly is still really lacking some major retail stores in their downtown. That's why I never put Philly on San Francisco's level. Chicago is much larger and feels it. Philly is a great city, but it's a level below Chicago. People really have a disrespect for Chicago on here and I don't know why. Chicago is a great city with great food, architecture, a gorgeous lake and great suburbs. Love me some Chicago.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:54 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Chicago has two schools that are every bit as prestigious as any Ivy League school and compete for the same caliber of applicants.
Yeah U Chicago, and several other schools in the country, are better schools than the lion's share of the Ivies. The Ivies are prestigious in name but do not trump several schools in academic rigor.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Chicago. Chicago is much more impressive in the downtown area. Philly is still really lacking some major retail stores in their downtown. That's why I never put Philly on San Francisco's level. Chicago is much larger and feels it. Philly is a great city, but it's a level below Chicago. People really have a disrespect for Chicago on here and I don't know why. Chicago is a great city with great food, architecture, a gorgeous lake and great suburbs. Love me some Chicago.
How do you know its not people having disrespect for Philly. Yes, Chicago has a much more impressive downtown. That's its claim to fame. But there is always more to a city than just the downtown area.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:01 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,148,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
How do you know its not people having disrespect for Philly. Yes, Chicago has a much more impressive downtown. That's its claim to fame. But there is always more to a city than just the downtown area.

Agree.

Both Philly and Chicago have some nice areas. However, both cities have a lot of bad areas still. Both have high crime. Both need to adopt the NYC/ LA principle of reducing crime. I just always felt Chicago seemed much bigger. It is. You can't deny that. They really are different tiers no matter how much both are building new high rises and or still suffering from crime.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Hate to break it to you but Chicago(or any US city) wouldn't dominate any region if it were located less than 90 miles from New York City.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicago of course in in the shadow of New York and LA. Anyone unbiased can see that. I can 100% understand why someone would prefer Chicago as a city to LA (or New York for that matter), but of course Chicago is in the shadow of them.

2.7 is close to 1.5 than it is to 8.1 Pop densities of Chicago and Philly are nearly the same, while pop density of New York is nearly 2 and a half times that of Chicago or Philly. (even LAs pop density is closer to Chicagos than Chicagos is to New York 8,000 vs. 11,000, rather than 11,000 to 26,000).
Some people seem to forget that Philly used to have a larger population than Chicago.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Some people seem to forget that Philly used to have a larger population than Chicago.
Well that was a LONG time ago. St. Louis had a larger population than Chicago until the civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City