U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 AM

47 posts, read 92,824 times

Advertisements

Ciao. I recently started a discussion in the general US forum to find out a good place in USA for me, now with this topic I'm trying to make a better idea about these two cities.

I'm Italian and I'm planning to move USA in the next 2-3 years; I'm looking for a city with high-tech industries (I'm going to take a master of science in electronics engineering, and my dad is a computer scientist working in electronics automation industry)

WHAT I DON'T CARE:
It's not priority for me finding a city similiar to Italian/European cities (talking about architecture, way of life, people or weather). I'm escaping Italy to start a new life, I'm not looking for a Italy in the USA!

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
- As I said, a city with high-tech job avalaibility in electronics, automation and IT market.
- I'm used to live in Brescia, where we have a lot of mountains, woods and also a great lake area close to the city. I'd like a city geographically similiar.

Also I'd like a city without high cost of living (but consider that almost 100% of US States have lower cost of living and lower taxes than Italy.. and I saw that both Austin and Raleigh are not expensive, correct me if I'm wrong)

Unfortunately, even if I go in USA on vacation every year, I've never been neither in TX nor NC... I hope I'll visit both soon, to have a better idea of both the states.

Comments, ideas, experiences will be really aprreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 AM

226 posts, read 559,471 times
Seattle Washington and Pittsburgh Pennsylvania are both on the top 10 list of tech towns. Not Expensive at all, and both located in mountain and forested regions.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:36 AM

14,008 posts, read 22,017,852 times
Austin. Though I agree with Seattle also. But definately Austin.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Austin. Though I agree with Seattle also. But definately Austin.
Can you add some details? Why Austin? Better job market, better weather, better people...?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:00 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,077,907 times
Austin

Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 PM

98 posts, read 252,259 times
Austin has a lot of culture, but I'm not if they have the high-tech industry that you are looking for. Raleigh does. http://www.rtp.org/files/info@rtp/2008_rtp_at_a_glance_8_page_071608.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,483,883 times
Both have major pros and cons. It would be honestly a hard choice where to live, but for me personally Raleigh is closer to more things I enjoy, from outdoors to cities, compared to Austin, and that means something to me personally.

And though some Austin folks love UT, Raleigh-Durham is a much more exciting university town because it has three big schools instead of one, so a lot of fun to be had among the rivals. Austin has more "party" hype however but Chapel Hill's Franklin Street is no slouch either.

Bottomline: Austin and Raleigh are basically sister cities, with each having the largest metro growth rates in the country (Raleigh is #1 and Austin is #3); just remember things can change quickly in 2-3 years so check back frequently.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,881,468 times
I would say Austin. It has something for everyone and it has a pretty cool downtown and great shops. It also has wonderful outdoor activities. The thing about Austin's food is what I commented on in another thread. You have to look for them but there are some great choices. But I would say visit the places first so you know what to expect. I know they both are known for tech jobs. They have a college atmosphere. You'd be closer to mountains in Raleigh.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Austin
again, can you be more detailed... why Austin?

Maabus1999, Lovely95 and redfella, thank you for the infos!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:04 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,178,211 times
Isn't the COL in Austin rising very quickly? That happens to most cities that everyone suddenly decides they want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City