Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Metro
Hampton Roads 32 55.17%
Raleigh- Cary 26 44.83%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,324,635 times

Advertisements

Raleigh economic development video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
There is just simply more to do in Norfolk/Tidewater than Raleigh. Sorry Raleigh folks, but Norfolk wins this one hands down!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,324,635 times
True urbancharlotte.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times
Hampton Roads

Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,923 times
I used to party in Raleigh and hang out there. In my opinion...HR ALL DAY...hands down! Raleigh is overrated with little to do!!! Plus HR has beaches and just tons of fun and family things to do not to mention that the shopping is soooooo much better!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycole007 View Post
I used to party in Raleigh and hang out there. In my opinion...HR ALL DAY...hands down! Raleigh is overrated with little to do!!! Plus HR has beaches and just tons of fun and family things to do not to mention that the shopping is soooooo much better!
When?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
  • Economy: Currently Hampton Roads (higher GDP). Future outlook goes to Raleigh
  • Quality of Life: I thik it's more things to do in Hampton Roads
  • Transportation: Interstate access is a tie. HR is close to Rte. 13 which takes you to the northeast big cities.. Raleigh has 95 or 85 I forgot. Overall I chooe HR because you can take major cruises, two international airports, the port of virginia, norfolk international terminals
  • Cost of Living: Too high in HR. So I choose Raleigh,
  • Urban Living: Easily Hampton Roads
  • Diversity: HR because of the military
Actually, this goes to Raleigh-Durham. Raleigh has a GDP of $53 billion, Durham is at $32 billion. That's $85 billion. HR is at $73 or $77 billion.

You also underestimate the amount of diversity that comes to Raleigh-Durham due to the colleges. Remember, you have Duke, UNC, and NCSU. While HR has NSU and Hampton, Raleigh-Durham has NC Central (best law school for females), Shaw, and St. Augustines. Also, while the MEAC is Division I, the CIAA has more of a fan base. So diversity could be questionable.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 AM

963 posts, read 2,398,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You also underestimate the amount of diversity that comes to Raleigh-Durham due to the colleges. Remember, you have Duke, UNC, and NCSU. While HR has NSU and Hampton, Raleigh-Durham has NC Central (best law school for females), Shaw, and St. Augustines. Also, while the MEAC is Division I, the CIAA has more of a fan base. So diversity could be questionable.
I think so, definitely. Just between Duke, UNC and Research Triangle Park, there are swaths of Durham and Chapel Hill that are like walking into the United Nations, and it's omnipresent.

I think the difference between the metros are really differences in the kinds of diversity. The vibe in HR is very military, the vibe in The Triangle is extremely tech/academic, so across all ethnic boundaries, you have very different demographics dominating social culture in the areas. I think the oft-quoted statistic is that The Triangle has the highest per-capita concentration of PhD's in the world.

On that front, I like the braininess of parts of the Triangle - most of the time, though Chapel Hill is definitely a place that could use a bit more Skynyrd and a bit less Sonic Youth. And HR's relative unpretentiousness does (for the same kind of reason) sometimes seem like a breath of fresh air, from a distance at least.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
If one just looks at the reality of how people are "voting with their feet", the Triangle is blowing away HR and most of the country. As this recession lifts, I suspect that we'll see a continued boom in both DT Raleigh and Durham and more renewal and development of the inner ring of suburban development along the lines of North Hills in Raleigh.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If one just looks at the reality of how people are "voting with their feet", the Triangle is blowing away HR and most of the country. As this recession lifts, I suspect that we'll see a continued boom in both DT Raleigh and Durham and more renewal and development of the inner ring of suburban development along the lines of North Hills in Raleigh.
I've seen some of the development of this place online and it looks amazing. This area and Crabtree remind me of smaller areas of Southpark. Next time I'm in Raleigh I've got to look at this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City