Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,011 times

Advertisements

Mid-size city departments tend to have the best officers. Big enough to have plenty to keep the officers busy, but small enough for effective oversight. I think we have a great department here in Omaha, and I get sick when I hear about case after case of police corruption or abuse in LA or Chicago. Certianly there are good officers in those departments as well, but that doesn't excuse some of the stories I hear come out of those cities...

Old 07-29-2009, 03:13 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,370 times
20 Years ago I would of said LA in a heartbeat although the cops are still bad its nothing compared to the days when C.R.A.S.H. was in full effect. As for now I would say NYPD and Chicago's PD because lets face it the ones that are in the hood are complete jerks they rarely help you and half of them are crooket.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Historically, the LAPD has been one of the worst with 20+ years of corruption and of course charges of racism. Not sure how it is today.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
San Francisco has a pretty broken police force. It's understaffed, underfunded, and morale is extremely low due to poor leadership, a DA who won't prosecute, and city politics that constantly tie their hands.

Officers will often try and convince you to not file a police report, for things such as car break ins and sometimes even more serious stuff such as purse snatchings (such as one recent example in which the officer basically told the victim, "what's the point, you won't get your stuff back"). I've heard rumors that they sometimes also do such things as downgrade crimes to lesser offenses in their reports. There have been cover-ups involving two police Chiefs over the past 15 years, there are tons of pencil pushers doing nothing but eating up resources, oversight and punishment for officers is notoriously slow, and tends to make bad apple officers into said resource-eating pencil pushers (there are currently hundreds of officers on desk jobs and this is in a force of 2,000 that's understaffed).

The SFPD website is basically useless for looking up crime stats.

They also seem to cook the books, and/or willingly omit certain information from the public view (this has to be mostly from pressure within the Mayors office and by extension business interests who don't want the tourist industry...or certain political ambitions to suffer during a time of increasing crime in the city). The SFPD constantly releases murder stats that are lower than the FBI stats for SF. There have been multiple incidents recently of clear murder victims being labeled as suspicious deaths, or even accidental deaths and suicides...Or they're just kept in limbo with a medical examiner report that says "cause of death unknown."

One example of what the SFPD considers a "suicide" is: a French national stabbing himself multiple times outside of his apartment, going inside and locking the door, before washing the knife, and disposing of it (no knife was ever found). Neighbors heard a commotion and someone running away, but cops almost immediately implied it was a suicide, and ignored them. Ultimately, French inspectors came to SF and ruled it a homicide. The SFPD is "reviewing" their report.

The departments computers are pretty much universally outdated too.

The Fraud department is so understaffed and backed up that you currently have to wait 6 months to a year to have your case handled. They prioritize elderly victims, because they don't want them to die while waiting. I am completely serious, look it up.

I personally have been hassled by a couple attitude-having officers doing the good-cop bad-cop thing, for doing nothing but waiting for the bus. they thought i was someone else, and wouldn't tell me what was going on until after they yelled at me, searched me and detained me for half an hour. Then they let me go without saying sorry.

And it's not like the pay is low. Starting salary for an SF police officer is $80,000 a year, and many officers rake in $100,000+ in overtime. The SFPD also charges the most out of any US city for security at TV and film shoots, about $100 an hour per squad car, or $80 an hour for a motorcycle cop (if i remember right).

Our arrest and conviction rate is currently one the lowest out of any large US city. Our homicide clearance rate in 2007 was the lowest, at 32% compared with a national average of 52%.

That's the bad...of course most officers are good and professional and do a great job, but the problems with the SFPD, especially on the command/leadership level are pretty widespread.

We have a new chief coming in, George Gascon of Mesa, AZ, and he has lots and lots of ideas on how to improve the SFPD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
20 Years ago I would of said LA in a heartbeat although the cops are still bad its nothing compared to the days when C.R.A.S.H. was in full effect. As for now I would say NYPD and Chicago's PD because lets face it the ones that are in the hood are complete jerks they rarely help you and half of them are crooket.
SF had a similar unit named C.R.U.S.H (Crime Unit to Stop Homicides) in the late 70's and 80's that was tasked with stopping gang warfare in the city (when violent crime was at an all time high in SF), and had a similar reputation as C.R.A.S.H. The head of the unit was allegedly an inspiration for Denzel Washington's Character in the movie Training Day (he was actually a technical advisor on the movie as well).

Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
I'd like to nominate my city's police force the Alexandria, VA Police Dept as the worst. Our police chief just got arrested for DUI. What message does that send to your force?

Fairfax County, VA gives out a whole mess of BS tickets like they have nothing better to do. Plus if they were ever in real danger i'll put my money on the criminal.

Prince George's County, MD should be an honorable mention. I'm more afraid of them than the actual criminals in PG County. They currently have a big cover-up going when they murdered a suspect in jail to get revenge because the suspect was accused (but not tried and convicted) of killing one of their own. They are like their own little gang.

For best, I'll give the York County-Poquoson Police Force in Virginia an honorable mention. They are very professional and are an active part of the community.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think the NYPD is both the best and worst police department it just depends on the location, like in tourist areas they'll be nice and helpful but in the hood many are disrespectful and will start hassling and killing innocent people for no reason.
I agree, NYC is one the toughest cities in the East. Where I live now, many people are scared to be NYC cop. They have told me that they prefer to work here as a cop. NYPD it has the best police department. Back then the crime in NYC was sky-rocketing, now it is much safer thanks to the police. However, there are many corrupted police in NYC. They have killed Sean Bell, Amadeo Diallo, etc..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:01 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,072 times
I hope Boston comes out with this form

This is Boston college police

These guys are all over Boston.

The staties
Boston has a tight Harbor patrol

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
I hope Boston comes out with this form

This is Boston college police

These guys are all over Boston.

The staties
Boston has a tight Harbor patrol

State Police lol they are the worst. They will give you a ticket for no reason.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
State Police lol they are the worst. They will give you a ticket for no reason.
lol there are so many staties around the city and night construction.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
All I know is that LAPD has the two best cops!! TWO THUMBS UP, BABY!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City