U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (wilshire/westwood)
805 posts, read 1,517,614 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Okay, you win. The world revolves around LA and everyone else just wishes they were so cool.

Blah who said the world revolved around LA? I am just stating that American cinema is more popular globaly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
 
13,302 posts, read 12,877,927 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I agree LA is not all that
And Hollywood isn't NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,383 posts, read 5,421,092 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And Hollywood isn't NYC.
Duh, everybody knows that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
 
29 posts, read 55,638 times
Reputation: 21
ill say miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Louisville
3,218 posts, read 8,919,370 times
Reputation: 947
Yes, NYC is an amazing city, but I can't believe we are actually arguing whether or not NYC produces more movies than LA. It is very obvious that LA does. It's simple to use a green screen or some type of backdrop or even part of Downtown LA in a scene that is supposed to be NYC.

Also, if you consider porno movies in the movie industry, LA is the undisputed champ when you add both the main-stream films and pornos. The San Fernando Valley is the center of all the adult film industry.

From Wiki:
According to the HBO series Porn Valley, nearly 90% of all legally distributed pornographic films made in the United States are either filmed in or produced by studios based in the San Fernando Valley.

The production is concentrated in San Fernando Valley (mainly in Chatsworth, Reseda and Van Nuys) and Las Vegas, where more than 200 adult entertainment companies gather to network and show off their latest wares.

Vivid Entertainment Group is the world's largest adult video producer, (based in Los Angeles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Earth
11,905 posts, read 12,907,581 times
Reputation: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes, NYC is an amazing city, but I can't believe we are actually arguing whether or not NYC produces more movies than LA. It is very obvious that LA does. It's simple to use a green screen or some type of backdrop or even part of Downtown LA in a scene that is supposed to be NYC.
That's how it used to be done.

Quote:
Also, if you consider porno movies in the movie industry, LA is the undisputed champ when you add both the main-stream films and pornos. The San Fernando Valley is the center of all the adult film industry.

From Wiki:
According to the HBO series Porn Valley, nearly 90% of all legally distributed pornographic films made in the United States are either filmed in or produced by studios based in the San Fernando Valley.

The production is concentrated in San Fernando Valley (mainly in Chatsworth, Reseda and Van Nuys) and Las Vegas, where more than 200 adult entertainment companies gather to network and show off their latest wares.

Vivid Entertainment Group is the world's largest adult video producer, (based in Los Angeles).
If you count porn than LA is CLEARLY in the lead although I'd be surprised if there still isn't some porn made in NYC, obviously a tiny amount compared to that which comes out of the Valley. Even in Europe most of the porn available is either made in the Valley or in Germany (I've heard many of the German porn producers are now shooting in Hungary due to lower labor costs, just like the legit international film industry has flocked to Central/Eastern Europe for the same reason - this makes me wonder if the Valley's porn industry will ever outsource production to Mexico or Asia for the same reasons...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM
 
3,973 posts, read 7,014,364 times
Reputation: 1576
Back to movies with actual plots...

Vancouver, Canada has been mentioned frequently in this thread, although the OP asked about the US.

Interesting thing, though, is 9 times out of 10, Vancouver BC "doubles" for Seattle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Earth
11,905 posts, read 12,907,581 times
Reputation: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Back to movies with actual plots...

Vancouver, Canada has been mentioned frequently in this thread, although the OP asked about the US.

Interesting thing, though, is 9 times out of 10, Vancouver BC "doubles" for Seattle!
Or L.A. Or S.F.

Why not just set more films in Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
 
3,973 posts, read 7,014,364 times
Reputation: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Or L.A. Or S.F.

Why not just set more films in Vancouver?
Probably because most of these movies are not made for Canadians. Their primary markets are US, and other populous countries. Canada is very secondary, population-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
182 posts, read 220,325 times
Reputation: 37
List of films shot in Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top