Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I'm sorry, I hate to be so stern but your comparing Columbia Heights which is very urban and has a density of 37 ppsm but it only 0.83 sm. While south Philly is 9.7 sm at 17 ppsm and has one Tracy t 47 ppsm. So you just can't say that D.C. is more urban. South Philly is 10x the land area, and stays urban topping the density parts of Columbia heights. D.C isn't more urban outside the core. It just isn't.

Apartments buildings > Rowhouses

This is pretty much given when it comes to urbanity and it's not close. Columbia Heights in 2013 is so different from 2009 Columbia Heights when the census was taken. When was the last time you were in D.C.? Columbia Heights is lined with 9 story apartment towers. The city gained 37,000 people mainly in the core neighborhoods like Columbia Heights in the last 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM

725 posts, read 1,203,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Just like Bajan said, D.C.'s downtown is not as urban as center city, but D.C.'s urban core is more urban than Philly's urban core. D.C.'s core is built up more than Philly's urban core. Philly is largely a row house city outside of center city. D.C. is the complete opposite outside of downtown D.C. The contrast is growing more and more everyday as the city continues to go vertical in all direction's far from downtown D.C. Philly much like Baltimore will remain a row house city. Row houses will be renovated and beautified, but the city will not go vertical like D.C. is doing. One of the biggest differences between the built form of D.C. and Philly is D.C. is more of an apartment city while Philly is more of a row house city. That contrast is growing even more steadily every day.
Please! Philadelphia is grown just as much as D.C. as a city, but not as a metro dc I booming. Baltimore is not like Philly. The difference is Phillys toeholds hold high density some hit 40 ppsm!

And Phillys core is the 3rd densest from city hall behind SF an NYC and there's a wide margin. Don't say DC's core is more urban, because its not.

Philladelphia is booming as a city, cranes everywhere, as well as DC, these two will be the beat cities in 5 years.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Apartments buildings > Rowhouses

When it comes to urbanity and it's not close. Columbia Heights in 2013 is so different from 2009 when the census was taken. When was the last time you were in D.C.? Columbia Heights is lines with 9 story apartment towers.
WHO CARES!!!!? That neighborhood is 0.87 sm! Not even ONE SQUARE MILE. I can't believe you DMV posters! Don't act as tho DC is an apartment city, it has many apartments, Philly does too. Ever been to city ave?! If DC's was such an apartment city, then by dint it play with the big digs Boaton, Philly, And SF.

Look. I understand dc is growing... I do. But your overrating it.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I hate to be so stern but your comparing Columbia Heights which is very urban and has a density of 37 ppsm but it only 0.83 sm. While south Philly is 9.7 sm at 17 ppsm and has one Tracy t 47 ppsm. So you just can't say that D.C. is more urban. South Philly is 10x the land area, and stays urban topping the density parts of Columbia heights. D.C isn't more urban outside the core. It just isn't.
I would also consider most of that walkable core to be more urban than what exists outside of Center City. That would include Adams-Morgan, U Street, Mount Pleasant, Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, Georgetown and Shaw (maybe). I think that core is more urban than South Philly, but overall, it doesn't have an incredibly large footprint.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Philly gained 30k in its core an 10k in northwest. But lost 20k from north and northeast. Sooo what's ya point! We're growing at the core too. As well the outside. Phillys not like other cities where the core is dense and it drops when you leave. No, it stays high even stretching to the Suburbs.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Please! Philadelphia is grown just as much as D.C. as a city, but not as a metro dc I booming. Baltimore is not like Philly. The difference is Phillys toeholds hold high density some hit 40 ppsm!

And Phillys core is the 3rd densest from city hall behind SF an NYC and there's a wide margin. Don't say DC's core is more urban, because its not.

Philladelphia is booming as a city, cranes everywhere, as well as DC, these two will be the beat cities in 5 years.

Population density like I mentioned before has nothing to do with the built environment.

I will give you an example:

Take a 10 block radius with 3,000 row homes and one elderly lady living in all of them. Now, take that same 10 block radius with 3,000 row homes and put 6 students in all of them. The density will increase dramatically but the urbanity of the neighborhood is exactly the same because the buildings did not change.

Now....

Take a 10 block radius with 3,000 row homes and raze them all. Now build 6-12 story apartment buildings everywhere in the 10 block radius with zero lot development. The urbanity increase by so much it's not even the same neighborhood.

You CAN NOT judge urbanity by population density. A village in india can have a ton of shacks with a population density over 100,000 people per square mile, but it's not urban at all. In fact, it's rural.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,372,545 times
Quote:
S and I there border were the same as Chi's they would all the same pop.
False.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Philly gained 30k in its core an 10k in northwest. But lost 20k from north and northeast. Sooo what's ya point! We're growing at the core too. As well the outside. Phillys not like other cities where the core is dense and it drops when you leave. No, it stays high even stretching to the Suburbs.

See my post above about population and how it has no effect on neighborhood built form and urbanity. You have to change the status quo meaning buildings to make any change in neighborhood urbanity from what it previously was.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM

I see what your saying but STOP speaking like D.C. has soooooo many apartments. Your acting like DC has an apartment for every 3000 rowhomes. I'm sure Philly has more apartment units then D.C. anyway. Oh an if D.C. Has apartments for every rowhome, the. Why is out population x2.5 yours?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
See my post above about population and how it has no effect on neighborhood built form and urbanity. You have to change the status quo meaning buildings to make any change in neighborhood urbanity from what it previously was.
It doesn't matter how you say anything. Philly is more urban/dense/built up then D.C. Your argument makes no sense. And I have no idea why your trying to say. For ever apartment D.C has anyway I'm sure Philly has another. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City