U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,361,429 times
Texas is up there, not 1st ,but up there when it comes to basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 03:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,272,762 times
High School Hockey in Michigan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr6Pl...eature=related

High School Hockey in Minnesota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUj3aHO2UE

Minnesota Wins.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,380,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
hmmmm tough call

Football: Texas
This was the easiest for me. Not only does Texas have one of the most storied NFL franchises but it has another one to boot. It also has several top level college programs and the high school teams are only matched by California. Texas dominates football on every level of the game.

Hockey: Michigan
This was a little tough. Minnesota, New York, and any New England state has a strong argument for it. I would rule out all states without a pro team so MA, NY, MN are left. Hockey is big in Mass and some of the best college teams are here (BU, BC, NU) but the Bruins don't have the following they deserve. NY has good high school teams too but despite 2 pro teams it just doesn't scream hockey. It came down to MN and MI for me since they both have intense high school programs and pond hockey scene for the kids. I gave the nudge to Michigan simply because of the Wings.

Basketball: California
Okay, California could win for any sport and it's a little unfair just because of the size of the state. I gave Bball to California because they have a bunch of pro teams, one of which is the 2nd best team in NBA history. The Lakers are the only pro team in SoCal that has a legitimate following. Also, basketball is big on a high school level in CA and the warm weather allows for year-round street ball. In some ways, you gotta give respect for the kids in the Northeast who play despite the weather but the game simply isn't happening as much. Besides, UCLA ain't too shabby either. I will state that Mass is definitely a runner-up here because the Celtics are the best team ever and the game was invented in Springfield. However, I couldn't genuinely tell myself that Massachusetts has the best basketball culture in the US.

Baseball: New York
Oooooo this was hard to say. I was reaaal close to putting down Mass but I gave it to NY because they have two pro teams with strong followings and they have Cooperstown. Baseball is a real hard one to do because the states with the best high school and college programs are also the ones with the least support for the MLB. The South, TX, and CA dominate the game for youngsters but the Northeast owns the big leauges. I gave it to a NE state because college baseball just isn't something I or the general public care about (no offense but compared to football or bball, baseball is truly a pro level game)
Good post.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 PM

13,383 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas is up there, not 1st ,but up there when it comes to basketball.
In the top 10 yeah. You can thank the population. But states like Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, California, and New York are higher. Not to mention Pennsylvania and New Jersey. These states take the sport more serious than Texas does.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 PM

13,383 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Forida's HS football games are televised. do they do that everywhere? i honestly dont know, so im jw.
Texas televises them as well. They have a night show every Friday night showing the highlights of various games throughout the state. I lived in Florida for one year (Miami) and I have to say that the atmosphere of a high school game is why I put Texas ahead of it. Florida is talented no doubt. But the experience is dull.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:21 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,742,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Florida is not even on the same board with Pennsylvania???? I think it's the other way around my friend.
I won't support his statement concerning Florida because honestly I don't know...however, I do know that many greats were born and raised in the Pittsburgh area including (but, certainly not limited to):

Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Joe Namath
Jim Kelly
Johnny Unitas
Tony Dorsett
Curtis Martin
Mike Ditka
Marty Schotenheimer
Bill Cower
etc.

6 super bowl wins; 7 appearances
Pitt football, 9 national championships

Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM

5,632 posts, read 9,998,051 times
Minnesota wallops Michigan in hockey. "Hockeytown" propaganda just won't die.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,439,593 times
Soccer would be biggest in California. Los Angeles has two teams, L.A. Galaxy and Chivas USA and San Jose has the Earthquakes.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:25 PM

976 posts, read 248,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In the top 10 yeah. You can thank the population. But states like Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, California, and New York are higher. Not to mention Pennsylvania and New Jersey. These states take the sport more serious than Texas does.
NC even more so than those states. Duke and UNC. So many championships.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:41 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,226,210 times
High School Hockey Online ranks the top 1500+ teams in the United States. The number one ranked team is from Edina, MN. Eight of the top ten are from Minnesota, one is from Michigan, and one is from New Jersey. Of the top 20 teams in the US, 16 are from Minnesota.
United States Boys High School Hockey Rankings

Where do most college hockey players come from? You guessed it, Minnesota. According to USA Hockey, Minnesota produces the most Division 1 hockey players; slightly more than 40% of Division 1 hockey players are Minnesotans.

Minnesota also has the highest number of players drafted by NHL teams every year.

BTW, Warroad, MN had been calling itself Hockeytown U.S.A. long before Detroit started using the title.

Last edited by BlackOut; 08-02-2009 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City