Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban? Boston or San Francisco
Boston 152 49.35%
San Francisco 156 50.65%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 55,723 times

Advertisements

San Francisco. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i don't know about that. it took us less than 30 mins to get to muir woods (mill valley?) and that looked pretty country to me. actually, would you consider sausalito urban? it looked rustic like cape cod.
Yeah that poster forgot to mention that directly north of SF...like directly across the Golden Gate Bridge, is Marin county, much of which is pretty rural. You can be in sparsely populated mountains 10 minutes after leaving SF if you go northwest. Everything else she said is true though, and there's plenty of development north of SF too...it's just in sort of a strip along the highway, surrounded on all sides by rural areas (and of course the bay/SF to the south).

As for the Bay Area's total urban expanse, you can go from Santa Rosa in the North Bay to San Jose in the South Bay, and experience nearly no breaks in the urban fabric for 90 miles (and all those breaks are in the North bay). The widest expanse east to west is around 40-50 miles, with a coupe small breaks here and there, such as the hills in the east bay.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,824,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Yeah that poster forgot to mention that directly north of SF...like directly across the Golden Gate Bridge, is Marin county, much of which is pretty rural. You can be in sparsely populated mountains 10 minutes after leaving SF if you go northwest. Everything else she said is true though, and there's plenty of development north of SF too...it's just in sort of a strip along the highway, surrounded on all sides by rural areas (and of course the bay/SF to the south).

As for the Bay Area's total urban expanse, you can go from Santa Rosa in the North Bay to San Jose in the South Bay, and experience nearly no breaks in the urban fabric for 90 miles (and all those breaks are in the North bay). The widest expanse east to west is around 40-50 miles, with a coupe small breaks here and there, such as the hills in the east bay.
San Jose is a major city in it's own right. In fact it has a larger population than SF and has it's own MSA as judged by the census bureau. So really, it should be inconsequential for the purposes of the thread

Intuitively I would assume that the intent of the post was to gauge which city feels and looks more urban and it is apparently a tie.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
San Jose is a major city in it's own right. In fact it has a larger population than SF and has it's own MSA as judged by the census bureau. So really, it should be inconsequential for the purposes of the thread

Intuitively I would assume that the intent of the post was to gauge which city feels and looks more urban and it is apparently a tie.
Do you really want to start down this road?

Yes San Jose is it's own city. And yes it is part of the same Metro area as SF. But where did I say it was the same as SF? And the poll being a tie makes sense. The Boston CSA has 8+ million people and the Bay Area CSA has 7+ million people. The Bay Area was actually bigger until providence was added to Boston. Look for Stockton and Salinas (and eventually Sacramento and Modesto) to be added to the SF CSA in the near future, putting it back above Boston.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,659,862 times
SF,and I hate to say it,but by far.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,816,905 times
Both are very urban, but my definition of urban is population, density, fabric, grit, diversity and scale. Based on that, it's SF, SF, Boston, Boston, SF and Boston. I think it's a good question, but when I think of urban based on how I perceive things to be urban they are both very close.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:10 PM

12 posts, read 41,104 times
SF. why? because, The Golden Gate Bridge was the longest suspension bridge span in the world.

Hands down ..

File:GoldenGateBridge BakerBeach MC.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
To me this is a toss up, and basically 50/50 on poll results, Honestly I do think either is any more or any less. Truth be told I love both cities

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 PM

221 posts, read 795,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Both are very urban, but my definition of urban is population, density, fabric, grit, diversity and scale. Based on that, it's SF, SF, Boston, Boston, SF and Boston. I think it's a good question, but when I think of urban based on how I perceive things to be urban they are both very close.
I dont agree with grit. I think, if anything, SF has more gritty sections than Boston.

Fabric, I can see, as Boston has arguably the second strongest urban fabric in the country.

What do you mean by scale?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 PM

117 posts, read 329,658 times
They both are look at the poll i never seen a poll this close!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City