U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM

72 posts, read 68,321 times

Advertisements

Early 90s: DC, Philly, Camden, Newark, Bronx, Dorchester. Late 90s: Baltimore, Hartford, Camdem, New Orleans, Memphis. I had a good friend from LA, living in Bmore who told me that he had never seen ANYTHING comparable to the East Coast ghettos in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 PM

12,474 posts, read 7,676,523 times
Murderapolis

Old 12-31-2011, 05:50 PM

96 posts, read 182,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
Early 90s: DC, Philly, Camden, Newark, Bronx, Dorchester. Late 90s: Baltimore, Hartford, Camdem, New Orleans, Memphis. I had a good friend from LA, living in Bmore who told me that he had never seen ANYTHING comparable to the East Coast ghettos in LA.
Comparing what? Housing, streets, crime rate? LA to this day has some areas that rival the worst areas in the U.S. in murder rate.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 PM

897 posts, read 354,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
Was you're friend from Huntington Beach?

Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,285,287 times
There will be a murder already in the morning here in Chicago.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 AM

899 posts, read 733,474 times
in this day and age - Podunk USA see's murder all to regularly - does murder equate to a bad area anymore?

In the 90's? What about Detroit ... friggin' cops used to carry long barrel hand guns and that scared me right out of there!

Someone said late 90's New Orleans? the cops were bad then ... there were federal investigations about cops killing a lady for reporting her eye witnessing a cop killing a drug dealer and cops caught guarding a warehouse full of cocaine (back when Marc Morial was mayor)

Old 01-01-2012, 02:14 AM

2,238 posts, read 2,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post

Someone said late 90's New Orleans? the cops were bad then ... there were federal investigations about cops killing a lady for reporting her eye witnessing a cop killing a drug dealer and cops caught guarding a warehouse full of cocaine (back when Marc Morial was mayor)
New Orleans was worse in the early 90s. We peaked in '94. Shorly thereafter (forgive me for forgetting the exact timeframe) we hired Richard Pennington from New York who promised that within a year he would cut the murder rate in half. That he did was a pretty amazing feat, even if you consider that this happened at the same time that crime nationwide had finally come off its peak and had started on the downward trend that most of the country enjoys today.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
New Orleans was worse in the early 90s. We peaked in '94. Shorly thereafter (forgive me for forgetting the exact timeframe) we hired Richard Pennington from New York who promised that within a year he would cut the murder rate in half. That he did was a pretty amazing feat, even if you consider that this happened at the same time that crime nationwide had finally come off its peak and had started on the downward trend that most of the country enjoys today.
I used to manage a restaurant on Canal during Marc Morial's era ....
Lived in Old Metairie ...

Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 2,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
I used to manage a restaurant on Canal during Marc Morial's era ....
Lived in Old Metairie ...
Ok. I think Antoinette Frank may have been early 90's too. Admittedly, I'm not sure.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 AM

wow - didn't remember her ... those were activity filled times for me ... lot of things going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City