U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 AM

573 posts, read 654,447 times

Advertisements

Miami, far and away, for the special kind of materialism that goes on here. A person comes here and the first thing they do seems to be to take out a $900/month lease on an outrageously priced Mercedes that they would never, ever in a million years have been able to get in their home country. It makes them think they are importante but really they're just another massively overextended consumer. Welcome to America.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,373,468 times
Southern California is very materialistic. The amount of fancy import cars is very noticeable coming from another part of the country. I agree that Phoenix seems pretty materialistic also, seeing how it has become like SoCal west.

From what I have seen Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo are about the least materialistic. Even in very upscale areas around Cleveland you often see modest cars parked in the driveways of ornate mansions.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,020,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Seattle is in a way the most materialistic and least.

One one hand they are content with smaller homes (at least in the city) and denser living, etc. But they also drive BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes and when you go out into the suburbs where people have very little concept of actual luxury driving, Lexus, aka overpriced Toyota Avalons. They also love REI and go to buy $800 backpacks or snow gear they will use maybe twice.

And then they go around and not really care about fashionable clothing or bling, in general.
when i was there it seemed like a lot of people drove older cars from the 90s and 80s, compared to what I see in other cities.. Seattle seems very un materialistic, even though a lot of people have good money over there.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
I dont know in any particular order, but Dallas and Miami have to rank extremely high on that list.

LA is only materialistic in certain places. Most of LA is actually not materialistic at all. I find Dallas to be much more materialistic on the whole than LA.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,892,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
LA suburbs
NY suburbs
Miami suburbs
I like this list, I'd say most materealism happens in the suburbs. It is actually surprising though that even in low income areas people can still tend to be materealistic. Thats where the whole term "hood rich" came from lol.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 AM

594 posts, read 1,492,555 times
1) Southern Florida

2a) SoCal
2b) Phoenix

3) NYC and suburbs

Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,898 times
Uh, Atlanta!!!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM

766 posts, read 1,795,963 times
Most
Chicago - Ads are everywhere, things are overpriced, lots of people in expensive clothes.
Minneapolis - Mall of America, lots of suburban sprawl and McMansions.

Least
Cleveland - things are inexpensive, even fancy restaurants have mostly casual attire, people don't put a lot of emphasis on clothes, cars, houses, etc. (except in a few outer ring suburbs)
Pittsburgh - same as Cleveland
All of West Virginia - Least materialistic state in the US

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,294,896 times
I like how people feel free to geernalize about millions of other people as morally compromised.

Is it ok to claim people in the South are fat and lazy (even by American standards)? Because the logic inherent in this thread justifies that.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Most
Chicago - Ads are everywhere, things are overpriced, lots of people in expensive clothes.
Minneapolis - Mall of America, lots of suburban sprawl and McMansions.

Least
Cleveland - things are inexpensive, even fancy restaurants have mostly casual attire, people don't put a lot of emphasis on clothes, cars, houses, etc. (except in a few outer ring suburbs)
Pittsburgh - same as Cleveland
All of West Virginia - Least materialistic state in the US
In what way? I think things are actually pretty damn cheap in Chicago compared to many places I've been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or