Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better: Toronto VS Philadelphia
Toronto 56 66.67%
Philadelphia 28 33.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Great list - I wasn't aware of some of these so thanks! Aura is turning out quite nicely and is very imposing in the skyline now. The two Ice's, two Harbour's and Ten York are 5 +200 m towers U/C in practically a city block.. Insane!
I actually really like alot of these projects architecturally as well. The list you posted and Atticman's really puts into perspective how phenomenal the growth in Toronto is at this time.

What people don't realize is that despite all this growth, there is actually a pretty strong NIMBY sentiment scattered throughout TO. So you can't exactly propose and build a masterpiece on every parcel. Developers have to pick and choose their battles and at times propose boxy, uninspired towers because they know they can get it through approval.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post

Philadelphia only has 43 million square feet of office space IN TOTAL. In all likelihood, Philly has never had 5.7 million plus square feet of office space under construction at one time. Toronto has more than 5.7 million square feet of downtown office space u/c, more than even downtown Manhattan.

I'm thinking that you are incapable of telling the truth. I haven't seen you tell the truth once yet in any of your posts in any thread.
Philadelphia does not only have 43 million square feet of office space in total. That is just Center City and it it's not including University City right across the river or the Navy Yard or other city business districts.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I actually really like alot of these projects architecturally as well. The list you posted and Atticman's really puts into perspective how phenomenal the growth in Toronto is at this time.

What people don't realize is that despite all this growth, there is actually a pretty strong NIMBY sentiment scattered throughout TO. So you can't exactly propose and build a masterpiece on every parcel. Developers have to pick and choose their battles and at times propose boxy, uninspired towers because they know they can get it through approval.
One thing that I've noticed is that the general condo is getting better architecturally (One Bloor East, Massey Tower and 88 Scott really stick out for me) in the city and this is definitely a good thing. With the growth a city like T.O has had, not every piece is going to be a work of art but we did have a lot of uninspired cookie cutter green glass boxes. I'd prefer less development but more signature buildings that skew taller to balance things out.

Further to what you said a perfect example is Gehry's Theatre tower project which through compromise had to be scaled back from 3 towers to 2 and not quite a show stopper design like the original.. Having said that, Two Gehry designed buildings - one being a Supertall we really can't complain about that but you are right, for all the growth and development in the city, there has been a lot of Nimbyism (is that a word) actually stunting projects in terms of architectural merit and height. Slowly but surely and kicking and screaming the city is making progress in spite of this conservatism!

New Mirvish-Gehry plan for Toronto’s King St. W unveiled - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

I think you'll find that as time goes by we've gone past the point of no return when it comes to vertical development. The city can't expand outwards anymore due to the places that grow act and Toronto has had a dense and vibrant core for decades now - I don't think this is going to change. The city is still going to be the benefactor of federal policy of huge immigration growth so a Toronto with plenty of density and vertical endowment is pretty much here to stay imho I don't thing the city is a one hit wonder or a one decade boom wonder if you will. It is the new reality - Toronto sailing past Chicago last year in city proper population wasn't just a result of a decade - the writing has been on the wall since the 70's.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-01-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
One thing that I've noticed is that the general condo is getting better architecturally (One Bloor East, Massey Tower and 88 Scott really stick out for me) in the city and this is definitely a good thing. With the growth a city like T.O has had, not every piece is going to be a work of art but we did have a lot of uninspired cookie cutter green glass boxes. I'd prefer less development but more signature buildings that skew taller to balance things out.

Further to what you said a perfect example is Gehry's Theatre tower project which through compromise had to be scaled back from 3 towers to 2 and not quite a show stopper design like the original.. Having said that, Two Gehry designed buildings - one being a Supertall we really can't complain about that but you are right, for all the growth and development in the city, there has been a lot of Nimbyism (is that a word) actually stunting projects in terms of architectural merit and height. Slowly but surely and kicking and screaming the city is making progress in spite of this conservatism!

New Mirvish-Gehry plan for Toronto’s King St. W unveiled - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

I think you'll find that as time goes by we've gone past the point of no return when it comes to vertical development. The city can't expand outwards anymore due to the places that grow act and Toronto has had a dense and vibrant core for decades now - I don't think this is going to change. The city is still going to be the benefactor of federal policy of huge immigration growth so a Toronto with plenty of density and vertical endowment is pretty much here to stay imho I don't thing the city is a one hit wonder or a one decade boom wonder if you will. It is the new reality - Toronto sailing past Chicago last year in city proper population wasn't just a result of a decade - the writing has been on the wall since the 70's.
Speaking of the Gehry-Mirvish project, which camp were you in? The first proposal was incredible when it comes to the towers being built, both height wise plus design, but it demolished the Princess of Wales Theatre. The revised version saves the Theatre, but is obviously scaled back. Thoughts?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Speaking of the Gehry-Mirvish project, which camp were you in? The first proposal was incredible when it comes to the towers being built, both height wise plus design, but it demolished the Princess of Wales Theatre. The revised version saves the Theatre, but is obviously scaled back. Thoughts?
Saving the Princess of Wales Theatre big plus and a good thing.. We have to preserve our cultural heritage and growth for the sake of it whilst sacrificing character is NEVER a good thing. I like Scrapers going up over what was a parking lot or replacing a ghastly commie block or uninspired building that nobody will miss. Tearing down what makes us interesting not so much!

I am a bit disappointed however in the new rendering vs the old architecturally. The new one just seems more mundane in comparison but overall I think the project is better now in terms of preservation than the original. I never really wrapped my head around how they would actually build the original anyway... It was maybe a bit too flamboyant for T.O so the new one is as Gehry said - Dignified for Toronto and I do like that they are incorporating an art gallery into the project. Certainly they are a step up from these lol

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pinna...bm=isch&imgdii=_

Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Saving the Princess of Wales Theatre big plus and a good thing.. We have to preserve our cultural heritage and growth for the sake of it whilst sacrificing character is NEVER a good thing. I like Scrapers going up over what was a parking lot or replacing a ghastly commie block or uninspired building that nobody will miss. Tearing down what makes us interesting not so much!

I am a bit disappointed however in the new rendering vs the old architecturally. The new one just seems more mundane in comparison but overall I think the project is better now in terms of preservation than the original. I never really wrapped my head around how they would actually build the original anyway... It was maybe a bit too flamboyant for T.O so the new one is as Gehry said - Dignified for Toronto and I do like that they are incorporating an art gallery into the project. Certainly they are a step up from these lol

Agreed on all points. Its not that the exterior of the Princess of Wales is that incredible, but what it stands for in terms of the city's cultural heritage, means alot more than some tower, no matter how spectacular it is. Add to that the interior of the Theatre is grand as well.

With that said, whenever preserving a heritage structure and incorporating it into a new project, you will run up against rising costs. Preservation costs money, high quality materials cost money and time costs money. So rather than go back and re-write the construction loan, you have to work within the funding parameters in place. Ambitious projects are expensive, bottom line.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:

Good post. I like the 'waterfall' effect on the new Gehry renderings and that half glass design. And of course, the height of the taller one.

I'm more excited about the Yonge and Bloor/YorkVille area that has many tall proposals up there that will help balance the skyline from a North-South point of view even more.

Proposals like:
2 Bloor St W (85 + 70 stories)
27 Yorkville Ave (65 + 55 stories)
50 Bloor St W (83 stories)
80 Bloor St W (66 stories)
One Yorkville (58 Stories)
...there's more, but that's just off the top of my head.

You'd have 1 Bloor (U/C), The Four Seasons (built) and the new buildings up there, and the financial core (to the south), South Core (further south by the lake) Entertainment District which is on fire right now (south west) .... with various other towers in between (Massey, Aura ,U Condos, Five, Karma etc)

Exciting to see all of this happen before our eyes.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:29 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
You are without a doubt, the world's biggest idiot. As of Q3 2013, downtown Philly had no office space under construction. Downtown Toronto had 5.7 million square feet. More than any American CBD, including downtown and midtown Manhattan. These screencaps are from the Q3 2013 Colliers North American Office Outlook:

Philadelphia only has 43 million square feet of office space IN TOTAL. In all likelihood, Philly has never had 5.7 million plus square feet of office space under construction at one time. Toronto has more than 5.7 million square feet of downtown office space u/c, more than even downtown Manhattan.

I'm thinking that you are incapable of telling the truth. I haven't seen you tell the truth once yet in any of your posts in any thread.
I really just think Colliers just didn't do Philly. There is always office buildings under construction in the suburbs and there were office buildings under construction in the Navy Yard in South Philadelphia as well. These aren't highrises though, so I would assume maybe 2 million sq ft under construction max. The only office highrises under construction in Q4 2013 was:

Penn Medicine at Washington Square
18 floors
260 feet
153,000 sq ft of office space
Grand Opening of New Philadelphia Outpatient Medical Facility: Penn Medicine Washington Square

3737 Market
13 floors
221 feet
272,700 sq feet of office space
3737 Market Street rising from ground in University City - Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

^^Since then, Penn Medicine tower has been completed. 3737 Market is finishing up now. Other towers that are just beginning construction however will add a lot more office space:

Comcast Innovation and Technology Center:
59 floors
1,121 feet
1,285,000 sq ft of office space
New Comcast Facility Will Impact City in Many Ways | Jewish Exponent

FMC Tower @ Cira Centre South
49 floors
730 feet
622,000 sq ft of office space
Penn News | Penn Partners Break Ground on FMC Tower at Cira Centre South

700 Schuylkill Avenue
22 floors
375 feet
488,671 sq ft of office space
CHOP to go before planning committee on new tower project - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 06-01-2014, 12:35 PM

273 posts, read 323,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I really just think Colliers just didn't do Philly.

I said downtown Philly had no office space under construction.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 PM

273 posts, read 323,094 times
I don't like the new Mirvish/Gehry proposal. I much preferred the original. And to me it's kind of silly to call a 20 year old building "heritage".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City