Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better: Toronto VS Philadelphia
Toronto 56 66.67%
Philadelphia 28 33.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Just coincidence that the same ppl defending the A in the atlanta/philly boards, rush over here to defend toronto. It comes off as being incredibly bitter. Ya not gone sit here and tell the boards that ya dont have it out for philly at this point
Has nothing to do with Philly at all; if people were saying that Boston's or Seattle's skyline were comparable to Toronto's, I'd say the exact same thing--just like I said in the "Atlanta vs. Chicago" thread that it's not even a contest. People don't seem to understand that just because you're defending one city, that doesn't mean you're beating up on the other. It's really not that hard to understand. I've said that Philly's skyline is great and the city in particular is very underrated. It's skyline goes up great with others in its league. But in this case? I'm sorry, it's just not a contest.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
This thread started out with the question "which skyline do you like better," not "which city is better because it has more phallis."

I live outside Philadelphia, so I am biased, but yes, Toronto's skyline is cleary bigger. It's very impressive. However, I see no need to demean Philadelphia just because you are from a sunbelt city with a Napoleon complex. No one needs to trash Philadelphia or other "established" cities to prove that Atlanta or Charlotte has more job growth.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Are you including New York City in this aswell? You think Toronto can go up against her too?

Just coincidence that the same ppl defending the A in the atlanta/philly boards, rush over here to defend toronto. It comes off as being incredibly bitter. Ya not gone sit here and tell the boards that ya dont have it out for philly at this point

I happen to LOVE Toronto. I lived there for about 7 months, and have watched it explode into a true global city in my lifetime. I am defending it against Philiadelphia because frankly, there is absolutely NO comparison between the two in any way with the exception that they are both large.

The comparisons end there. There is simply no contest.

As far as Philadelphia goes, I admit that I have never been a fan. In my opinion, Philly epitomizes the entire, nasty Northeastern package wrapped up in one filthy, trash strewn place. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-03-2009 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I live outside Philadelphia, so I am biased, but yes, Toronto's skyline is cleary bigger. It's very impressive. However, I see no need to demean Philadelphia just because you are from a sunbelt city with a Napoleon complex. No one needs to trash Philadelphia or other "established" cities to prove that Atlanta or Charlotte has more job growth.
I can only speak for myself, but nowhere have I trashed or spoken ill of Philly or its skyline. People don't seem to understand that defending one city doesn't automatically mean you speak ill of the other. But we're supposed to be the "dumb Southerners" down here, so go figure.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but nowhere have I trashed or spoken ill of Philly or its skyline. People don't seem to understand that defending one city doesn't automatically mean you speak ill of the other. But we're supposed to be the "dumb Southerners" down here, so go figure.
Agree, you were not the one speaking ill.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Amazing how Manhattan, Toronto, and Downtown Chicago all have exactly 400 buildings according to emporis! What a coincidence. It couldn't be that they won't list more than 400 could it? What an accurate source for determining how many buildings a city has...right. BTW, what is a "tall building" anyway? Why is it that measuring these "tall buildings" in the entire city tells us what that city's skyline looks like?

Neighborhoods of Manhattan, New York City | Emporis.com

Neighborhoods of Toronto, Toronto | Emporis.com

Neighborhoods of Downtown, Chicago | Emporis.com

Last edited by ainulinale; 08-03-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Ahh, this proves my previous post.

Thanks for at least admitting your bias.
I have no problem admitting I don't care for Philadelphia.

However, at least I don't have blind hatred for it like so many of your neighbors do for the ENTIRE South. Huge difference.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Is there some sort of superlative quota rule here that we have to adhere to? Didn't know that; thanks for the heads up.

The skylines of both cities are in the same league? Let me repost these numbers for you since you must have missed them the last time:

Tall Building Statistics for Toronto
1,766 existing
254 planned
212 unbuilt
115 under construction
9 demolished

Tall Building Statistics for Philadelphia
325 existing
51 planned
49 demolished
8 unbuilt
5 under construction

(Source: Emporis.com)

So 325 tall buildings to 1,766 tall buildings is "in the same league." Right. Granted, all of these tall buildings aren't necessarily located in the CBD or main skyline cluster for both cities, but this is about the best I can do datawise.

Ummm, no. Chicago has 1,098 tall buildings--much, much, much more comparable to Toronto's. And the ratio is about the same. Toronto has 5.4 times more tall buildings than Philly, and Chicago has 5.7 times more tall buildings than Minneapolis. Unless you have stats to prove otherwise, especially those that count the number of skyscrapers in the CBDs of each city, I'll stick with that correlation.
Perhaps it's all the 12-15 story buildings that are padding Toronto's numbers? They're both impressive and comparable skylines, and while granted-- Toronto is larger-- it's not that much larger-- regardless of a few hundred 12 story buildings.

BTW-- You seem pretty intent in this thread and it's apparently very important to you. Perhaps you have a PhD in superlative skyline identification, but your condescending tone doesn't help your story. It's a message board skyline thread -- not a thesis. Easy on the attacks.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Uh, WHAT? New York is not a part of this thread, but I'm not surprised that it has - again - been introduced where it doesn't belong.

I happen to LOVE Toronto. I lived there for about 7 months, and have watched it explode into a true global city in my lifetime. I am defending it against Philiadelphia because frankly, there is absolutely NO comparison between the two in any way with the exception that they are both large.

The comparisons end there. There is simply no contest.

As far as Philadelphia goes, I admit that I have never been a fan. In my opinion, Philly epitomizes the entire, nasty Northeastern package wrapped up in one filthy, trash strewn place. Not my cup of tea.
New york was mentioned because u said ANY NORTHERN CITY

How is there no contest. U act like we're talking about some city in north dakota or something. Philly is a major american city. Toronto is great but if your name is not los angeles,chicago or new york; how does any other city outside of these three make a case for no contest

Ya last paragraph says it all and shows your bias. But im curious what comes in the NASTYNORTHEASTERN Package ?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
New york was mentioned because u said ANY NORTHERN CITY

How is there no contest. U act like we're talking about some city in north dakota or something. Philly is a major american city. Toronto is great but if your name is not los angeles,chicago or new york; how does any other city outside of these three make a case for no contest

Ya last paragraph says it all and shows your bias. But im curious what comes in the NASTYNORTHEASTERN Package ?

And you are correct, Philly IS a major American city. However, the ONLY American cities that can go head to head with Toronto are New York and Chicago. Period. And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves L.A.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-03-2009 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: commenting on other posters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City