U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Better skyline?
Montreal 240 53.57%
Houston 208 46.43%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:09 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,007,418 times
I would agree to say Montreal's skyline is definitely better than Miamis and about a tie with Seattle. It does look a bit bigger than Houstons but also looks shorter. Whats the tallest building in Montreal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 37,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I would agree to say Montreal's skyline is definitely better than Miamis and about a tie with Seattle. It does look a bit bigger than Houstons but also looks shorter. Whats the tallest building in Montreal?
The tallest building in Montreal is "1000 de la Gauchetière".
It is 205 meters in height. Due to strict laws, buildings in Montreal are not allowed to be over 205 meters in height.
So 1000 de la Gauchetière is as high as this city will go.

Here is the 1000 de la Gauchetière building.

Attached Thumbnails
Montreal vs Houston - Skyline Battle-gauchetiere.jpg  

Old 05-23-2011, 07:44 PM

7 posts, read 37,584 times
A few more of Montreal

Attached Thumbnails
Montreal vs Houston - Skyline Battle-800px-montreal_twilight_panorama_2006.jpg   Montreal vs Houston - Skyline Battle-5310937000_b6ae03f86f_b.jpg   Montreal vs Houston - Skyline Battle-hdr-20mtl.jpg   Montreal vs Houston - Skyline Battle-800px-vuedemontreal.jpg  

Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,917,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I think it beats Miami's and Seattle's personally. Philly might have a better skyline though in terms of mid tier cities.
well, i'd like to respectfully and immensely disagree. i think its been said plenty of times here... montreal has the architecture and the density but quite frankly the skyline is a little unassuming. It's a nice skyline, but I do not consider it a top ten skyline in all of north america. I'd say Vancouver's even has it beat by a lot.

That being said, I can see how people would prefer Montreal's, but come on, let's be honest. When we are talking about SKYLINES in particular, not the "character", or the "soul" or yadda yadda, or any intangible and nebulous definition you can think of, Houston outright wins this one.

According to Wikipedia... Montreal only has get this, 19 buildings standing at 400' and taller. that's NINETEEN. Houston has FOURTY-FIVE! Montreal's tallest buildings are just five that stand at 600' to 673'. Houston has 8 of them at 600' PLUS ten that stand from 700' to over a thousand. Why was this thread even created?

Yes, aesthetically, Montreal wins. But if we were comparing skylines to movie stars, Houston would be Arnold Schwarzenneger, while Montreal would be Brad Pitt. Sorry, Houston wins.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 AM

484 posts, read 346,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Sorry, Houston wins.
take a peek at the results

apparently mathematics is not the end all , theres some intangible in play here

Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,329,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post

You put Houston up against Mayberry and Mayberry will win.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 AM

1,222 posts, read 974,711 times
H-Town destroys Montreal in a skyline battle in my opinion, but Montreal has the edge when it comes down to density.

Last edited by JoninATX; 05-24-2011 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post

what a cliche response!

look, i realize why people prefer montreal's skyline over houston. and yeah you're using all these intangibles, like architecture and density. these are all things that i prefer and if you were to ask me i'd say montreal's skyline is nicer.

there's a thin line between what you prefer, or what you feel is more aesthetic and what is more impressive in sheer volume and size. montreal and houston are a great example of the two sides.

people have voted montreal because of the aesthetics.... but regardless, houston has a real skyline, which means it has dozens of towers LITERALLY rising to the sky. In the sincerest most simplest and impeccable definition of a skyline HOUSTON WINS.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
H-Town destroys Montreal in a skyline battle in my opinion, but Montreal has the edge when it comes down to density.
that's pretty much what i'm trying to tell these canadians. haha

Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM

10,862 posts, read 8,498,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
what a cliche response!

look, i realize why people prefer montreal's skyline over houston. and yeah you're using all these intangibles, like architecture and density. these are all things that i prefer and if you were to ask me i'd say montreal's skyline is nicer.

there's a thin line between what you prefer, or what you feel is more aesthetic and what is more impressive in sheer volume and size. montreal and houston are a great example of the two sides.

people have voted montreal because of the aesthetics.... but regardless, houston has a real skyline, which means it has dozens of towers LITERALLY rising to the sky. In the sincerest most simplest and impeccable definition of a skyline HOUSTON WINS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City