Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM

87 posts, read 186,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Add on Phoenix and Las Vegas - the Sunbelt is the new Rust Belt

Houston's always had a high crime rate, and rapid population growth within a short period always brings more crime

I think some of the rust belt cities might improve (not all). Milwaukee and Pittsburgh look to be getting better.
Yes, but the economy is very stable considering the the national situation. People won't be as tempted in that regard because there are plenty of job opportunities. Houston, is growing rapidly, no doubt, which will bring more crime, but that is inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
My list would be Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Detroit, Phoenix, Gary, Atlanta, Camden, Orlando, Flint, Houston, and Memphis. Still think that Detroit's will DROP as gov't pumps money into city, along with New Orleans. Sunbelt would be where to watch for crime as foreclosures blight newly built neighborhoods and crime follows an irregular pattern as a result.
Please.

None of you can predict what will happen. Many of you are also neglecting the fact that when the values of homes drop or there are home foreclosures, it is a great opportunity to buy, especially in areas that have experienced (or do experience) tremendous growth anyways. The Sunbelt is not going to die and become crime-ridden "all of a sudden" just because quite a few people couldn't make their mortgage payments.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Please.

None of you can predict what will happen. Many of you are also neglecting the fact that when the values of homes drop or there are home foreclosures, it is a great opportunity to buy, especially in areas that have experienced (or do experience) tremendous growth anyways. The Sunbelt is not going to die and become crime-ridden "all of a sudden" just because quite a few people couldn't make their mortgage payments.
This is an interesting response with points worth considering.

Although I think I was also thinking of the drug-trade, which I believe is significant or rising in the Southwest. Although my information might be dated on that. I'd considered naming a town in Michigan or Rhode Island as well.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:59 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Please.

A great opportunity to buy what? A cheap home in a bad 'hood? If you haven't realized it, the same thing has already happened in many cities. Look at the irregular growth patterns on the west side of Dayton, Ohio. They can be attributed to this phenomenon.

Lack of devlopment and interest in a "new" area + rock-bottom housing prices = blight and no reason for recovery. Goole Trotwood, Ohio for an idea of what these communities will be like in 10 years.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
A great opportunity to buy what? A cheap home in a bad 'hood? If you haven't realized it, the same thing has already happened in many cities. Look at the irregular growth patterns on the west side of Dayton, Ohio. They can be attributed to this phenomenon.

Lack of devlopment and interest in a "new" area + rock-bottom housing prices = blight and no reason for recovery. Goole Trotwood, Ohio for an idea of what these communities will be like in 10 years.
OK, now you're just trolling. It seems apparent that you have never been everywhere. The difference is people are not moving to Dayton.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM

28 posts, read 72,486 times
Add DC, Philly, Bmore, Chicago, LA....very dangerous cities

Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejake21 View Post
Well seeing as tons of people are leaving Detroit I think the crime will slowly decline.
Tons of people already HAVE left Detroit--it's half the populatioin it was in 1970--and crime has gotten worse.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oakland's high crime areas will remain that way. I see no indication that its suddenly going to become crime free until all the criminals have killed each other.

And I wouldnt mind buying some bullets to help them in their cause.
A better investment would be birth control and investments in primary and secondary education.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:29 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,577 times
Richmond, CA 4 sure.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,304 times
This would be my list (in no order):
Philly
Detroit
St. Louis
DC
Baltimore
LA
Dallas
Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City