Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, govt stands in the way more than it is a driver.

The Federal Govt spends a lot of money-that much we know. As far as doing a lot of work, that's debatable.

Except usually corporations arent idling on public finances.

And its production done with our money. Speaking of which, The Bay Area shoulders the highest per capita and per household federal tax burden of any major metropolitan area in the nation.
The Tax Foundation - Federal Tax Burden by Major City Area (MSA), 2004
It's not debatable that the federal government does a lot of work. It may not be the most efficient (though that changes from administration to administration), the government provides for much that we take for granted. All the innovations you speak of don't arise from a vacuum or an environment that is everpresent in any time or place save for those destroyed by the big, bad government. All that you have before you is partially due to the huge organizational effort that has lead to and is perpetuated by the government. And yes, it is production done with your money, and with your say (if you choose to make the effort to use your voice and your votes).

Quote:
And Bay Area Fortune 500s had a revenue of $878 Billion last year. 2nd to New York.
*yawns*
Good that you bring it up. The thing you're quoting is about social issues, and that doesn't necessarily have a price tag or a place on the Fortune 500s (oh goodness, NGOs not making it to Fortune's list, how surprising). It's good to know you aren't actually reading so much as on automatic dismissal mode.

Quote:
And California is its biggest shareholder.
That's true to some extent, albeit with an incredibly small plurality. However, I don't see where that places SF in this argument. The "headquarters" is still in DC even if the biggest shareholder is in California and SF is a city in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's not debatable that the federal government does a lot of work. It may not be the most efficient (though that changes from administration to administration), the government provides for much that we take for granted. All the innovations you speak of don't arise from a vacuum or an environment that is everpresent in any time or place save for those destroyed by the big, bad government. All that you have before you is partially due to the huge organizational effort that has lead to and is perpetuated by the government. And yes, it is production done with your money, and with your say (if you choose to make the effort to use your voice and your votes).

Good that you bring it up. The thing you're quoting is about social issues, and that doesn't necessarily have a price tag or a place on the Fortune 500s (oh goodness, NGOs not making it to Fortune's list, how surprising). It's good to know you aren't actually reading so much as on automatic dismissal mode.

That's true to some extent, albeit with an incredibly small plurality. However, I don't see where that places SF in this argument. The "headquarters" is still in DC even if the biggest shareholder is in California and SF is a city in California.
You think DC is incredibly important because of all the government spending and policymaking that goes on there.

We get it.

I happen to think its important, but not that much.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Yes, and I think you've taken government and all its auxillary industries as something far less important than they actually are. Your idea of "actual work" and government is essentially flawed, and your arguments seem to pick on random little points that don't actually serve your agenda but have a nice panache. I said it before--I think SF and the Bay Area has a lot going for it, and you can certainly argue it's more important than DC. It's just that some of your arguments against DC seem pretty flawed.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
San Francisco =/= Bay Area

Don't drag us along when it's convenient.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

In that case, DC definitely "wins" against SF.

And if we're talking only about city limits, then I guess Boston can't have Cambridge count, and Houston comes out a fairly clear winner.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Your idea of "actual work" and government is essentially flawed, and your arguments seem to pick on random little points that don't actually serve your agenda but have a nice panache.
hahaha

random little points? random enough to stop DCs coronation dead in its tracks.

Quote:
I think SF and the Bay Area has a lot going for it, and you can certainly argue it's more important than DC. It's just that some of your arguments against DC seem pretty flawed.
Flawed to you, Flawless to me.

I don't put the government on a pedestal. They are the help. Incredibly overpaid, bureaucratized and grossly incompetent help at that.

Shame on us really-for letting it get DC get so far out of hand.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

I drag your @sses along 24/7.

Dont you read my posts?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Where exactly does Chicago fit into your flawed equation? Miami is way, way down the list between Detroit and Seattle.

Top 10 US Cities
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. Philadelphia
6. SF
7. Boston
8. Dallas
9. Houston
10. Atlanta
Really, Philly above SF? I would have thought Boston would have ranked above Philly in most peoples' opinions. Why do you like Philly for number 5?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
hahaha

random little points? random enough to stop DCs coronation dead in its tracks.

Flawed to you, Flawless to me.

I don't put the government on a pedestal. They are the help. Incredibly overpaid, bureaucratized and grossly incompetent help at that.

Shame on us really-for letting it get DC get so far out of hand.
A misinformed assumption that DC's performing arts is in the shadow of SF's, an oddly directed rebuttal dealing with NGOs and Federal Agencies not being on Fortune's list (completely besides the point as I was giving you institutions that directly play a role in the social sphere), a misguided take on the corporation analogy for the federal government where you talk about California as the largest shareholder (SF is not California and has little in special voting rights), and a continued dismissal of how pervasive the federal government is. These are odd random little points you've put up in a very short argument.

You're not stopping dead any coronation--you're just sticking to your guns without addressing much of anything. The government is seldom placed on a pedestal. The government's work is for the most part, terribly mundane, and constantly subject to criticism (as well it should be). It is weaved into the fabric of your life in ways that are invisible because we seldom give any of it a second thought. Instead, all we see are some of the hot-button issues from time to time (which are also important, of course, and often settled and discussed in DC). How can any arguments that involve dismissing such be seen as anything but terribly flawed?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
If we are simply talking about cities then it's between Houston and Boston. However, if you throw in San Jose and surrounding areas then SF becomes a juggernaut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City