Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,772,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
So retirees are the reason, the Houston metro area grew by a million last decade? ) LOL! Than Houston, Atlanta, DFW and Phoenix are the only sunbelt metros that grew by actual numbers that much, not the whole Sunbelt.

No energy... a vague word for energy )

Texas Medical Center health, care medical?

"it's world class museums and galleries" so is Houston

Houston Theater District - World-class performing arts in the

Houston Museum District

If you think those three things are even remotely in the same category as Boston's institutions, you are quite misinformed. And should go back and read the last three pages of posts. Boston's Theatre District is on par with Chicago and San Francisco. Boston's has the third most collections after NYC and Washington DC. And Boston is the world's leader in scientfic/medical/biotech research.
But go back and read the previous pages of posts before you bring cultural things up, you're fellow Houstonians don't like it. Even they conceded Boston's medical supremacy. All of Boston's major hospitals rank well above Houston's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 PM

902 posts, read 2,776,148 times
I have to agree with lmkcin and a lot of others for the most part. San Francisco and Boston both have a larger influence than Houston and it really isn't very close, not that it is a by a landslide either. Nobody is claiming that Houston doesn't have a lot to offer nor is it downplaying its singnificance in influence, but it is not on the same level as San Francisco or Boston--PERIOD.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,047,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
If you think those three things are even remotely in the same category as Boston's institutions, you are quite misinformed. And should go back and read the last three pages of posts. Boston's Theatre District is on par with Chicago and San Francisco. Boston's has the third most collections after NYC and Washington DC. And Boston is the world's leader in scientfic/medical/biotech research.
But go back and read the previous pages of posts before you bring cultural things up, you're fellow Houstonians don't like it. Even they conceded Boston's medical supremacy. All of Boston's major hospitals rank well above Houston's.
Do you realize Texas Medical center is largest medical center in the world? it receives over five million annual patients? and more heart surgeries are performed there than anywhere else in the world? What yall do in Boston is educated some of the doctors, and research some of the treatments that actually will be perform in Houston, Boston = Academia vs. Houston = real life

And buddy I'm not a Houstonians.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM

902 posts, read 2,776,148 times
Quote:
Do you realize Texas Medical center is largest medical center in the world? it receives over five million annual patients? and more heart surgeries are performed there than anywhere else in the world? What yall do in Boston is educated some of the doctors, and research some of the treatments that actually will be perform in Houston, Boston = Academia vs. Houston = real life

That doesn't it make it the best. Last time I checked Boston had 2 or 3 hospitals ranked a bit better than Houston's top hospital. U of San Francisco also ranks higher than Houston's and Stanford Medical Center is right there as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,394,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Houston is arguably THE top city in the world for energy.
*cough*Riyadh*cough*Abu Dhabi*cough*Moscow*cough*

wow, I must be coming down with something!

Quote:
GDP measures economic output. It seems like those CEOs graduating from Boston become CEOs of the energy companies here in Houston.
It's possible I'm sure. But many of them stick around here or go to New York City or Washington DC. I would think those are the three main cities where the grads end up after graduation. If it's not CEOs of companies, I'm sure some of your companies have used our management consultants at one point or another. We are the world leader for that.

You weren't trying to make it sound like Houston is some superior economic juggernaut compared to Boston, were you?

You're also ignoring the fact that assets under management for financial services companies are not included in GDP figures. Wouldn't you consider that sort of stuff important? I think most people would consider retirement funds/pensions important.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,394,298 times
Quote:

As gogetta said, biggest doesn't necessarily mean best. I'm not sure what the size is, but Longwood Medical Area is probably of a comparable size. It's hard to quantify the space though b/c unlike TMC, it's composed of several different hospitals and schools. But again, bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

Let's take a look at the NIH Funding for the cities (as of 2004).

Houston: $517,782,590

Boston/Cambridge: $1,924,398,042

Another thing to look at is the fact that Boston is also packed with biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. We're second only to the Bay Area in this regard.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw the "Boston = Academia, Houston = Real Life" comment...what in the world are you talking about?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:

So we just live with our heads in the clouds up here? Is New England not part of the real world you speak of? Maybe I'll find it in the back of one of those paper things with words...what are they called...oh. books!

Was it not the innvators of New England that fought to create America? Who invented the internet? Who created public education? Nah totally unimportant. Some of the doctors, Have you heard of Harvard, Tufts, Boston University!?!? Will they not be performing the same treatments here as in Houston? Or do you have a different type of medicine down there?

Well just because 5 million people get a check up there doesn't make it better. There are 100's of hospitals in Masssachusetts. Houston is the only major city for a large distance, many people don't have a choice but use TMC. Boston's hospital's are among the best in the world, according to those studies you guys refuse to look at. Boston metro receives $2billion in federal research money from the NIH four times as much as Houston...the fed gov't thinks we're on the right track.

and Buddy, I'm not a Bostonian! I live 2 hours away in a different metro totally independent of Boston.

Last edited by lmkcin; 03-15-2010 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,047,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So we just live with our heads in the clouds up here? Is New England not part of the real world you speak of? Maybe I'll find it in the back of one of those paper things with words...what are they called...oh. books!

Was it not the innvators of New England that fought to create America? Who invented the internet? Who created public education? Nah totally unimportant. Some of the doctors, Have you heard of Harvard, Tufts, Boston University!?!? Will they not be performing the same treatments here as in Houston? Or do you have a different type of medicine down there?

Well just because 5 million people get a check up there doesn't make it better. There are 100's of hospitals in Masssachusetts. Houston is the only major city for a large distance, many people don't have a choice but use TMC. Boston's hospital's are among the best in the world, according to those studies you guys refuse to look at. Boston metro receives $2billion in federal research money from the NIH four times as much as Houston...the fed gov't thinks we're on the right track.

and Buddy, I'm not a Bostonian! I live 2 hours away in a different metro totally independent of Boston.
Masssachusetts is a state, and what do you mean Houston is the only major city for a large distance. Austin and San Antonio are like 3 hours, aways! I said Boston = Academia, Houston = Real Life, what I mean is Boston does more research, Yes education is important but most go there and leave, and go to places like Houston for there careers. "yes Boston gets four times as much NIH federal research money than Houston " ) Houston actually employees more Doctors and etc. Then lets say Boston has 2 or 3 hospitals ranked a bit better than Houston's top hospital, Houston generally have way more hospitals. TMC is like a city.

Texas Medical Center - Facts and Figures (http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/root/en/GetToKnow/FactsandFigures/Facts+and+Figures.htm - broken link)

File:FlightHoustontoDallas086.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You did assume I was a Houstonian, I live 12 hours away. ) Buddy I never call you a Bostonian! and 2 hours away from Boston? you stay in Greater Boston or near )

Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 AM

113 posts, read 248,950 times
houston needs respect!
and all i know is houston is known for the Texas Medical Center

Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Masssachusetts is a state, and what do you mean Houston is the only major city for a large distance. Austin and San Antonio are like 3 hours, aways! I said Boston = Academia, Houston = Real Life, what I mean is Boston does more research, Yes education is important but most go there and leave, and go to places like Houston for there careers. "yes Boston gets four times as much NIH federal research money than Houston " ) Houston actually employees more Doctors and etc. Then lets say Boston has 2 or 3 hospitals ranked a bit better than Houston's top hospital, Houston generally have way more hospitals. TMC is like a city.

Texas Medical Center - Facts and Figures (http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/root/en/GetToKnow/FactsandFigures/Facts+and+Figures.htm - broken link)

You did assume I was a Houstonian, I live 12 hours away. ) Buddy I never call you a Bostonian! and 2 hours away from Boston? you stay in Greater Boston or near )
Yes, you're right, Massachusetts is a state.
Why I said Houston is the only major city for a large distance is because IT IS. Three hours for me is New York City, if that's any indication. But that's only after travelling through Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport and Stamford. Everyone of those cities has 100,000+. Boston's hospital's don't have to serve people from far away (of course they can). But Worcester, Providence, and Manchester are each 45 mins away from the center of Boston, each have major hospitals, several in fact. Good for Houston for deciding to put all its hospitals in the same spot. Boston's hosptials are a bit better?!? MGH and Brigham/Women's are top 10. Does Methodist Hospital = TMC...it's number 20!
America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll - US News and World Report
I don't dispute TMC's size, but that's not always better. But I guess it is in Texas.

Funny story, my best friend was born in Houston and her father is a doctor...guess where they moved to? Massachusetts, a better opportunity to practice medicine here.

You can't quantify where people end up after they graduate college. You can only assume they end up some where. I will say this, a great number stay behind in Boston.

I didn't assume you live in or near Houston. But I promise, you assumed I lived in/near Boston. Did you think Boston was the only city in Massachusetts?
What does your last statement mean? No I don't stay near Boston.
Is two hours near? Western Mass and damn proud!

Last edited by lmkcin; 03-16-2010 at 01:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City