Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post

P.S. I lived in Colorado for 5 years and I've studied geology.

Sure you did.

Where is the water source coming from to grow out the plains East of Denver? I told you the nearest water source is the Ogallala aquifer and that water is evaporating quickly to the point where people eventually may not even be able to live in the breadbasket region of Neb,Kan,Okla,Tex.

Just checked a few of your latest posts and I dont have time to play games with you kid. Go pester someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 11:04 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
San Francisco

Old 08-31-2015, 11:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Sure you did.

Where is the water source coming from to grow out the plains East of Denver? I told you the nearest water source is the Ogallala aquifer and that water is evaporating quickly to the point where people eventually may not even be able to live in the breadbasket region of Neb,Kan,Okla,Tex.

Just checked a few of your latest posts and I dont have time to play games with you kid. Go pester someone else.
How about you put forth a convincing argument instead of resorting to name calling? That's usually a sign of defeat and/or ignorance. And it's not like I'm the only one calling you out. You made a ridiculous claim and now you're shifting your definition, pretending like it's a radioactive wasteland east of Denver.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Why is phillie being talked about in this thread? Some things never change

Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Why is phillie being talked about in this thread? Some things never change
Yeah, the Philly Booster Squad ( PBS) is at it again. It's like a recurring disease you can never quite shake. They have to inject Philly into everything.

And as a general statement, eastern CO is not a wasteland. The winter wheat crop is pretty impressive, as is the livestock.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You asked how can DC's real estate values be so high despite its inland location. I gave you the answer. The Federal Government.

No Federal Government in Washington DC and its inland location is most likely home to 1 M people with a $75 B economy. DC being home to the federal government is the 1 anomally as the top 10 Most Expensive Real Estate Markets. The other 9 have 1 thing in common. They are all located on the coast.

Denver the is 11th rated most expensive housing market, eventhough its not on the coast has serious geographical restraints There is no East in Denver, its a barren wasteland. and you cant go too far west without hitting mountains.

2015 Top 10 Most Expensive Real estate markets(Kiplinger)

1. San Jose (Coastal/Tech)
2. San Francisco (Coastal/Tech)
3.Los Angeles(Coastal)
4.Honolulu (Paradise Island)
5.San Diego (Coastal)
6.Bridgeport CT.(Coastal)
7.NYC (Coastal/Business)
8.Washington DC( Inland/ Federal Government)
9.Boston(Coastal/Eds + Meds)
10 Seattle(Coastal)
11. Denver(Inland/Sandwiched between the Rockies + Pluto)

25.Philadelphia(INLAND/Comparable to Boston in Eds/Meds but has 60 miles of real estate to its east, northeast,southeast)

Dallas + Houston the 2 economic monsters right now have real estate values 25-30% % less than Philadlephia. Why? Because like Philadlephia and Atlanta they are landlocked with ample room to build. No restraints/ Land is plentuful and cheap.
DC's housing prices were not always anywhere near this high. Go look at figures for the 1980's and 1990's. Their housing has taken off in the last decade. The Fed Govt has been in DC forever, so you can't refute that.

Bottom line is, which Philadelphians have difficulty grasping, is that the city is not really on the radar for jobs and opportunities. Companies don't want to come here because of the workforce and tax structure. How many Wharton grads stay here and create startups? Boston, DC, Houston, SF etc are becoming more desirable, while Philly just slowly plugs along being left behind. Has always been the case, and always will be the case until this area gets it leadership act together and slashes the horrible city workforce and the tax structure. And the city should embrace gentrification instead of having mayoral candidates talk about stopping it.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yeah, the Philly Booster Squad ( PBS) is at it again. It's like a recurring disease you can never quite shake. They have to inject Philly into everything.

And as a general statement, eastern CO is not a wasteland. The winter wheat crop is pretty impressive, as is the livestock.

Simple. I live here and I run into them all the time. They just can't accept no one really is interested in this city but them. Go anywhere in the country and ask young people if they want to move to Philly. Laugh in your face is what you will get.

Was so funny on the local news a month or so ago to see a local tv reporter in Rome asking Europeans if they want to visit Philly. Couldn't find one single person to say yes. When asked the answers were Boston, DC, NYC, SF, LA etc etc.

Philadelphia has loads of no go areas and is quite a blue collar city with a high poverty level.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Simple. I live here and I run into them all the time. They just can't accept no one really is interested in this city but them. Go anywhere in the country and ask young people if they want to move to Philly. Laugh in your face is what you will get.

Was so funny on the local news a month or so ago to see a local tv reporter in Rome asking Europeans if they want to visit Philly. Couldn't find one single person to say yes. When asked the answers were Boston, DC, NYC, SF, LA etc etc.

Philadelphia has loads of no go areas and is quite a blue collar city with a high poverty level.
while I at the same time has loads of areas that are really nice and more white collar jobs than 90% of the metros in the country.

I do agree that for reason there are a few posters on here (some of them making the same terrible arguement they made in 2009...) that say really dumb things.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Go anywhere in the country and ask young people if they want to move to Philly. Laugh in your face is what you will get.

I hesitate to chime in on this thread, because it's already off-topic enough. It's not about Philly, and it really shouldn't be interjected here. However I have to point out that if there is an (occasionally irrational) 'Philly Booster Squad' (and there is), there is also a 'Philly Basher Squad' that turns up with at least equal frequency, who in turn refuse to give Philly credit for anything, and who, as often as not are stuck in a 'Rocky' era time-warp in their perception of the city, spouting outdated, or just plain erroneous nonsense.

We have a lot of problems here, and I would never deny that or try to gloss it over. But that's far from the whole story, and the last time I checked, every other city in America is grappling with the same issues.

As far as young people, if anything, they are one of the main drivers behind the city's turnaround. You can see it just walking around town. Only someone blinded by an agenda could fail to notice, or pretend otherwise:

Forbes Under 30 Summit

"The Under 30 Summit will return to Philadelphia from October 4th to 7th, convening more than 2,000 of the planet’s top young entrepreneurs and game-changers, as well as world-class mentors."

A Philadelphia Workplace, With Millennials in Mind

"The project aims to tap into an influx of millennials — those born between the early 1980s and the early 2000s — who are being drawn to Philadelphia by growing job opportunities and housing that, for now, is more affordable than that in Washington or New York.

The city is also retaining more local university students who are staying after graduation in response to the growing job market, greater availability of housing, improved amenities such as public parks, and a vibrant downtown restaurant scene."

Millennials Have Overrun Philadelphia

"Seven years ago, people in this age group made up only a little more than one-fifth of the total Philadelphia population, according to Pew. Today, they account for more than a quarter....Last year’s demographic gains bring Philly’s recent population boom to about 59,000 total newcomers since 2006, when a decades-long decline hit its nadir of just fewer than 1.49 million people. Today, nearly 1.55 million people call the fifth-largest U.S. city home."

U.S. Census Survey: New Yorkers Move to Philadelphia More Than Any Other Big City in the U.S.

"Philadelphia is the U.S. city that sends the most new residents to New York, sending 19,000 people a year to New York. And conversely, Philadelphia is the city to which New York sends the most new residents, sending Philly approximately 27,000 new residents every year."

Old 09-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
I hesitate to chime in on this thread, because it's already off-topic enough. It's not about Philly, and it really shouldn't be interjected here. However I have to point out that if there is an (occasionally irrational) 'Philly Booster Squad' (and there is), there is also a 'Philly Basher Squad' that turns up with at least equal frequency, who in turn refuse to give Philly credit for anything, and who, as often as not are stuck in a 'Rocky' era time-warp in their perception of the city, spouting outdated, or just plain erroneous nonsense.

We have a lot of problems here, and I would never deny that or try to gloss it over. But that's far from the whole story, and the last time I checked, every other city in America is grappling with the same issues.

As far as young people, if anything, they are one of the main drivers behind the city's turnaround. You can see it just walking around town. Only someone blinded by an agenda could fail to notice, or pretend otherwise:

Forbes Under 30 Summit

"The Under 30 Summit will return to Philadelphia from October 4th to 7th, convening more than 2,000 of the planet’s top young entrepreneurs and game-changers, as well as world-class mentors."

A Philadelphia Workplace, With Millennials in Mind

"The project aims to tap into an influx of millennials — those born between the early 1980s and the early 2000s — who are being drawn to Philadelphia by growing job opportunities and housing that, for now, is more affordable than that in Washington or New York.

The city is also retaining more local university students who are staying after graduation in response to the growing job market, greater availability of housing, improved amenities such as public parks, and a vibrant downtown restaurant scene."

Millennials Have Overrun Philadelphia

"Seven years ago, people in this age group made up only a little more than one-fifth of the total Philadelphia population, according to Pew. Today, they account for more than a quarter....Last year’s demographic gains bring Philly’s recent population boom to about 59,000 total newcomers since 2006, when a decades-long decline hit its nadir of just fewer than 1.49 million people. Today, nearly 1.55 million people call the fifth-largest U.S. city home."

U.S. Census Survey: New Yorkers Move to Philadelphia More Than Any Other Big City in the U.S.

"Philadelphia is the U.S. city that sends the most new residents to New York, sending 19,000 people a year to New York. And conversely, Philadelphia is the city to which New York sends the most new residents, sending Philly approximately 27,000 new residents every year."

You can't compare raw numbers of NY'ers moving to Philly and vice versa. Cities are way different in size. You compare on a per capita basis. Philly is sending a far higher % of its population to NYC than the other way round. Anecdotally this is my experience seeing many friends leave for NYC over the years. The leadership here has to change, and the large inefficient public city workforce and heavy tax burden has to be changed. The wage tax here and now real estate costs (terrible money sucking public school system) are insidious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City