Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:23 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ive said this here on cd a million times. The US has a high standard of living vs most of the Euro cities often lauded as examples of "world class".
I agree, also some of the cities not considered world class in Europe seemed to have a higher standard of living to me than some of the usual heavy weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
The reason on made that post is because too many ppl on this forum put way too much stock in population when ranking cities or to a more specific topic such as world class.

One poster made some specific points to justify LA as world class. Some points were good while other points were terrible.

Two such points were airport O&D which has more to do with CSA than city proper. Another was world class amusement parks. Last time I checked Disneyland is in Anahiem, Not Los Angeles. Third point was more international destinations. The disparity between LAX and SFO for direct flights to foreign countries isn't that substantial to discredit one city while praising the other as world class.
Anaheim is only 25 miles away from LA.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
I would love to enjoy cool summer temps, but that doesn't mean I'm moving to San Fran.

Unless, of course, I have an outstanding fall harvest from the Money Tree.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 17,083 times
If you're talking about just the city proper, then I'd say Houston. Boston and San Francisco are both small (but dense) cities and a lot of their clout comes from the area surrounding them. e.g. Boston gets credit for a lot of stuff that goes on in Cambridge AND
San Francisco gets credit for a lot of stuff that goes on in Silicon Valley.

Houston is larger in area and in population (but more spread out).

If you include the entire metropolitan area, I'd definitely say San Francisco. The city itself is great and the surrounding area is an economic powerhouse.

I'd put Houston at number 5, DC at number 6 and Boston at number 7.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:50 AM

233 posts, read 368,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontFearTheReaper View Post
If you're talking about just the city proper, then I'd say Houston. Boston and San Francisco are both small (but dense) cities and a lot of their clout comes from the area surrounding them. e.g. Boston gets credit for a lot of stuff that goes on in Cambridge AND

If you include the entire metropolitan area, I'd definitely say San Francisco. The city itself is great and the surrounding area is an economic powerhouse.

Houston MSA = 10,000 sqmi, >6M pop
Boston CSA = 10,000 sq mi >8M pop

Boston is accepted as a major global city, Houston is not
Boston land area = 48 sqmi
Cambridge land area = 7 sq mi separated from Boston by a small river made into a lake by a dam
Houston land area is >600 sqmi
Harvard medical, business and laws schools are all in Boston and its huge new science center will be in Boston, too
travel MIT to Boston is less than 5 minutes either walking or heavy rail subway
The Boston metro extends from m NH to RI so while the city is small in area and compact it centers a huge area and population

Old 11-09-2015, 02:39 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Houston MSA = 10,000 sqmi, >6M pop
Boston CSA = 10,000 sq mi >8M pop

Boston is accepted as a major global city, Houston is not
Boston land area = 48 sqmi
Cambridge land area = 7 sq mi separated from Boston by a small river made into a lake by a dam
Houston land area is >600 sqmi
Harvard medical, business and laws schools are all in Boston and its huge new science center will be in Boston, too
travel MIT to Boston is less than 5 minutes either walking or heavy rail subway
The Boston metro extends from m NH to RI so while the city is small in area and compact it centers a huge area and population
It's not?

Old 11-10-2015, 01:56 PM

233 posts, read 368,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
It's not?
No its not and you can Google for answers as easily as I can

Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontFearTheReaper View Post

Lmao Houston doesn't place over DC in anything...... Maybe in a alternate universe. DC is alpha world class and Houston is a crusty sprawling toe compared to it.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 AM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Wait, OP didn't list the top 4?

Anyway, this is my top 5 great American cities.

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. San Francisco

Old 11-11-2015, 11:19 AM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Lmao Houston doesn't place over DC in anything...... Maybe in a alternate universe. DC is alpha world class and Houston is a crusty sprawling toe compared to it.
You're a hater. Houston places above DC in population, GDP, ethnic diversity, and international business trade.

DC is above all in international politics but that's the only thing it has above Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City