Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Umm, my dad who is a computer programmer and travels all over the country and world for jobs. In fact, just a couple months ago he flew to upstate from Florida (where he currently works) for a conference, and is going to Paris in October for another conference. Trust me, he's been doing this for 30 years all over the world.
Florida is home to Apple and Microsofts Latin American headquarters. Florida has the same technology as everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Mainframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly.
Assembler language and Pl/1. Comments?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
New Yorkers act the SAME EXACT WAY. It's BOTH states.

Fair enough. But we can back ourselves up better because it's NY

Old 08-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Florida is home to Apple and Microsofts Latin American headquarters. Florida has the same technology as everywhere else.

Ok, and you've worked in any field in technology in FL and NY?

That computer language my mom is talking about is what was used in NY in from the 1960s until about the 1980s. My dad couldn't find a job after 9/11 when he got laid off. Job after job in NY told him they don't use the old computer language he knows. It was until a job in Florida contacted him and said that they still use that old language. His job also sends him to the northeast often to conferences so he can learn the latest technology.

Enough proof for you?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:

That computer language my mom is talking about is what was used in NY in from the 1960s until about the 1980s. My dad couldn't find a job after 9/11 when he got laid off. Job after job in NY told him they don't use the old computer language he knows. It was until a job in Florida contacted him and said that they still use that old language. His job also sends him to the northeast often to conferences so he can learn the latest technology.

Enough proof for you?
This is only proof that your father only knows an outdated technology.

No one needs to have worked in the IT field to see that, you have stated it yourself.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:50 PM

^^Why my dad knows outdated technology is not the point. It's proof that he travels to places in the northeast and California to learn the latest technology, but Florida continues to use this old technology that is no longer in effect in NY. How many times do I have to say this? It isn't difficult to understand. You guys just fail to admit that other areas of the country are behind in technology.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
^^Why my dad knows outdated technology is not the point. It's proof that he travels to places in the northeast and California to learn the latest technology, but Florida continues to use this old technology that is no longer in effect in NY. How many times do I have to say this? It isn't difficult to understand. You guys just fail to admit that other areas of the country are behind in technology.
I just did a quick search and out of 24 job listings that asked for Pl/1 experience about 3 were in NY and a couple in NJ.

I also know that there are many technology companies headquartered in Florida manufacturing new technology not just using it.

These 2 facts would seem to fly in the face of what you are saying.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:59 PM

353 posts, read 816,045 times
Quote:

Enough proof for you?
This has nothing to do with my previous question!
the fact that your dad has travelled around the world (even if he didn't) is irrelevant meaning there are parts of the world that are sometimes more advanced in technology than the U.S. and in others way behind, but how in the world can you explain that Florida being in the U.S. and being a place that many retirees live in how could it have "outdated technology"??
It doesn't make sence you would think you need some of the best use of equipment for the seniors.
As someone else mentioned, your dad might just be in the field where he needs to administrate older equipments...

Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
I think that Florida will surpass NY in the next 15 yrs as the 3rd most important state. The welfare and tax haven is doing no favors for NY state. Just ask 90% of the upstaters.

Most of NY state never recovered unfortunately from the loss of manufacturing. The state is very unfriendly for business because of the high regulation and high taxes and despite this high regulation there is still alot of pollution.

Florida, while having its problems with the housing crisis, is still growing and desirable for most people to live. There is alot of wealth all along the coasts there and due to its low taxes businesses will tend to locate there. I can't wait till Trump makes a full time residence in Florida as well as others like Golisano so that they can keep their money instead of giving it to the leach like corrupt govt in NY.

Once NY straightens out its social governmental and economic problems, it could thrive as a state again

There is really no other state that can challenge for #3 any time soon. Maybe Georgia or N Carolina?

Until then NY and Florida will be battling for a hold on #3

Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I just did a quick search and out of 24 job listings that asked for Pl/1 experience about 3 were in NY and a couple in NJ.

I also know that there are many technology companies headquartered in Florida manufacturing new technology not just using it.

These 2 facts would seem to fly in the face of what you are saying.

Yeah, not many in metro NY because it's no longer used very much! 3/24 is nothing...

Ok, I'll take your word for it, because I know a real estate agent knows more about the technology field than my computer programmer dad with 30 years of experience around the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City