Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 AM

11 posts, read 31,667 times

Advertisements

After living nearly 30 years in Austin, I'm on the verge of deciding whether or not to relocate to Santa Fe.

Those of us who have lived in Austin for any appreciable amount of time would know that this is a tough decision to make. Both cities have a lot going for them (leaving aside the weather, of course).

So, to get a perspective similar to mine as I make up my mind, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who is in their 40s and lived in Austin during the 80s and/or 90s, and who now lives in Santa Fe. I'm very interested to hear your opinions. Or if you know someone who fits this profile, I'd be interested in contacting them.

Thanks, everyone. I've been reading through the forum, and it's already been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 AM

88 posts, read 282,278 times
I hope you don't mind if I get in on this thread you started about moving to Santa Fe. My hubby and I moved back to Austin a year ago (I used to live here in the 90s). It truly is a great city, HOWEVER, we don't know if we can stand the traffic and the rudeness of people any longer. Santa Fe is also at the top of our list and we have visited there a few times.

Even if Santa Fe grows and develops, it is nowhere close to the insanely huge growth spurt that Austin has experienced these last 7 years. I want the old Austin back!! But that is an impossibility. Someone here in the forum said something that is very wise and that is that people should move to an area where they will find their bliss. Santa Fe has a few cons going for it (expensive, etc.) but it has so much to offer.

Here in Austin I've talked to a ton of people from other cities like Chicago and LA who have moved here. They want Austin to become just like the city they left behind and that's not really fair for the Austinites who have lived here many years and are putting up with all the development around the city.

I know that it's hard to leave Austin and I know that we would be heartbroken too. However, having to take the bus in sweltering heat to save money (over 105 this past July), is awful. Smcdow if you want to move to Santa Fe, go for it! Because we may follow very soon.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,000,094 times
Hi smcdow and southernjedi -

I think the best thing for you to do is start reading the threads here in the Santa Fe forum; I believe you will find very valuable information there and you will have many of your questions answered.

Then...if you have specific questions, you could post them. It's really hard to respond to such general posts without knowing what you specifically want to know.

~Towanda

Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM

180 posts, read 564,639 times
I too am considering a move to Santa Fe from Austin. I'm depressed even thinking about it, I love Austin! But I agree with the above poster... traffic is intense, and Austin was simply not ready for all this growth. There are other things, like the influx of yuppie developments, but this isn't a bash Austin post

What's the music scene like in Santa Fe? I mean, can I go out to a small bar or restaurant and hear a live band? Not every night, maybe on a weekend. Are people friendly? Will my partner and I be okay in Santa Fe, or will I suddenly have a 'girlfriend'? In Austin, it seems like there's a contest to see who can care the least, which is great. Can I live comfortably on $55k salary? My partner is a chef which means he's perennially unemployed.... Anyone heard of any personal chef jobs in SF?

Thanks

Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 AM

3,556 posts, read 10,187,891 times
I think Austin transplant would do well in SF.

My wife and I were in Austin (avoiding Ike). We really enjoyed the culture (comparable to SF).

This may potentially ****-off Santa Fe natives, but the art scene in SF is a bit more snobby than Austin. It seemed to me that Austin embraced folk-art a lot more than SF. Of course, I could be way off base.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post

This may potentially ****-off Santa Fe natives, but the art scene in SF is a bit more snobby than Austin. It seemed to me that Austin embraced folk-art a lot more than SF. Of course, I could be way off base.
Doesn't tick me off a bit.

I didn't move to Santa Fe for the art scene. I guess I would have to say it was at the bottom of my list.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:12 PM

When we visited Santa Fe we never felt uncomfortable though we did notice a few snobby people. As long as I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis, they can do whatever they want. Still, I think that SF has so much more to offer that you don't have to revolve your life around the galleries/art scene there if you don't want to.

My DH is growing very impatient with the Austin traffic every day (me too) and dealing with inconsiderate, crazy people. One example to show you what I mean (for a laugh anyway) and this actually happened to us this past weekend. We were grocery shopping at one of the HEB stores in the NW part of town. This store has the reputation of being chaotic and weird. We were standing next to each other very very close, looking at some canned goods. When someone stuck their hand between us to grab a can! Another inch or two and it would have been a b**b graze for me! The guy didn't even say excuse me, etc. This is the kind of behavior that happens a lot in this city. We've seen people do the dumbest and rudest things. Then you have to worry about traffic and how expensive it is to go out to restaurants, and the weather plus the horrible air quality. Austin just doesn't seem so exciting anymore.

Geez, is it that way everywhere?? And I know that I'm not exaggerating. Santa Fe here we come (?)

Old 09-25-2008, 12:25 PM

974 posts, read 2,334,969 times
jamesia asked "What's the music scene like in Santa Fe? I mean, can I go out to a small bar or restaurant and hear a live band? Not every night, maybe on a weekend. Are people friendly? Will my partner and I be okay in Santa Fe, or will I suddenly have a 'girlfriend'? In Austin, it seems like there's a contest to see who can care the least, which is great. Can I live comfortably on $55k salary? My partner is a chef which means he's perennially unemployed.... Anyone heard of any personal chef jobs in SF?"

There's a wonderful music scene - you can go out to any type of venue you want and listen to live music any night of the week, but in my experience there are many more options on "weekends" (Thurs - Sun). As for friendliness, yes, very. My wife and I remark that no matter where we go - even to a supermarket - we meet some really nice folks and get into conversations with everyone from the guy/gal behind the fish counter, to the cashier to customers. Of course you can also be left to yourself if that's your preference....Given the restaurant scene I would think that a good chef will always be able to find work (but I don't know that for a fact). And yes, there are personal chef jobs in Santa Fe; I personally know of two - one who did it for a wealthy family with two kids, and the other who did it for a large ranch outside of town.

With $55K/year salary you shouldn't have any problem living very well here. Of course that depends on your lifestyle. I know folks who are enjoying a great life on a whole lot less, as well as some who couldn't feed their desires for anything less than $200K per year!

Hey Towanda - it seems like we tapped into a vein of Austinites (or are you folks Austintonians?) who've got the thought of moving here. Smart! (I used to make annual trips to Austin and always enjoyed myself - but it's way too big for me as a place to live.)

Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM

GreatSantaFe, I agree with what you've said. I know some people here in Austin that make so much money every month and they're always broke! It's all in how you manage your money and your lifestile.

If we do move to Santa Fe, I'll miss Austin because it is a beautiful place with lots and lots to do. But, we're looking for a smaller city that is a gem. I'm sure that Santa Fe will continue to develop and grow but I don't see it exploding in population like Austin has these past 7 years. It's pretty bad here. But we'll be visiting Santa Fe in December during the holidays this year.

Maybe I should start a thread that asks "best places to stay in Santa Fe during the holidays"?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernjedi View Post
If we do move to Santa Fe, I'll miss Austin because it is a beautiful place with lots and lots to do.
I think Santa Fe is a beautiful place with lots and lots to do as well.

And ... it has better scenery, weather, and culture/history than Austin....in my opinion.

And as to your comment about Santa Fe developing and growing, I know we can't stop that from happening, but I personally do not want the area to grow and "develop". That is certainly not a priority for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City