Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southern California or North Jersey
Southern California 115 65.71%
North Jersey 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times

Advertisements

I don't know, it just seems SoCal is better accesible to Baja CA, Mexico, and Hawaii, then NJ and NYC is to the Carribean. If this were Miami or Florida vs SoCal, then I could see how you could say that. It seems like a Florida claim. Even people from up there rave how close Miami is to the Carrieban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,821,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Didn't you here what I said before if you go to LA ever year why don't you know that Hollywood has changed? If you have been frequent to the city why don't you know this? You seemed surprised when LA Sam told you, and said "I'll take that Hollywood is changing." Why would you say that if you claim to visit every year? Also if you visit every year you would know the various other changes around the region and downtown which you don't seem to know.
I do visit every year (except this one and I was there last August. I grew up in LA and almost never went or go to Hollywod when I lived there or when I visit. LaSam seems to know the city (unlike yourself) so I will take their word for it. You on the other hand don't seem to know LA at all.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 PM

804 posts, read 2,393,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I do visit every year (except this one and I was there last August. I grew up in LA and almost never went or go to Hollywod when I lived there or when I visit. LaSam seems to know the city (unlike yourself) so I will take their word for it. You on the other hand don't seem to know LA at all.
I know a lot about L.A. Thank you!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
OK I choked in the first response, but know I can fully adress you.

Some of these cities you listed by all means are not rundown and I am going to put those in a list.

not Rundown
  1. Ingelwood (Hollywood park the forum)
  2. Hawethorne
  3. Bellflower (OctoMom brith place)
  4. San Pedro (recent restored pacific eletric car trolley line added to the area)
  5. Long Beach (ESP. Naples, Belmont shores.etc)
  6. North Hollywood (new delvelopement in arts district)
  7. Baldwin Park
  8. pamona
  9. Downey (at least not on paramount blvd)
  10. MoneteBello
  11. Ladera Heights ( next to Baldwin Hills)
  12. Artesia (take pioneer up into Norwalk which is crap)
  13. South Gate
anyway I've only been here 2 years so I am still trying to know the areas better.
Ingelwood is and was horrible. I have family in both Inglewood on 102nd and in Lennox on 104th. (surprisingly they are close).
Hawethorne is not that bad??? Do you remember the Hawethorne mall? Of course not you don't know LA they shuit it down cause more merchandise was stollen than purchased, not to mention no matter how much security they hired they couldn't stop everyone from getting robbed in the parking lot.
Bellflower, Bell, and Bell gardens are very high gang areas.
San Pedro is horrible and you saying it's not rundown is like me saying that Spanish Harlem isn't rundown.
Long Beach.... I lived on 21st and Pacific, get to know LA and take a walk there.
I really don't feel the need to go on. All I can say is that you definately don't know LA very well. You really need to get to know LA cause you don't know it all.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,830,819 times
I'm really surprised this thread is so long after a short amount of time. I thought it'd phase out after a day, lol. I never thought CA and NNJ had enough similarities to stimulate a big discussion like this.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Wasn't Boo-Yaa Tribe from Carson? I'm guessing some parts aren't all that great if they came up there. They don't strike me as being from a nice suburb lol.
Back in the day Carson had some really bad areas. There still there just tamer than before, like most places LA crime has toned down.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Ladera Heights is also nice. It is often considered L.A.'s African American Brentwood or Beverly Hills (the community is 70% African American). Home prices are in the millions in Ladera Heights and the median income is $90,233.

Ladera Heights is very much an upscale area. Don't know why lamexican said that was ghetto, it is no south central.
It was back in the day, but it has always been border line

Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Because he is putting in decent neighborhoods within the crap ones to make it look like LA has a lot of crap areas.
LA get to know your new home...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 PM

804 posts, read 2,393,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Ingelwood is and was horrible. I have family in both Inglewood on 102nd and in Lennox on 104th. (surprisingly they are close).
Hawethorne is not that bad??? Do you remember the Hawethorne mall? Of course not you don't know LA they shuit it down cause more merchandise was stollen than purchased, not to mention no matter how much security they hired they couldn't stop everyone from getting robbed in the parking lot.
Bellflower, Bell, and Bell gardens are very high gang areas.
San Pedro is horrible and you saying it's not rundown is like me saying that Spanish Harlem isn't rundown.
Long Beach.... I lived on 21st and Pacific, get to know LA and take a walk there.
I really don't feel the need to go on. All I can say is that you definately don't know LA very well. You really need to get to know LA cause you don't know it all.
I told you I am transient. From what I seen the water front area of Long Beach is nice (queen Marry and stuff like the Naples area). San Pedro is nice in some areas and some areas are industrail.
Don't know much about Bellflower just passed it by. The areas of ingelwood I've been to are nice. Hawethrone I don't know it's alright to me.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I told you I am transcient. From what I seen the water front area of Long Beach is nice. San Pedro is nice in some areas and some areas are industrail.
Don't know much about Bellflower just passed it by. The areas of ingelwood I've been to are nice. Hawethrone I don't know it's alright to me.
Long Beach stems from very nice and affluent to very ghetto. I'm glad you're finally being honest. San Pedro is mostly not even remotely nice and neither are the areas I mentioned. They stood out in my mind and I grew up in South LA. Don't call me a faker cause I've forgotten more about LA than you will ever learn. I actually love LA and always will, but it's far from perfect and it's not where I choose to live. No place is perfect, it's about what you're looking for personally for you. If you really love LA then you need to except it for what it is. I know where I chose to live my life has many imperfections,and I openly admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City