Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southern California or North Jersey
Southern California 115 65.71%
North Jersey 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 PM

48 posts, read 38,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ jersey's got a lot of other ethinic groups too...that's why i live there...

Yes they do, but the Guidos are a riot.

Have you seen this site?

www.njguido.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
weak brah

Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 PM

48 posts, read 38,819 times
Quote:
weak brah

I didnt make the site, its maintained by proud Italian Americans

Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
haha niice

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Ok both So-Cal and North Jersey have it's nice areas and bad areas. But you guys want to talk about run down places?? There's South Central L.A. and that place is an absolute ****hole, and doesn't compare to the run down places here in North Jersey. There's Newark but people don't get killed here for wearing the wrong colors, and doesn't have much of an issue with gangs like L.A. does .. Bergen County and Morris County are just about nice as any decent area-county in So-Cal ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
So-Cal has farrrr more run down places than North Jersey, please don't get me started. And So-Cal has the number one gang capital, Los Angeles! Please! To those hating on North Jersey, you probably don't know anything about it, other than the fact that it's "CLOSE" to NYC. I'm going to say it again, but if you want to talk about nice areas, North Jersey has plenty of nice areas. Take a tour in Bergen County, some parts of Passaic County, and Morris County. You will immediately discover the beauty of all these towns such as Alpine, Wayne, Long Valley, Montville, Ridgewood, Kinnelon, Cresskill, etc. To that guy who said he has heard that North Jersey is run down, I laugh at the person or source you've heard it from!!! And like I said, both So Cal and North Jersey have plenty to offer and have it's nice/bad/sketchy areas, but if you wanna talk about which place is more run down, it has to be So-Cal and many of the parts in Los Angeles pretty much explain it.
Tell that to these guys below then. And don't blame outsiders for thinking NJ is rundown and crappy when you have NJ/NE natives promoting it like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
What part of Newark is good (except for Forrest Hill and MAYBE Ironbound (This area is ok))??? What about Irvington, Orange and of course East Orange (even the downtown part of West orange has problems)??? Another FACT: Irvington statistically is more dangerous than Camden, NJ. (Violent Crime Rate of 22.4 incidents for every 1,000 people...HIGHEST IN THE STATE) but since it's population is not over 75,000 (It has 60,000 people) it cannot rank as one of the countries most dangerous cities.

I'm sorry I didn't mention Essex Fells (who don't even want to be apart of the county). I know ALOT about Jersey my friend .
Quote:
as dave chappelle said, you need to get out more...have you seen parts of the bronx, brooklyn, newark, patterson, camden, north philly, sw philly, b'more, dc, downtown miami? Compton, Cabrini Chitown & Harlem aint THAT bad....lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
NYC metro has the most "ghettos" in one area

Harlem
South Bronx
Parts of Brooklyn
Parts of Queens
*West* Newark
Irvington, NJ
East Orange, NJ
Orange, NJ
*South* Jersey City, NJ
*East* Paterson, NJ
Quote:
When you name all the biggest cities in the metro

Newark
Jersey City
Paterson
Elizabeth
Trenton

The bigger towns
Irvington
East Orange

Mount Vernon

You see that a big chunk of it is probably one of the worst sections of the North east... You know, people around the country don't think Westfield, Upper Saddle River, Paramus etc when they think "NYC metro" (Hence why a lot of people think North Jersey is a disaster)... the small towns make up most of the population, I KNOW, but there's too many of them for outsiders to realize how safe it is in the NYC metro.

That's all i meant when i said i didn't think it was that safe.. I knew it was fairly safe but some of the roughest towns are in the NYC metro.
Tell a person in the griddiest part of Irvington they're in a safe metro.. they'll be surprised since they're in one of the most dangerous cities in america.
Quote:
... Irvington is one of the most dangerous cities in the country with population 40K-60K
United States cities by crime rate (40,000 - 60,000) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EO, Newark, Irv, Orange, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Paterson, and if you want to be technical Trenton is apart of the metro.. Let's add Roosevelt, NY on Long Island to the mix because it is a part of the NYC metro, Mount Vernon isn't too great either... All these cities/towns aren't too safe.

Now I'm not goin to add all that population but there's probably around 1 million people in those dangerous cities.. that's a decent amount of people.
I just name the worst of the metro (Irvington, Newark, EO)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dam the East Coast gets no love on city-data.

But we have it for every other region, so what the heck.

DC
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Newark
Camden
Trenton
Atlantic City

Buffalo

NJ is one big cesspool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reglvr View Post
irvington< new jersey is probably the worst in the nation. Many people havent heard of this place. go there! the houses look like they were burnt in a fire alot of them. it is run by bloods bcuz thats the main gang in jersey. because of the fact that it only has 75,000 ppl. it cannot be rated as the most dangerous city in the US. which is wat it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambo811 View Post
new jersey has the worst cities in america. NEWARK the car jacking capital of the world and CAMDEN the murder capital of the world. not to mention irvington, east orange, jersey city, paterson, trenton.
This last one was followed by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
This is reasonable.
There is plenty of this kind of attention brought to Jersey from Jersey/NE natives, so where do you think peoples' idea of it being rundown and dangerous comes from? Like I said, blame them before you go blaming the rest of us.

And if you think South LA is so rundown, tell that to the same bunch that always likes to paint the picture of the East Coast being the only place with real hoods and calling LA the suburbs or the entire West Coast so safe its a joke. It seems posters from your region are either so divided on their views of each place that you guys can't come to a consensus, or some of you are full of s--t and switch angles when it fits your agenda.

I think its both, and I think the former applies to most of you. But its annoying having to read about how its all sunshine and ponies here when the subject is about crime (which is total BS), and then when we're talking strong points all of a sudden LA is a completely rundown s--thole. So if that's how you feel, then fine. But like I'm saying, talk to your own people if you don't like NJ's negative image.

I agree that there are plenty of messed up places in LA, just like there are plenty in NJ. But you guys can't have the victory every time. If LA is the most messed up as you're claiming here, then it should be the worst also when we're talking about how bad places are.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Both NJ and SoCal have stereotypes. NJ stereotypes are quite untrue (refineries, lol) and tend to be skewed towards the negative. SoCal stereotypes (sunny warm weather, palm trees, bubbly people), whether true or not, are generally skewed towards the POSITIVE. That is the difference.

Here's my thought. People are generally "charmed" by palm trees and nice weather. That's why many people are voting for SoCal. If people were given an overall tour of North NJ (good, bad, and ugly), and then given an overall tour of Southern Cal (good, bad, and ugly), then this poll would be much closer to 50-50.

But many people vote based on stereotypes, and that is just human nature. If I voted in a poll on Wyoming vs Idaho, neither of which I've been to, I'd have to vote on stereotypes as well.
Do you honestly believe that there isn't a larger number of people that find SoCal to be a nicer place than NJ? You're overselling NJ here if you think its a tie with SoCal when it comes to popular opinion. I swear, everytime the NE is losing at something, somebody's gotta start finding a way to claim that the voting is somehow unfair. Dude, seriously, SoCal is very likely to win this head to head by a much larger margin than it already is even if the only votes that were being taken here were from people who had actually been to both.

There's like 23 million people living in SoCal vs. NJ's 9 million or so, and do you have any idea how many Jersey transplants choose to live in SoCal? I get what you are saying here, but you're going to far if you think that many people are voting based solely on stereotypes. I think there is much about Jersey that is great, and I dislike the bad rap it gets. But SoCal has its stereotypes for a reason, and many people are also voting based on experience. And keep in mind that a huge reason many people are voting in favor of NJ is its proximity to NYC. So by itself, comparing the two head-to-head, more people are finding SoCal to be a nicer place.

I don't think that's any cause for NJ to feel less important or special though. I'm pretty sure most everyone would agree Hawaii is much more beautiful than SoCal, and I highly doubt anyone from SoCal would have any beef with that. SoCal doesn't become any less beautiful in that comparison, and neither does Jersey if SoCal is winning this one.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
No. Because NJ negative stereotypes are more abundant than CA negative stereotypes. That, and palm trees and idealistic images of Southern CA charm people and make them think happy thoughts. That's the way it is here on the East Coast anyway.

In all fairness, NJ has the same exact geographical diversity, minus the desert. Mountains, city, farms, suburbs, and beach/coastal, all very, very close to one another. Closer than SoCal when you count traffic
So why isn't NJ then considered the jewel of the US?? If it was truly on par with SoCal yet next to NYC, it should be kicking the crap out of SoCal here. It has its own versions of what you describe, but they're not in the same class. The same way CA cities are not in the same class as NYC in one-on-one comparisons. Why would NJ have so many negative stereotypes if it was really every bit as good as SoCal like you're making it out to be. SoCal attracts as many people as it does for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The thing about NJ is that NWNJ is it's beautiful treasure that gets little recognition because it's not so much of a tourist location, and most of NNJ residents live in the immediate NYC/Newark/JC/Paterson metros.
If you ever been out to NWNJ, than you'd get to know the full perspective of NNJ, (like tolstoy mentioned here, Ringwood is arguably one of the most beautiful towns in NJ). NWNJ Is plentiful with clean lakes, state parks, waterfalls, the Appalachian mountains, and wildlife most people wouldn't imagine NJ to even have (Coyotes, bears, etc)

NENJ is abundant with diverse urbanity that is arguably better than SoCa, good and bad, with unique suburban sprawl and concentrated refineries around one of the busiest airports in America. Most just take that in because that's all they really know... Of course that'll get SoCa the win since SoCa gets such a great countrywide perspective, while NoNJ gets.. The Sopranos, NY movies poking fun at the NJ industrial zones, and the real NJ housewives.
I'm not saying if more people knew about the whole NNJ region NNJ would win, because i know it still wouldn't, but it definitely wouldn't recieve such harsh bagging everyone is spewing out to make NNJ look like a trash can.
Agreed, the NE arguably does urbanity the best. But CA arguably has the nicest natural scenery and most diverse set of climate variation. So with all the props the NE gets on its urbanity, why is there such a struggle to try and put it on top of or on par with CA in the nature category? Its ridiculous. You guys arguing that is like us arguing that SF and LA beat out NYC for urban amenities. You guys are the big dog when it comes to urban regions, and we are for this category. Just b/c CA is winning at something shouldn't force some of you guys to make these ridiculous comparisons that make CA out to be nothing more than sun and a few beaches.

If NJ (or NY state) offered ALL that CA does when it comes to natural beauty and such, why would CA be popular at all? Why would so many people have left the East Coast to move out West for so many generations if virtually everything CA had existed in the NE? For the desert, where no Northeasterners actually move to maybe? C'mon, get real. SoCal outdoes NJ in this department, and there's no shame in that. Its not like what CA has takes anything away from what NJ has. And I feel you, NJ should get more recognition for the natural beauty it does have instead of the bad rap it gets most of the time. I think its great you're bringing attention to this fact. But let's keep things in perspective. CA clearly outdoes NJ when it comes to natural beauty.

And as far as the negative stereotypes go, you won't get any sympathy from this West Coaster. Can you even fathom how many negative stereotypes there are for CA?? Do you have any idea how often I have to hear CA/Californians called crazy on TV? Our state is stereotyped as being nothing but "fake," "plastic," blonde bimbos, surfer dudes and hippies. Much of the country thinks CA doesn't extend beyond LA, and then they're only looking at one aspect of LA to make those stereotypes. Paris Hilton is what many East Coasters seem to think of when they generalize CA.

Half the time people seem to forget that SF even exists when they think of our state, and then they're like, "oh yeah, the place with all the gay and crazy people." So don't front like NJ is the only one here that gets the abundant negative stereotypes. CA may get more praise on this forum on a regular basis, but CA gets picked apart by the nation much more often too.

Btw BPerone201, I may be primarily quoting you here, but my response is not directed at you in particular. I'm speaking generally, and I'm talking to whoever it may apply to. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to give you a hard time here, especially b/c parts of what I said don't apply to you at all. And I have no doubt what you say about NWNJ is true. NJ should be getting better recognition for how much beauty it actually has.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I'll take socal anyday. I lived in both northern NJ and LA. Northern NJ has its nice parts but the bad parts are the absolute worst. Even today, it still smells like rotten eggs on the NJ Turnpike.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 AM

15 posts, read 29,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
So, anyone who prefers to live in their hometown or metro, over another is a "homer". Yet, judging by your name, I assume you live in Southern California.

Talk about the pot, calling the kettle, black.

Also, if you have checked my more than 1,600 post: I have never bashed NJ on the forum. Simply because, I used to live in that state.

NJ is 3,000 miles away from CA, why would you care if someone prefers NJ, over it?

hmmm....this quote of yours was taken from rachaels profile ...

"Gotta love how the LA crowd jumps all over the NYC threads. Talk about an inferiority complex. Geez, they're 3,000 miles from the city!"

Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
So why isn't NJ then considered the jewel of the US?? If it was truly on par with SoCal yet next to NYC, it should be kicking the crap out of SoCal here. It has its own versions of what you describe, but they're not in the same class. The same way CA cities are not in the same class as NYC in one-on-one comparisons. Why would NJ have so many negative stereotypes if it was really every bit as good as SoCal like you're making it out to be. SoCal attracts as many people as it does for a reason.

Agreed, the NE arguably does urbanity the best. But CA arguably has the nicest natural scenery and most diverse set of climate variation. So with all the props the NE gets on its urbanity, why is there such a struggle to try and put it on top of or on par with CA in the nature category? Its ridiculous. You guys arguing that is like us arguing that SF and LA beat out NYC for urban amenities. You guys are the big dog when it comes to urban regions, and we are for this category. Just b/c CA is winning at something shouldn't force some of you guys to make these ridiculous comparisons that make CA out to be nothing more than sun and a few beaches.

If NJ (or NY state) offered ALL that CA does when it comes to natural beauty and such, why would CA be popular at all? Why would so many people have left the East Coast to move out West for so many generations if virtually everything CA had existed in the NE? For the desert, where no Northeasterners actually move to maybe? C'mon, get real. SoCal outdoes NJ in this department, and there's no shame in that. Its not like what CA has takes anything away from what NJ has. And I feel you, NJ should get more recognition for the natural beauty it does have instead of the bad rap it gets most of the time. I think its great you're bringing attention to this fact. But let's keep things in perspective. CA clearly outdoes NJ when it comes to natural beauty.

And as far as the negative stereotypes go, you won't get any sympathy from this West Coaster. Can you even fathom how many negative stereotypes there are for CA?? Do you have any idea how often I have to hear CA/Californians called crazy on TV? Our state is stereotyped as being nothing but "fake," "plastic," blonde bimbos, surfer dudes and hippies. Much of the country thinks CA doesn't extend beyond LA, and then they're only looking at one aspect of LA to make those stereotypes. Paris Hilton is what many East Coasters seem to think of when they generalize CA.

Half the time people seem to forget that SF even exists when they think of our state, and then they're like, "oh yeah, the place with all the gay and crazy people." So don't front like NJ is the only one here that gets the abundant negative stereotypes. CA may get more praise on this forum on a regular basis, but CA gets picked apart by the nation much more often too.

Btw BPerone201, I may be primarily quoting you here, but my response is not directed at you in particular. I'm speaking generally, and I'm talking to whoever it may apply to. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to give you a hard time here, especially b/c parts of what I said don't apply to you at all. And I have no doubt what you say about NWNJ is true. NJ should be getting better recognition for how much beauty it actually has.
Exactly, and none taken.. I think i mentioned it on here that CA hands down has better topography than NJ. (or i might of just thought it and didn't write it)
NJ is the most misunderstood in east, and CA is the most misunderstood state in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City