Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is better??
Dallas Metro 32 28.83%
Philadelphia Metro 53 47.75%
Denver Metro 26 23.42%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:47 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly you can find that SAME variety in Dallas as you can in Philly. People need to understand that this sin't 1950.
Thank you! Some times I get the impression that people seem to think that Texas is either a time capsule of the 1950's or 1880's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Thank you! Some times I get the impression that people seem to think that Texas is either a time capsule of the 1950's or 1880's.
That's the pecking order in the US, apparently.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
It's almost 2010 in Dallas - the most recent phase of the nation's largest Arts District - the Wyly Theater (by Rem Koolhaas - Pritzker Prize) and Winspear Opera House (Sir Norman Foster - Pritzker Prize):

Photos by Ninjatune "The Urban Fabric" aka Justin Terveen - (with his permission):

(BTW)

Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
That thing looks ugly from the Woodall Rogers Freeway, but the pictures are nice. Ninjatune always takes good pictures.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly you can find that SAME variety in Dallas as you can in Philly.
NO!

Philadlephia probably has the largest collection of 19th,18th and 17th century architecure of any metro in the USA except metro NYC.

Philadelphia had a 150-200 year head start on Dallas,Denver and Atl. You have to take that into consideration. Metro Dallas population in 1950 was equivalent to Philadelphia(1820). In 1940 the population of metro Dallas was 250K meanwhile Philadlephia was 2.5 M.

Think of all the amazing older architecture that was built in Philadlephia from 1700-1950 that Dallas completely missed out on. Thats part of the equation that makes the Philadlephia area unique and gives it the edge in this matchup. It along with NYC is the patriarch of the USA. Dallas new money is nice but not near the ilk of of Philadlephias Old Money.

19th Century- Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia. Courtesy Swinefeld

Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's almost 2010 in Dallas - the most recent phase of the nation's largest Arts District - the Wyly Theater (by Rem Koolhaas - Pritzker Prize) and Winspear Opera House (Sir Norman Foster - Pritzker Prize):

Photos by Ninjatune "The Urban Fabric" aka Justin Terveen - (with his permission):

(BTW)

I've never been a huge fan of Norman Foster but I really like the Winspear Opera House. I think Wyly Theater is my favorite project to designed by OMA with the exception of the Seattle Library. So did Koolhaas and Foster win a Pritzker Prize for those projects or where you just stating that they are Pritzker Prize winning architects?

Oh and has anyone scene Morphosis's proposed Natural Museum of Science? I found some images online, but I'm not sure if I can post them because of copy wright laws, so here are some links:

Museum of Nature and Science / Morphosis | ArchDaily

Next Stop on the Mayor's Dallas Makeover Tour, the Perot Museum of Nature & Science - Dallas News - Unfair Park

Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
NO!

Philadlephia probably has the largest collection of 19th,18th and 17th century architecure of any metro in the USA except metro NYC.

Philadelphia had a 150-200 year head start on Dallas,Denver and Atl. You have to take that into consideration. Metro Dallas population in 1950 was equivalent to Philadelphia(1820). In 1940 the population of metro Dallas was 250K meanwhile Philadlephia was 2.5 M.

Think of all the amazing older architecture that was built in Philadlephia from 1700-1950 that Dallas completely missed out on. Thats part of the equation that makes the Philadlephia area unique and gives it the edge in this matchup. It along with NYC is the patriarch of the USA. Dallas new money is nice but not near the ilk of of Philadlephias Old Money.

19th Century- Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia. Courtesy Swinefeld

Well you can find some Southwestern architecture in Fort Worth and the Dallas area that you can't find in Philadelphia. I know that there are some historic Art Deco buildings in Houston and Abilene (of all places) from 1920-40's so I would assume Dallas would have a few Art Deco buildings as well. but in general you are right that Dallas can't compete with Philadelphia's architectural history but I would say the newer architectural and civil projects of a city give you a good idea on where the city is at the moment and where the city is going.

And in addition, if you knew a great deal about the importance of Philadelphia's history in architecture, I think you would have been able show some better representations of the cities legacy. But regardless, they are beautiful pictures Philadelphia's historic neighborhoods.

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-21-2009 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I've never been a huge fan of Norman Foster but I really like the Winspear Opera House. I think Wyly Theater is my favorite project to designed by OMA with the exception of the Seattle Library. So did Koolhaas and Foster win a Pritzker Prize for those projects or where you just stating that they are Pritzker Prize winning architects?

Oh and has anyone scene Morphosis's proposed Natural Museum of Science? I found some images online, but I'm not sure if I can post them because of copy wright laws, so here are some links:

Museum of Nature and Science / Morphosis | ArchDaily

Next Stop on the Mayor's Dallas Makeover Tour, the Perot Museum of Nature & Science - Dallas News - Unfair Park
My cousin (longtime resident of University Park) took me to see the WOH and I think it totally rocks! Kuudooos, Dallas!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
I would assume Dallas would have a few Art Deco buildings as well.
In fact Dallas has the largest collection of Art Deco exhibition buildings in the world - Fair Park, built for the 1936 Texas Centennial:

Here's a thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...tructures.html

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM

228 posts, read 397,697 times
As a matter of fact not opinion Dallas is light years ahead of Philly in the retail enviroment. DFW has more retail sq footage per person than any other metro area. Northpark Mall is the 4th highest grossing mall in the U.S. There are numerous malls and retails centers in DFW. Stick to cheese steaks and poor pro football and leave the shopping to Dallas. As far as population goes Dallas will surpass Chicago within the next 50 years. Philly is just a regional city at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City