Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:24 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,734,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Well I grew up in the country and we may be more sensitive as human beings,or at least I am, and can pick up on vibes in an area and from what I'm getting where I live is alot of anger. It's not something I can just choose to shut out when it's all around me,from a person walking past me to the people at the local deli.
And why would a person choose to be treated more as a 'number' than a name in a city?
As far as not caring if someone is laughing behind my back,that's also something I can pick up on due to the way they act towards me,whether they're being genuine or not.
I'm not understanding why anyone would be laughing behind your back anyway? I'm sorry but maybe there's something you're not saying. It's none of my business but I feel bad that you feel people are laughing at you. I would be upset too, I just never felt that before.

Back to my original post....if I'm in a bad mood and go out, I'm not as friendly and people are not as friendly back. If I'm smiling and saying hi to people, that's what I get back in return. If not I still feel good because I can't control the world, I can only control me. If you leave the house thinking everyone is rude than that's what they are going to be.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,430,903 times
I'm not saying they laugh at me particularly,they just scoff in general.
As far as the positive thinking and controlling people's attitudes I wish I had that power,but I barely think that me being nice or rude will cause everyone around me to act the same. I mean,maybe if you're a woman or something.Remember that song 'she can turn the world on with her smile'...?

Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,424,142 times
I found this to be true in more affluent areas, where if your not as rich as the people who live there, your not really wanted there. Same thing if your making too much money in a poor area and not a local (meaning born and breed in that particular town for a few decades) In general, our society has always been this way, I do not think its just of late that is has been happening here...there has always been mean people among us.

There are some, you have to look for us, we are usually not surrounded by a bunch of mall women who must be all decked out from head to toe every single day, we are usually content with who we are and it shows, and this bothers the insecure women who must bond in their little groups.

We are few and far between, but often not sought after, cause we are real women and men who do not have to put on airs to impress people.

I know all about that, experience it everyday just bout.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:46 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,666,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
No,you see the people where I live have bad attitudes and are proud of them!
They're not just having a bad moment,they're like that all the time!
Have to say, just look at how our fans treat their best star pro athletes. Not talking about the opposition here. I'm talking our own. Yet it makes us unique (just compare to St. Louie's fans who are just as passionate and knowledgable

Philly is tough. And, yes, proud of it. Some neighborhoods, and surrounding suburbs can be downright pleasant collectively, while others you just fit in more being a little more frustrated. Different uniquenesses make the world go round

I do go to other suburbs than the one area I'm in to shop, for instance. When you're pleasant, just better odds of it either be automatically reciprocated or be contageous. Don't have to even be overly friendly, but just a smile or "hellos" being returned with groans and frowns can get pretty old. Some areas are just tougher in this regard, it just makes them unique from others. And Philly is certainly proud of theirs.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 11,397 times
I moved from upstate NY to the Kansas City area early last year. Some days I think to myself, wow, people are pretty rude out here, but maybe it's just a city thing. I've lived in a small town my whole life and the people back home are very friendly and welcoming. Although i try not to overreact to certain things, people here do in general seem to be more uptight, impatient and uncaring.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:53 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,746,156 times
California and West Coast people in general tend to be extremely friendly and helpful (especially when you get out of the cities). We have some internal squabbles though. People from Oregon seem to think that we Californians intend to invade their state...(they also seem to harbor hostilities towards Washingtonians as well). For example, Oregon camp grounds used to charge out of state campers more money to camp then they did Oregon residents. California and Washington responded by charging everybody the same, except Oregonians, whom they charged more.

Surprisingly, I've had bad luck with rude people in Hawai'i. I don't think it's indicative of a larger trend however, I think they were isolated incidents. (And seriously, what's with being offered grass every 10 minutes in that State?)

Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM

Looks like some similarities in the last couple of posts with rudeness & cities

Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Surprisingly, I've had bad luck with rude people in Hawai'i. I don't think it's indicative of a larger trend however, I think they were isolated incidents. (And seriously, what's with being offered grass every 10 minutes in that State?)
That's the Maui Wowie mon

Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 PM

845 posts, read 2,735,682 times
Philly has a patent on rudeness

Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
Philly has a patent on rudeness
lol I won't argue with that! I think that's where I picked up my new layer of rudeness Hopefully one day I'll be able to detox and live a normal life elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.