U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 PM

3,081 posts, read 6,603,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
New Yorkers polite?!? haha that's a good one. Compared to the rest of the world maybe, to other cities in this country? No contest. Every city from DC to Boston is rude.

In the 3 1/2 years I lived in CT, I never encountered the "rudeness" I hear so much of in NYC or CT....Boston and Philly? that's another story!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,894,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
No surprise but overall my experience is that New Yorkers are the most rude & I lived in Brooklyn for 3 yrs. Once I jaywalked across a street well ahead of traffic. A guy started beeping at me even though there was at least 50' between us & he didn't even have to slow down. But no, he is angry so he stops his car & gets out to give me the finger & yell some Italian profanity. Meanwhile the cars behind him start beeping at him so he gives them the finger, too.

Snobbish types [and there are plenty in NYC] would react in self-righteous distain when I replied where I was from [California] & make some crack about Los Angeles even though they have never been there. You would get insulted by slobs eating greasy pizza.

I loved living in New York but never could understand their rude manners.
In New York its not so much that people are rude, its that people have places to go and things to see and your just another person in the big city.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,894,425 times
Lol people from New York think people from Los Angeles are tree-hugging hippies, trust me...i was born and raised in North Jersey.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,411,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
1. NY/NJ
2. DC/MD

Every other city in the Northeast. Don't know about the West Coast and Midwest.
Agreed.

But DC/MD is not only on the of rudest, but also the most snooty!
all these
stuffy people with their
noses in the air.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 AM

192 posts, read 434,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
In the 3 1/2 years I lived in CT, I never encountered the "rudeness" I hear so much of in NYC or CT....Boston and Philly? that's another story!
I lived in CT for 5 years, and I certainly encountered it. Perhaps the southern end is ruder than the northern end?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 AM

43 posts, read 108,795 times
I have not encountered very many rude people in my experience traveling, except in New Jersey..

This old woman got out of her car and cussed my dad out when he bumped her car backing up at less than 1 mph.

sure, it was his fault, but yelling at someone is not civil or appropriate. That is how people die in road rage incidents.

This was just an isolated incident though! You can't judge a whole state on one incident.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0578 View Post
Boston is loaded with the most self absorbed *******s hands down.
Agreed.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,008,499 times
It takes at least 2 for rudeness to happen, often many more factors come into play.

I rarely find people rude. NYC has always been great to me. So was Jersey. I loved Miami. I love Orlando. I enjoyed Chicago although there were safety issues but nobody seemed rude. The only place I can really remember thinking was rude was Los Angeles but thats unfair and a gross overstatement. Specifically Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). My flight came in late and nobody wanted to help me, in fact some of the workers yelled at me to be calm when I was perfectly calm and just asking where I needed to go. When I finally got where I needed to go the desk only had one person open and the line took me 5 hours to get through. Rude on the desks part of not getting more staff but then there was a particular lady that also held up the one desk for a good hour herself. But she did let me use her phone to call my family and let them know what had happened with my change of flight.

I've been through Newark, JFK, and LaGuardia. I've been to Manchester International, Orlando International, Miami International, Milan International, Faleolo International, and Ft. Lauderdale International. Only in Los Angeles though did I find the staff to be extremely hostile towards patrons.

I've been to many other cities via car but never found people to be inherently rude anywhere. A big part of being rude is again a 2 person deal. If I'm in a bad mood and don't want to talk to someone or in a rush I'm certainly not going to accuse them of being rude in return. But I will always remember how hostile this one particular employee at LAX was towards me, completely uncalled for.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,599,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
The only place I ever encountered flat-out RUDE people is at the Jackson Outlets in Jackson NJ. There is one particular Ultra Religious Group that live in the nearby town of Lakewood. They frequently shop at the Outlets. You know who they are....???

They have been rude to me. Sniff sniff. .boo hoo. Oh who am I kidding. I couldn't give a rats- behind if they all went away tomorrow. LOL !!!

But as for your Coyote B. - OMG How are you surviving in that fishbowl of a town????? No wonder you're on CD so much !!
I was there saturday (Jackson) and going through lakewood at night I must of almost hit 20 of those you know who's!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,011,266 times
can I hear some examples as to why bostonians come across as being rude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or