U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,176 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old girl who is originally from Germany but I have been living in San Diego, CA for the last 2 years and I lived in Toronto, Canada for a year before moving out here.
I left Toronto because it was too big and too hectic. The size of San Diego is great and I think that the city is beautiful but I don't think that most of the southern Californians are my cup of tea. It's very pretentious here and I want to move somewhere else where I can find more down to earth but at the same time fun people.
I've been to Boston which I find very beautiful and I did like the people there. But I also heard that Austin is a very nice city to live in as well as Raleigh.

So here is what I'm looking for: A city that has nice, down to earth and fun people that you can have good converations with. I hate fake and superficial people. I don't want the city to be too big and I find it great if it is possible to walk to most of the main areas. I also enjoy a good nightlife. I love meeting witty people that are also well travelled or at least interested in the rest of the world. I am educated and down to earth but can be a bit quirky at times . Which city would match my personality the best???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
 
4,570 posts, read 6,346,569 times
Reputation: 2517
Raleigh wouldn't fit you, just because of the fact that it's a whole lot more family-oriented. What is your price range?? If you are looking to not spend much on housing, then Austin is your best bet. If money wasn't an issue, then I would choose Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,625,495 times
Reputation: 7223
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanni81 View Post
I'm a 28 year old girl who is originally from Germany but I have been living in San Diego, CA for the last 2 years and I lived in Toronto, Canada for a year before moving out here.
I left Toronto because it was too big and too hectic. The size of San Diego is great and I think that the city is beautiful but I don't think that most of the southern Californians are my cup of tea. It's very pretentious here and I want to move somewhere else where I can find more down to earth but at the same time fun people.
I've been to Boston which I find very beautiful and I did like the people there. But I also heard that Austin is a very nice city to live in as well as Raleigh.

So here is what I'm looking for: A city that has nice, down to earth and fun people that you can have good converations with. I hate fake and superficial people. I don't want the city to be too big and I find it great if it is possible to walk to most of the main areas. I also enjoy a good nightlife. I love meeting witty people that are also well travelled or at least interested in the rest of the world. I am educated and down to earth but can be a bit quirky at times . Which city would match my personality the best???
Well the Boston area is about the same size as Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,375,798 times
Reputation: 2670
From what it sounds like, Austin may be a good pick for you. Boston great but may be too much like Toronto in the big city category for you (Austin has a larger population but Boston is the "bigger" city).
Austin still has everything you crave over Raleigh. Raleigh is the most car dependent and seems more family oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
 
7,302 posts, read 8,908,432 times
Reputation: 8319
Default Please keep in mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanni81 View Post
I'm a 28 year old girl who is originally from Germany but I have been living in San Diego, CA for the last 2 years and I lived in Toronto, Canada for a year before moving out here.
I left Toronto because it was too big and too hectic. The size of San Diego is great and I think that the city is beautiful but I don't think that most of the southern Californians are my cup of tea. It's very pretentious here and I want to move somewhere else where I can find more down to earth but at the same time fun people.
I've been to Boston which I find very beautiful and I did like the people there. But I also heard that Austin is a very nice city to live in as well as Raleigh.

So here is what I'm looking for: A city that has nice, down to earth and fun people that you can have good converations with. I hate fake and superficial people. I don't want the city to be too big and I find it great if it is possible to walk to most of the main areas. I also enjoy a good nightlife. I love meeting witty people that are also well travelled or at least interested in the rest of the world. I am educated and down to earth but can be a bit quirky at times . Which city would match my personality the best???
..that you'll probably need a little more money for Boston, and that Boston has 4 distinct seasons. The summers in both Austin and Raleigh will be quite hot and humid, and Boston is capable of getting considerable snowfall in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,522 posts, read 17,732,319 times
Reputation: 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
From what it sounds like, Austin may be a good pick for you. Boston great but may be too much like Toronto in the big city category for you (Austin has a larger population but Boston is the "bigger" city).
Austin still has everything you crave over Raleigh. Raleigh is the most car dependent and seems more family oriented.
I live part time in Raleigh as a SINGLE person and live DT where most of my daily activity is by foot or by the free downtown circulator bus. While it's true that much of Raleigh is very family oriented (as is much of metro Austin), its DT area is rapidly growing and the singles' scene is really exploding.
As of this past year, Raleigh and Austin (in that order) were the two fastest growing metros in the nation. They are both state capitals of rapidly growing states. They both have technology oriented economies. They both house their state's largest university. They are both growing with lots of people moving from outside their respective areas....and yes...they both have huge swaths of car dependent development as is typical of late booming metros.
Austin is a bigger city but the overall metro area is similar in size to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill CSA. While Raleigh is clearly the largest city in the area, the overall CSA has a variety of cities with a variety of personalities. Three major universities (UNC, DUKE and NCState) as well as many smaller colleges and universities call the area home. The area is awash in college students and new grads who stay in the area following graduation.
I wouldn't toss Raleigh aside without investigation further.
If the OP doesn't choose Raleigh, that's okay too. Because there will surely be another person to take her place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,375,798 times
Reputation: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live part time in Raleigh as a SINGLE person and live DT where most of my daily activity is by foot or by the free downtown circulator bus. While it's true that much of Raleigh is very family oriented (as is much of metro Austin), its DT area is rapidly growing and the singles' scene is really exploding.
As of this past year, Raleigh and Austin (in that order) were the two fastest growing metros in the nation. They are both state capitals of rapidly growing states. They both have technology oriented economies. They both house their state's largest university. They are both growing with lots of people moving from outside their respective areas....and yes...they both have huge swaths of car dependent development as is typical of late booming metros.
Austin is a bigger city but the overall metro area is similar in size to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill CSA. While Raleigh is clearly the largest city in the area, the overall CSA has a variety of cities with a variety of personalities. Three major universities (UNC, DUKE and NCState) as well as many smaller colleges and universities call the area home. The area is awash in college students and new grads who stay in the area following graduation.
I wouldn't toss Raleigh aside without investigation further.
If the OP doesn't choose Raleigh, that's okay too. Because there will surely be another person to take her place.
I'm not tossing it aside. I just think Austin does it better than Raleigh. More so in the areas of entertainment among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,585,723 times
Reputation: 4649
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanni81 View Post
So here is what I'm looking for: A city that has nice, down to earth and fun people that you can have good converations with. I hate fake and superficial people. I don't want the city to be too big and I find it great if it is possible to walk to most of the main areas. I also enjoy a good nightlife. I love meeting witty people that are also well travelled or at least interested in the rest of the world. I am educated and down to earth but can be a bit quirky at times . Which city would match my personality the best???
Austin sounds like your city. Boston maybe too big and Raleigh will probably be too boring for you.

Here are two videos of Austin's nightlife.


YouTube - Austin (TX) Nightlife (1)

YouTube - Austin (TX) Nightlife (2)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
1,991 posts, read 3,382,496 times
Reputation: 891
For people who know Raleigh, is "family oriented" code for nighttime activities are nil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
17 posts, read 33,747 times
Reputation: 27
I would choose Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top