Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has produced better hip-hop/rap? Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc) or Houston?
Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc.) 67 63.81%
Houston 38 36.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:58 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Drake's not really the typical rapper with hype stage presence and can dress etc. But he's cool. Wayne can perform good. The big guys here are : Trey Songz, Lil Wayne, Drake, Clipse, Dout Gotcha, Gucci, Fab, Cass, Wale.

Come to V.A. that's all you'll hear
Va are not playing real Hip Hop, I do not even listen to what they give here. I made my own compilation of music so I can listen to real Hip Hop.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Me Against The World was recorded entirely in NYC, not Oakland.
So? Oakland was still his home when he recorded that, which was the point. Plenty of rappers have recorded records in cities other than where they reside. Wasn't Get Rich or Die Tryin' recorded in LA? That doesn't make 50 Cent suddenly from or more associated with LA.

Quote:
Most people associate 2Pac with LA or the West Coast as a whole rather than just Oakland or the Bay Area.
Which is exactly the reason this is being brought to peoples' attention now. Many people fail to realize how interconnected he actually was with the Bay. To Live And Die In LA solidified peoples' view that he should be associated with LA.

Quote:
Houston is home to the Geto Boys, who predate NWA and basically invented the genre of Gangsta Rap.
They may have possibly been together as a local group longer, but NWA's first album (NWA & The Posse) dropped in 1987 while Geto Boys first one (Making Trouble) dropped in '88. And regardless, NWA had WAAAY more recognition and exposure for years before the rest of the country were aware of Geto Boys. My Minds Playin Tricks On Me didn't come out until NWA had split up.

How do you figure the Geto Boys invented Gangsta Rap anyway? NWA clearly created it, though Schooly D deserves honorable mention and he came out first.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
sorry but i'm going with houston on this one. Scarface is one of my facorite rappers and chamillionare, lil keke, ugk (sorta houston) are the $***. As for the bay e-40 and keak da sneak are good but other than on the dance floor or at a party i dont really listen to hyphy all that much anymore. But I will say hyphy >>> most junk on the radio

-mas23-
Man its such a shame that Hyphy is what the Bay is best known for now. There has been so much more than Hyphy, and I'm not even a fan of Hyphy myself. Its just like a little passing fad that got a lot of attention. It doesn't account for like 90-95% of the hip hop that has come out the Bay over the years.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:52 AM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
Also, I forgot Blackalicious, another great Bay Area artist.

Third Eye Vision by Hieroglyphics is an (underrated) absolute masterpiece that is better than anything that has come out of Houston, that Ive heard at least.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:05 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
So? Oakland was still his home when he recorded that, which was the point. Plenty of rappers have recorded records in cities other than where they reside. Wasn't Get Rich or Die Tryin' recorded in LA? That doesn't make 50 Cent suddenly from or more associated with LA.

Which is exactly the reason this is being brought to peoples' attention now. Many people fail to realize how interconnected he actually was with the Bay. To Live And Die In LA solidified peoples' view that he should be associated with LA.

They may have possibly been together as a local group longer, but NWA's first album (NWA & The Posse) dropped in 1987 while Geto Boys first one (Making Trouble) dropped in '88. And regardless, NWA had WAAAY more recognition and exposure for years before the rest of the country were aware of Geto Boys. My Minds Playin Tricks On Me didn't come out until NWA had split up.

How do you figure the Geto Boys invented Gangsta Rap anyway? NWA clearly created it, though Schooly D deserves honorable mention and he came out first.
Yeah I agree, mind playing tricks on me came out in 91, by then NWA had already broke away from Ice Cube and came out with 100 Miles and Runnin. And Ice Cube had already come out with 2 solo albums, and made the diss track no vaseline against NWA and Jerry Heller, and he was managing YoYo. I say The Geto Boyz put the South on the map, and brought gangsta rap to the south.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Yo CitiBoi so u dudes don't bang with Skillz anymore? What happen to that? He's the hottest out of VA my dude, he's the one who does the end-year wrap-ups on the radio.

This Skillz with Freeway. Hot track.

YouTube - Skillz ft. Freeway - Don't Act Like You Don't Know

And all these yungins wanna act like Michael on The Wire till they realize Michael just an actor on The Wire..LOL! HaHa! That line had me dying.

This is the wrap-ups i was talking about he does like every year since 04.

YouTube - Skillz Wrap Up 2008

He's from Richmond, and that's about all he's good for is end of the year wrapups lol

Old 08-15-2009, 09:25 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah I agree, mind playing tricks on me came out in 91, by then NWA had already broke away from Ice Cube and came out with 100 Miles and Runnin. And Ice Cube had already come out with 2 solo albums, and made the diss track no vaseline against NWA and Jerry Heller, and he was managing YoYo. I say The Geto Boyz put the South on the map, and brought gangsta rap to the south.
Agreed. Houston rap back than had kind of a West Coast feel to it, but added it own feel.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7xa8Mko1Y

Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
How did this thread turn into a Drake discussion? The last 6 pages have has nothing to do with Houston or the Bay Area. BTW, Drake is horrible, so is Lil Wayne. Anyone who thinks those guys are real MCs doesn't know a damn thing about Hip-Hop.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
Quote:
How did this thread turn into a Drake discussion? The last 6 pages have has nothing to do with Houston or the Bay Area. BTW, Drake is horrible, so is Lil Wayne. Anyone who thinks those guys are real MCs doesn't know a damn thing about Hip-Hop.
BEcause Drake always talks about Houston. I never said they were "real MCs," but their music is dope.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I got to agree with this, and this is coming from someone who likes Drake. However, he isn't that much different from the old Kanye West.
What? Nah.

College Dropout over anything Drake has put out.

Comeback Season is Drake's best work though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City