Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has produced better hip-hop/rap? Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc) or Houston?
Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc.) 67 63.81%
Houston 38 36.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Drake's not really the typical rapper with hype stage presence and can dress etc. But he's cool. Wayne can perform good. The big guys here are : Trey Songz, Lil Wayne, Drake, Clipse, Dout Gotcha, Gucci, Fab, Cass, Wale.

Come to V.A. that's all you'll hear
Wale! That's my favorite rapper out of the bunch you named. I went to the Inauguration back in January, and all of my cousins in PG, Maryland were hyped on Wale. That's how I got into him. Dude is for real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
In TX, it would be: Lil Wayne, Boosie, Drake, Lil Keke, Kanye West, T.I, and outside of those you got lots of locals.
Nah.

Z-Ro and Trae are at the top of the list. Boosie would move much further down, too. I heard more Boosie in Dallas than in Houston, so it also depends on where you are.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Wale! That's my favorite rapper out of the bunch you named. I went to the Inauguration back in January, and all of my cousins in PG, Maryland were hyped on Wale. That's how I got into him. Dude is for real.

Nah.

Z-Ro and Trae are at the top of the list. Boosie would move much further down, too. I heard more Boosie in Dallas than in Houston, so it also depends on where you are.

Yeah I like Wale to, it took me going up to the DMV a few times to get into him, but I like his style, its different. DMV stand up!!!! All my peoples in PG, and NE DC whats good???

Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

Nah.

I said locals, I can't really say Trae and Z-ro are mainstream. Lots of people don't know even know who they are outside of TX or maybe the south.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Agreed. Houston rap back than had kind of a West Coast feel to it, but added it own feel.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about:

YouTube - 5th Ward Boyz - Ghetto Funk
Heck yeah, that sounds like something straight outta LA.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Nah.

Yeah Trae and Z-Ro are the best in Houston I think. Be on the lookout for ChalieBoy from Tyler.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Trae and Z-Ro are lyrically gifted. Why aren't they as big as they should be? Why is it when people think of Houston the 1st thing they think is Paul Wall and Mike Jones?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Trae and Z-Ro are lyrically gifted. Why aren't they as big as they should be? Why is it when people think of Houston the 1st thing they think is Paul Wall and Mike Jones?
The same reason they only think of E-40 and Keak when they think of the Bay. Whatever sells the most or seems the most marketable will get the most attention. Its such a shame. And once again, Houston and the West are linked together lol.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
The same reason they only think of E-40 and Keak when they think of the Bay. Whatever sells the most or seems the most marketable will get the most attention. Its such a shame. And once again, Houston and the West are linked together lol.
I agree, whoever sells the most albums. TX and the westcoast stay connected.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Houston rap back than had kind of a West Coast feel to it, but added it own feel.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about:

YouTube - 5th Ward Boyz - Ghetto Funk
One thing I noticed about this music video is, this music video is being played on the channel called The Box. I used to watch The Box all the time when I was little, back when I lived in Florida. That channel brings back memories. What happened to The Box.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah I agree, mind playing tricks on me came out in 91, by then NWA had already broke away from Ice Cube and came out with 100 Miles and Runnin. And Ice Cube had already come out with 2 solo albums, and made the diss track no vaseline against NWA and Jerry Heller, and he was managing YoYo. I say The Geto Boyz put the South on the map, and brought gangsta rap to the south.
I fully agree. 2 Live Crew/Luke may have come out first, and same with Vanilla Ice (Lol), but the Geto Boyz are the ones that put the South on the map in hip hop. A lot of other stuff from the South came out shortly after, but most of it was party music like Tag Team, Duice and 95 South. I think Outkast was probably the next big name in hip hop to hit the mainstream (meaning MTV) from the South after Geto Boyz. Though I'm probably forgetting a couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City