U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM

4,892 posts, read 1,192,371 times
NYC by a mile. I have been to Chicago a few times and besides July there is not a month in that city where you don't need to carry at least a sweater on you. Its cold all the time! June and August in Chicago can still get into the 40s and low 50s at night. Any Summer where you have to wear heavy cloths to stay warm is not a pleasant Summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM

3,736 posts, read 4,734,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
NYC by a mile. I have been to Chicago a few times and besides July there is not a month in that city where you don't need to carry at least a sweater on you. Its cold all the time! June and August in Chicago can still get into the 40s and low 50s at night. Any Summer where you have to wear heavy cloths to stay warm is not a pleasant Summer.
Yeah right dude, I was in chicago for a weekend in May once and it never got below 80 degrees. I got so sunburnt and was just a sweat-hog, and I never sweat.

Ps, tell that to the 750 people in Chicago in 1995.

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM

2,479 posts, read 1,968,655 times
Quote:
Average Weather for Chicago, IL - Temperature and Precipitation

Come on man...July is the only month?? The weather isn't that different from NYC

Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,877,003 times
Quote:
Actually..
I would define Chicago as having 4 months of summer weather (May 15-Sep 15), 4 months of winter weather (Nov 15-March 15)...but only about 2 months of pretty short and crisp springs and falls respectively. NYC has quite a bit better spring, i.e. they come out of winter quicker. It's still 20 degree wind chills mid March here in the middle of the day in Chicago and the average low for march is still below freezing... Even into April, the average high is only 57...w/ average lows in the high 30s and snow not uncommon. Not very springy IMO.
Just to prove that point, only 3 months in Chicago register an average high between 60-80 degrees. The average low is also below 50 for 8 months of the year, so the guy isn't that off base. 5 of those months the average low is below freezing Nov-March.

Last edited by grapico; 03-15-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 PM

4,029 posts, read 4,070,805 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? New York is colder in the summer.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 AM

420 posts, read 354,330 times
New York is hot as hell in the summer; atleast it was the last time i went.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM

139 posts, read 73,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Thats all bogus. NYC almost never gets subzero temps even with windchill... maybe once every 10 years for a few hours at most.
I don't know how you can say that New York doesn't get subzero temps even with the windchill factor. As you can see [look at the chart below] even if the temperature is relatively moderate [for lack of a better word] at 10 degrees, if you have a 20 mile an hour wind [which is a very common wind in NYC], the temperature already feels like minus 9. My work constantly takes me to New York City and Chicago. I've been in NYC at times when the temperature has dipped below zero and has hovered in the single digits, other days it has gotten no higher than the teens. It's also been extremely, painfully windy.

That said, NYC is slowly moderating. It doesn't feel as cold now as it did as it did during my earlier travels to the Big Apple. I read an interesting article that it has to do with changing ocean currents, as well as with global warming. Summers are now stretched out to October and winters end in early March. I've lived in both Chicago and NYC. I remember when summers in NYC used to end in late August and winters would not end until late April.
file:///F:/DOCUME%7E1/RADAME%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png (broken link)file:///F:/DOCUME%7E1/RADAME%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png (broken link)file:///F:/DOCUME%7E1/RADAME%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png (broken link)
Wind speeds above 40 mph have little additional chilling affect

Old 03-19-2011, 01:33 PM

7,695 posts, read 9,081,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
What are you talking about? New York is colder in the summer.
O_O not New York City, maybe somewhere else in New York is colder. NYC is actually slightly warmer than Chicago in the Summer.

And NYC hasn't gone subzero since the mid 80's.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 PM

151 posts, read 23,880 times
L.a.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:53 PM

184 posts, read 340,714 times
On a hot summer day in Chicago, it feels hot.
Last time I visited New York in the summer it also felt hot.
I like the winters so I really don't make a big deal when it comes to cold temperatures.
But last time I visited New York in the wintertime it felt really cold as well.
I really don't think 3-7 degrees difference in the winters makes a big difference. Both cities are cold during the winter period, and like someone said before, if you can handle the winter season in Philly or New York then you should be able to deal with it in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City