U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Albany (school) NYC (home)
893 posts, read 1,817,876 times
Reputation: 327

Advertisements

According to weather.com

Chicago's Average High in July : 84 Jan: 32
New York's Average High in July: 82 Jan: 36

Chicago's Average Low: July: 66 Jan: 18
New York's Average Low: July: 68 Jan: 23

Chicago's Record: July: 104 Jan: -24
New York's Record: July: 100 Jan: -4

New York in the Winter, Fall, Spring please. Chicago in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 PM
 
318 posts, read 66,956 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
According to weather.com

Chicago's Average High in July : 84 Jan: 32
New York's Average High in July: 82 Jan: 36

Chicago's Average Low: July: 66 Jan: 18
New York's Average Low: July: 68 Jan: 23

Chicago's Record: July: 104 Jan: -24
New York's Record: July: 100 Jan: -4

New York in the Winter, Fall, Spring please. Chicago in the summer.
Thanks for the info but as a person who spent considerable amount of time in Chicago I can tell you that it is not that much low temperatures but the freezing wind that makes Chicago unbearable in the Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Albany (school) NYC (home)
893 posts, read 1,817,876 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Thanks for the info but as a person who spent considerable amount of time in Chicago I can tell you that it is not that much low temperatures but the freezing wind that makes Chicago unbearable in the Winter.
Yeah I know. I heard the wind chills due to Lake Michigan are a KILLER. Oh well. A hard winter makes you appreciate Summer that much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:41 PM
 
318 posts, read 66,956 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Yeah I know. I heard the wind chills due to Lake Michigan are a KILLER. Oh well. A hard winter makes you appreciate Summer that much more.
Yup. Especially since winters in Chicago are much longer than summers and the season tends to change over night with almost non-existant Spring and Fall. My first Chicago Winter cost me about 20lbs. I did not even know why I was so hungry all the time until the locals explained to me the phenomenon of the Winter Blues as they call it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,643 posts, read 4,230,053 times
Reputation: 1661
What about the lake effect snow? NYC metro area really doesn't get much snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Albany (school) NYC (home)
893 posts, read 1,817,876 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What about the lake effect snow? NYC metro area really doesn't get much snow.
I don't think Chicago gets lake effect snow either. But their snow average is more than New York's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,134 posts, read 22,273,218 times
Reputation: 16223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What about the lake effect snow? NYC metro area really doesn't get much snow.
Chicago is on the wrong side of the lake to get Lake Effect snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Long Island
7,875 posts, read 9,666,484 times
Reputation: 4971
Chicago
January: 31/16
July: 84/64
Records: 104/-24

New York City
January: 39/27
July: 85/70
Record: 107/-5

weather.msn.com

Both cities have areas that have warmer and cooler averages than these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
 
398 posts, read 613,493 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I hear that Chicago has better summers, but NYC has better winters (slightly since it doesn't get as cold when factoring in wind chill).
Huh? Maybe you should stop listening to these people giving bad advice.

Chicago has colder winters and hotter summers. It has more extreme weather.

I thought this was generally well-known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Chicago
10,329 posts, read 4,872,029 times
Reputation: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Yup. Especially since winters in Chicago are much longer than summers and the season tends to change over night with almost non-existant Spring and Fall. My first Chicago Winter cost me about 20lbs. I did not even know why I was so hungry all the time until the locals explained to me the phenomenon of the Winter Blues as they call it here.
Your a clown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top