Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Metro has the Best Shopping?
New York Metropolitan Area 81 54.36%
Los Angeles Metropolitan Area 30 20.13%
Chicago Metropolitan Area 12 8.05%
Other 26 17.45%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,009,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I don't think they did extensive research when they put up that sign anyways. Do you honestly think they looked into every store in the world? Only in the first world with a decent website at best, I believe. Besides there are different understandings of what defines a department store in different parts of the world. Some stores in the third world can be very large. They also sell stories and stories of mixed brand clothing, but with unknown brands, and raw cloth, etc in a messy layout like a market inside. I don't know whether in America they consider that to be a department store. I do because I think they serve the same purpose.
That store took the title in 2009. They put the sign up years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 03:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Trust me, what you find at Bloomingdale's, you really can't find anywhere else. I don't think you've ever been in the store.
I've been a few times in the DC area, nothing special to me.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:26 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,830,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've been a few times in the DC area, nothing special to me.

Well, for one, because you're a guy.

Bloomingdales' site doesn't have anything about their home section. The one a few miles from me has a HUGE home department. You wouldn't believe how much money the furniture is in there. There aren't any high-end furniture stores anywhere else besides this store.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:35 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If Chicago has a wholesale/garment district like NY and LA than I agree. Otherwise, sorry. Its just not the same.

For example, I'm going to Downtown Los Angeles tomorrow morning to do some major shopping for our family reunion next week. We're buying everything from tall skinny vases for centerpieces to fabric to plates to drinking glasses to tiki torches to volleyball nets to DJ equipment etc.

All at about 10% of what it would cost me anywhere else BUT NYC.

I think that's what separates NY and LA from everywhere else. You can get literally anything at the cheapest price possible short of smuggling it in from China-LOL
Merchandise Mart

"The Merchandise Mart is the world’s largest commercial building, largest wholesale design center and one of Chicago’s premier international business locations."

"The epicenter for high design and luxury goods, The Merchandise Mart is located in the heart of a city that is home to prestigious fine art institutions, world-class museums, award-winning architecture, professional entertainment venues and diverse restaurant offerings."

Old 08-17-2009, 03:51 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Merchandise Mart

"The Merchandise Mart is the world’s largest commercial building, largest wholesale design center and one of Chicago’s premier international business locations."

"The epicenter for high design and luxury goods, The Merchandise Mart is located in the heart of a city that is home to prestigious fine art institutions, world-class museums, award-winning architecture, professional entertainment venues and diverse restaurant offerings."
So the city only relies on 1 store?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:04 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
The Mart is so big it has its own zip code and telephone prefix. Obviously there is more to Chicago than just the Mart, I was just pointing out the fact that Chicago does have a wholesale district like LA and NYC.

I would still place those 2 cities way above Chicago in terms of fashion, but I'm actually surprised by how much NYC is leading this poll. No question that NYC is the high-end fashion capital of the Western hemisphere, but most people can't afford to wear Burberry or Gucci. That's why I voted for LA, because it's home to casual designers like Guess and American Apparel, as well as many of the skate brands like Hurley and DC Shoes.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Its a Design Center that specializes in furniture and home accessories-most cities have that and usually its only open to licensed interior designers and industry professionals. The Chicago Mart is nice but that's not really what Im talking about.

Im more referring to something more like this(LA)...$1 a yard for everything from fine silks to linen to lace etc.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 08-17-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,819,160 times
Quote:
You think 2 Saks', 4 Nordstroms, 4 Neimans, and 1 Barneys within 100 miles are surpluses? I don't think so...

Within 20 miles of me, I have 7 Neimans, 11 Nordstroms, 12 Saks's, and 1 Barneys (the main store), 11 Bloomingdales.

LOL and someone in Dallas is saying arrogantly, "who needs that store"??? You would think someone from LA or NY would say something like that. Please...
Lol. Of course it's not a surplus compared to NYC metro (only you would be silly enough to think that's what I was saying), but compared to other cities Dallas' size it is.

But your post was proof that you are here to start trouble because no one was even talking about New York and here you go bringing it up again.

And FYI, I'm not a Dallasite.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,830,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
But your post was proof that you are here to start trouble because no one was even talking about New York and here you go bringing it up again.

No, I'm here to prove people wrong if they're wrong.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,819,160 times
Quote:
No, I'm here to prove people wrong if they're wrong.
And just what is it I'm wrong about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City