U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM

1,052 posts, read 857,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, New York City is the largest and most important city in America.
Correction, DC is the most important city in America. It's the base of our national government and where our lawmakers make the very laws that affect our everyday lives. Just thought I'd bring that up. Oh, I still think NYC is a great city and probably the greatest city in America, and probably the entire world for that matter! Me personally, I don't think any city is overrated or underrated, it's all in what you like, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-17-2009, 01:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,635 times
Phoenix (and probably Las Vegas) is highly overrated. People think its some kind of almost 'utopia' where they will enjoy the sunshine and 'good' weather (despite the tripple digits for 5 months at a time), and that their lives will be fulfilled. This is merely an illusion. You can enjoy your life no matter where you live. The truth is the weather is only good between DEC and APR, the crime is very high, the pollution is bad, the schools are AWFUL, there are hardly any good jobs anywhere, its foreclosure central, housing values are way overpriced and Phoenix barely ranked in the top 100 best places to raise a family (compared to midsize or small Midwest markets that ranked among the best). Phoenix is highly overrated and will easily disappoint if you set your expectations too high. I'm living proof. What would you expect for a dry, lifeless desert?

Unread 09-17-2009, 01:07 PM

1,052 posts, read 857,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
To answer the original question I think that Charlotte is the most overrated city on this forum. I just came back from Charlotte a couple weeks ago to visit a friend. I went to a Carolina Panthers exhibition game, experienced the nightlife, drove around, ate at restaurants, played tourist etc. Charlotte is a small city that is heartless, sprawled for miles, has awful transit and still has the deep south culture. But, according to the people on this site it is the best place in the world
What do you mean when you say deep south culture, could you please elaborate? And also what do you mean that Charlotte is heartless, are you saying that Charlotte has a cowardly lion complex or something?

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM

6,147 posts, read 6,732,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Correction, DC is the most important city in America. It's the base of our national government and where our lawmakers make the very laws that affect our everyday lives. Just thought I'd bring that up. Oh, I still think NYC is a great city and probably the greatest city in America, and probably the entire world for that matter! Me personally, I don't think any city is overrated or underrated, it's all in what you like, but that's just me.
That's arguable. Yes, New York abides by the rules made in Washington DC...but Washington DC creates, modifies, and abolishes rules in order to appease the crowds in New York.

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:34 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,361,865 times
DC is most important politically.

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM

275 posts, read 341,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr
That's arguable. Yes, New York abides by the rules made in Washington DC...but Washington DC creates, modifies, and abolishes rules in order to appease the crowds in New York.
tmac9wr is right. NYC is clearly the most powerful/influential US city. It's influence is felt all across the country and the world in so many sectors (arts, fashion, culture, finance, entertainment, media..etc) beyond just politics.
And the GaWC agrees:
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People mention how DC flexed its muscle in NYC during the Wall Street bailouts.. I look at it differently:

More than anything else, the Wall Street bailouts (instead of showing how powerful DC is) plainly illustrated just how much this nation (and Washington) is reliant on NYC and does what the Big Apple desires.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-17-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,662,159 times
Of course, DC is the most important place in the country. Federal laws trump state laws. The White House, Senate, House, is more more important than ANY single state's.

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:53 PM

^ That only shows that DC is the most important POLITICALLY. There is a whole spectrum of power, out of which politics is just one portion.

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:58 PM

6,147 posts, read 6,732,944 times
Exactly. The Federal Government bends for nobody but Wall St and Oil cartels. You could argue the two most important cities for the United States are New York City and Riyadh.

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM

Yep. The true kings in this country are the big bankers, cartels, and moneymen... NOT the politicians. But, anyways, sorry for the derailment. Back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City