Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
Underrated:

Pittsburgh: Beautiful city and has done a wonderful job of fixing it up. Hopefully this G summit will bring some more publicity to it.

Boston: So historic, NYC sucks up all the publicity for the east coast. I wish Boston was #1 instead.

St. Louis: Again a historic beautiful city, and has done a lot of work, like Pittsburgh to improve its downtown core, and bring in tourism and jobs. It also one beast of a metro area, that would rival DC or Houston spreading far into the interior of Missouri and Illinois. If the county would ever merge again with the city STL would be in the top 10 in the nation. Severely underrated, (needs a few new skyscrapers in my opinion).

Overrated:

Phoenix: For some reason, I have no idea what the hype is about this city. It's too hot, and it looks overcrowded. Why do people keep moving here? I've been to Phoenix, and it was boring.

Las Vegas: Been there, lived there, done that, and it's not all the cool. A bunch of snobs live in the burbs (Including my family), and the strip is one big billboard mess. A natural Rule of thumb for people who live in Vegas is avoid the strip unless you ABSOLUTELY have to go there.

New York: I find it scary we really so much on this ONE city for our financial means, but other than that the city is cool.

Cities with the right amount of attention:

New Orleans: This city was beautiful and still is. Im lucky I got to visit it before the hurricane

Chicago: Chicago with all of it's madness is a necessary evil, if only they would distribute funds evenly throughout the state.

Los Angeles: Another necessary evil, it is a cultural and media hub, and gets the proper amount of attention.

Seattle: I almost put this city in the list of underrated cities, This is a beautiful place and off the beaten trail.

Miami: Miami is a great vacation spot and in my opinion is a great asset to the country.

Atlanta: This city is on the rise. Very proud

Washington DC: For obvious reasons.

Every city in the nation is what makes the US unlike any other country, with diverse climates, people, and ways of life. There really is no other country in the world with such a broad diversity in my opinion. There are some places that are a little tacky (Like Vegas), but even Vegas has it's own special flare.
LOL. This isn't Flagstaff we're talking about. Seattle is extremely well known, what do you mean by 'off the beaten track'? Geographically isolated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
Overrated: San Francisco. Cool but not THAT cool, I know many people who are like "OMG I have to move to San Francisco ASAP, it's like the coolest place to ever have existed."

Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Overrated: San Francisco. Cool but not THAT cool, I know many people who are like "OMG I have to move to San Francisco ASAP, it's like the coolest place to ever have existed."

^^ yeah, i never understood that. great city and all. but for east coasters, i never understood the appeal aside from the cali/west coastness. its an amazing city and all, but the hype on this board is interesting. you'd think it was the west coast NYC, which it isn't

Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 PM

226 posts, read 645,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
LOL. This isn't Flagstaff we're talking about. Seattle is extremely well known, what do you mean by 'off the beaten track'? Geographically isolated?
geographically isolated is exactly what I meant. I don't think I could have made myself any clearer without putting it into those exact terms. I love Seattle, I just wish it got as much attention as say LA and SF.

To everyone else, get over it.
Those were just my opinions, give me a break, I love how people pick apart these posts like they are messages from God descending down and telling them how to live their lives.

Yes Phoenix is overrated in my opinion, and yes Boston is underrated in my opinion. Boston is hardly ever talked about anymore. and im not talking about on this thread etiher, I mean in media/cultural/ and geographical terms compared to New York say for instance. Yes NYC has alot of history and bla bla bla. but come on, it's an overrated overpopulated cluster$#@! of a city. Get rid of a few hundred thousand residents, quit trying to be best at everything and succeeding because of sheer manpower, and then Ill change my mind.

My main point is as underrated cities. ST.LOUIS and PITTSBURGH really do fit the bill in my opinion. They really don't get the attention they deserve. Boston ok, maybe I should change it to Cincinnati (Which is also an underrated city in my opinion) would that make you happy? lol

Last edited by bhj867; 09-23-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
, I mean in media/cultural/ and geographical terms compared to New York say for instance. Yes NYC has alot of history and bla bla bla. but come on, it's an overrated overpopulated cluster$#@! of a city. Get rid of a few hundred thousand residents, quit trying to be best at everything and succeeding because of sheer manpower, and then Ill change my mind.
When you can come up with something worth arguing then we can have a reasonable discussion.

Do some reading or research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyc

Old 09-24-2009, 02:16 PM

226 posts, read 645,886 times
That's your problem you want to argue.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
maybe I should change it to Cincinnati (Which is also an underrated city in my opinion) would that make you happy? lol

YouTube - WKRP In Cincinnati Theme

Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
That's your problem you want to argue.
Who said argue? I said have a discussion. This thread is in the city vs city thread for a reason.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 59,919 times
NYC and LA

Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,954 times
Boston's underrated. So is Portland, Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City