U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 3,204,926 times
Reputation: 543

Advertisements

Overrated- LA

Underrated- Cleveland (also Dayton, but less so since our economy's shot now)

EDIT- Forgot to include Detroit. Really a great city and region once you get past the stigma attached to it.

Last edited by Daytonnatian; 08-16-2009 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
3,960 posts, read 6,633,955 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
When people talk about Philly they just praise its history. They make it look as if because of its history, it has excuses to be gritty and rundown. I don't buy that. It is overrated for me.
Does Philadelphia have grit and more than its fair share of dilapidated infrastructure? Absolutely. Does that knock it down a couple of notches when it comes to determining which cities are the most infrastructurally efficient? Of course.

However, it also has tons more character and tradition (not to mention a multi-modal public transportation system) on one of its blocks than the vast majority of the "underrated" cities you've listed. I honestly don't mean that in a snobby way, but the "newer is better" mantra is really not meant for everyone. The truth is that a lot of comparatively younger cities are seriously lacking in the social mores department which is at the fundamental root of forming a sense of community.

The social vibe of a city that Rachael84 describes that is so pervasive in Philly often more than makes up for any amount of grit or blight that a city may possess.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-16-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,944 posts, read 4,163,848 times
Reputation: 1756
Overrated: Charlotte, Austin, Miami, Orlando, Columbus, Raleigh, and Phoenix.

Underrated: Philly, Providence, Richmond, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 10:21 PM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,298,604 times
Reputation: 610
I hear what you say from lots of other people. Philly has history. Philly has character. Everybody knows that. I also hear lots of people say it is underrated. That's why it is overrated to me. I only hear good things about Philly but when I get there, these things don't necessarily get through to me. I think that falls right into the definition of being overrated.

Some of the cities I listed as "underrated", such as Dallas and Atlanta, I hear so many people complaining about how they are sprawled and all, and Atlanta being dangerous, but I actually had good time there. I enjoyed what they can offer and they look OK to me. I actually rode MARTA Atlanta and found it to be a good system. Before I decided to visit there, I don't even know it has a rapid transit system and people around me act as if it doesn't. And that falls into the definition of being "underrated".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Does Philadelphia have grit and more than its fair share of dilapidated infrastructure? Absolutely. Does that knock it down a couple of notches when it comes to determining which cities are the most infrastructurally efficient? Of course.

However, it also has tons more character and tradition (not to mention a multi-modal public transportation system) on one of its blocks than the vast majority of the "underrated" cities you've listed. I honestly don't mean that in a snobby way, but the "newer is better" mantra is really not meant for everyone. The truth is that a lot of comparatively younger cities are seriously lacking in the social mores department which is at the fundamental root of forming a sense of community.

The social vibe of a city that Rachael84 describes that is so pervasive in Philly often more than makes up for any amount of grit or blight that a city may possess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
3,960 posts, read 6,633,955 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I hear what you say from lots of other people. Philly has history. Philly has character. Everybody knows that. I also hear lots of people say it is underrated. That's why it is overrated to me. I only hear good things about Philly but when I get there, these things don't necessarily get through to me. I think that falls right into the definition of being overrated.

Some of the cities I listed as "underrated", such as Dallas and Atlanta, I hear so many people complaining about how they are sprawled and all, and Atlanta being dangerous, but I actually had good time there. I enjoyed what they can offer and they look OK to me. I actually rode MARTA Atlanta and found it to be a good system. Before I decided to visit there, I don't even know it has a rapid transit system and people around me act as if it doesn't. And that falls into the definition of being "underrated".
Fair enough. To each their own; I simply wanted to elaborate on the discussion of why each person would consider a city "overrated" or "underrated" based on different criteria and expectations. Your anecdote doesn't appear to be an exception to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,095,881 times
Reputation: 2774
You have one part that is strip malls, high crime,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
that will spill over into the better areas. Do they build walls to prevent it?

Nope, I have never been to Orlando, or anyplace. Maybe I never even set foot out of New York City either. I am 20 years old too.
No, why? Do they build walls anywhere to prevent it? New York, perhaps? Maybe Naples? What a ridiculous response to a ridiculous blanket statement.

Blind hatred of an entire State and untrue, sweeping generalizations are going to be challenged. Everything you have ever stated about Orlando is ample proof of the fact that you have never seen anything outside the tourist zone. Why is it so hard for you to admit it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 PM
 
389 posts, read 737,107 times
Reputation: 131
new york city is definitely overrated -- I love how new yorkers who detest tourists are touting tourist spots in NYC's defense. NYC is definitely overrated. Not that it isn't a great city, because it is, it just happens to be overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM
 
30 posts, read 50,283 times
Reputation: 24
These threads are kinda stupid...everyone is going to see things differently and have a different opinion, so why bother?

And really, how is a place overrated or underrated? People say a lot of the major cities are overrated, but why? Just because lots of TV shows are set there? Because they come to mind as tourist places? I don't get the hate either...and I'm not from a major city, just little ol Cincinnati.

I happen to love NYC...only visited once for 5 days, but loved it. How was it overrated? It's full of awesomeness, for lack of a better word...I was obviously a full blown tourist, and I received no ill will towards me or my GF, people were friendly as hell. These guys who ran the bike tour we went on were about as nice and welcoming as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 02:02 PM
 
288 posts, read 429,552 times
Reputation: 286
Overrated: Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, Columbus

Underrated: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM
 
479 posts, read 1,198,857 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsfleelee View Post
These threads are kinda stupid...everyone is going to see things differently and have a different opinion, so why bother?

And really, how is a place overrated or underrated? People say a lot of the major cities are overrated, but why? Just because lots of TV shows are set there? Because they come to mind as tourist places? I don't get the hate either...and I'm not from a major city, just little ol Cincinnati.

I happen to love NYC...only visited once for 5 days, but loved it. How was it overrated? It's full of awesomeness, for lack of a better word...I was obviously a full blown tourist, and I received no ill will towards me or my GF, people were friendly as hell. These guys who ran the bike tour we went on were about as nice and welcoming as you can get.
I totally agree. These people who are hating NYC are plain jealous of how awesome that city is! It is not overrated, it is one of the best in the world! Can't wait to visit NYC again.

Last edited by Mekitor; 08-17-2009 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top