Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 02:24 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
While I don't disagree, but I do think that if NYC was in anyother country than USA it wouldn't be anything to drive home about. NYC is completely different than anyother USA city with it's size, borroughs, and islands, but on an International scale I think it gets overshadowed by Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, and Paris.
If NYC was in another country, its star would be alot brighter. Theres more competition in the US. New york has to share with los angelos,chicago,boston,dc,philly,san fransico and all the other cities. London,paris dont have too

And how does nyc get overshadowed anyway. Despite it having immense competition both nationally and internationally, its often still considered number 1 in the world by experts?

I have not read a true concrete reason how nyc is overrated. NYC never said it was squeaky clean or didnt have rude people.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
If NYC was in another country, its star would be alot brighter. Theres more competition in the US. New york has to share with los angelos,chicago,boston,dc,philly,san fransico and all the other cities. London,paris dont have too

And how does nyc get overshadowed anyway. Despite it having immense competition both nationally and internationally, its often still considered number 1 in the world by experts?

I have not read a true concrete reason how nyc is overrated. NYC never said it was squeaky clean or didnt have rude people.lol
I like your first paragraph KONY. You are actually recognizing that there are a number of great cities in this country of ours.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM

10,221 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Some cities I think are underrated (large cities only):

Richmond, VA
Fort Worth, TX
New Orleans
Greensboro, NC

Overrated:

Las Vegas - its very average outside the Strip, not that its a bad city I like it
New York
Washington, D.C.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
nyc is the michael jordan of world cities. It is the greatest. Its a skyscraper city with the culture and hippness of a london or a tokyo. It has the lights, it has the historic neighborhoods, it has the media might, like i said earlier it has the famous scrapers(take note that every city is newyorkifying itself with that)it has the world class infrastructure,it has the famous locals, it has unequalled enerygy and vibrancy. Its the perfect combination of everything.
KONY, I really like your post, and everything you said is quite true.

The only thing I wanted to correct was the "Newyorkifying" part. The term they made when Miami started a large skyscraper boom mid last decade was Manhattanization, the term to start building an immense amount of buildings for the core region of the city, or any region of the city with a developing large skyline.

Haha, I guess Chicago is the Larry Bird of the skyscraper world, a pioneer for skyscrapers (birth place for skyscrapers) yet still historically famous, but not being able to out do Micheal Jordon (NYC). It's cool, being 2nd is a honorable position as well, because it's in the top 3 in the world, with Hong Kong and New York City! And top 2 according to overall city height.

Manhattanization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
I love NY as much as the next person and it is in class all by itself....

But you cannot deny that after the "AWE" has worn off (takes about 2-3 years of living here) you have a totally new perspective on NY than you did as a NOOB to the city....

The Real NY is what makes or breaks you not the Disneyland effect you get as a noob! What you see on TV or as a tourist is not even half of what the REAL NY is about....Trust me is NOT ALL DISNEYLAND in the slightest.

So in that case I do think NYC is overrated...So many people only fawn over its positives and try to dismiss its negatives.

Positive for me:

-Diversity
-Openness
-Convenience
-Cultural
-Fashion
-24hr-ness
-Public Transit

Negatives (any objective person would agree)

- Government is corrupt as all hell here State and City
- Insanely high cost of living (impossible to live decent making under 60k)
- CROWDED - Toooo Crowded in parts of the city mainly in and around the Squares (Times, Harold and Union)
- No sense of community at all...NYC is a very much "Every man for himself" type city.
- You either Rich or your Poor in this city, NO MIDDLE CLASS at ALL!
- Taxes are insane
- Parts of the city can be very pretentious and fake (NOT on LA's level) but still it can waining on your sanity if you're annoyed by these types of personalities.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 04-18-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
While I don't disagree, but I do think that if NYC was in anyother country than USA it wouldn't be anything to drive home about. NYC is completely different than anyother USA city with it's size, borroughs, and islands, but on an International scale I think it gets overshadowed by Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, and Paris.
I think New York is basically in the same league as all those cities. And it's the only U.S. city that is.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I love NY as much as the next person and it is in class all by itself....

But you cannot deny that after the "AWE" has worn off (takes about 2-3 years of living here) you have a totally new perspective on NY than you did as a NOOB to the city....

The Real NY is what makes or breaks you not the Disneyland effect you get as a noob! What you see on TV or as a tourist is not even half of what the REAL NY is about....Trust me is NOT ALL DISNEYLAND in the slightest.

So in that case I do think NYC is overrated...So many people only fawn over its positives and try to dismiss its negatives.

Positive for me:

-Diversity
-Openness
-Convenience
-Cultural
-Fashion
-24hr-ness
-Public Transit

Negatives (any objective person would agree)

- Government is corrupt as all hell here State and City
- Insanely high cost of living (impossible to live decent making under 60k)
- CROWDED - Toooo Crowded in parts of the city mainly in and around the Squares (Times, Harold and Union)
- No sense of community at all...NYC is a very much "Every man for himself" type city.
- You either Rich or your Poor in this city, NO MIDDLE CLASS at ALL
!
- Taxes are insane
- Parts of the city can be very pretentious and fake (NOT on LA's level) but still it can waining on your sanity if you're annoyed by these types of people.

I dont know what its like to be a "noob" in the city as i am a native. But i dont know how someone can come to new york and think living here would be like disneyland, giving nycs harsh and unforgiving reputation.

And alot of those negatives pertain to manhattan only. Nyc is five boroughs. And your assumption that theres no middle class is ridiculous

Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
I dont know what its like to be a "noob" in the city as i am a native. But i dont know how someone can come to new york and think living here would be like disneyland, giving nycs harsh and unforgiving reputation.

And alot of those negatives pertain to manhattan only. Nyc is five boroughs. And your assumption that theres no middle class is ridiculous
Well if you dont know that people come here with the idea they can live out their dreams like they see it on TV...Thinking they can live life like

Carrie Bradshaw or Monica, Ross, Rachel, Chandler, Phoebe and Joey..while working at Starbucks...Seem like you don't know you're city very much at all....Its pretty much the #1 reason 20's something people from small town america are dying to come here and "Live the NYC Life"

No the negative pertain to the city as whole...I know the boroughs too....and it MOST DEFINANTLY applies to them as well....You tell me if there "this middle class in NY" how much does a Middle Class person earn in NYC? where do they live???

Before you tell me somewhere like

Forest Hills or Middle Village -QNS or Bay Ridge BK

Keep in mind while those area are not on Manhattan's level weathly and not East NY or Jamaica type poor areas....They're still area made up of mostly Paycheck2Paycheck people on a daily grind to servive in this city.

-They don't own property
-Rides the subway everywhere
-most cannot afford a family and are single.
-make less than 80k a year....
-And still a whole lot of Roommating going on...

This is considered "Poor" in this city...Sorry to tell you that....

NYC's Middle class lives in Jersey, LI or CT all of which are not NYC.

Again you native of NY..so i guess it's hard to hear negatives of your city...like I said I love NY lived here for almost 15 years and can objectively weigh its positives vs its negatives...

but cheerleaders of NY on here on CD....put too much stock in its positives and try to gloss over the negatives....that not fair to do.

I'll give you another point of people following what they see on TV...My Hometown of Pittsburgh

was never this place the LGBT community ever consider to be this "Gay mecca" and they could live life like it was SF or Miami....sure Pittsburgh wasn't homophobic in the slightest, it just was never a big deal in that city, most of the Gays in Pittsburgh were native to the city.

then the Quee as Folk days came and it was set in Pittsburgh - well the LGBTs must of really though Liberty Ave was the Gay Disneyland (and its NOTHING like what QAF portaited) because they started popping up all over the place..(Dont get me wrong I love the LGBT community) and you knew it was more than just the native Pittsburgh LGBT because they were everywhere and Pittsburgh population of LGBT was not that big. Now Pittsburgh has one of the largest Pride days celebrations...Gays are all over the burgh and now have local media there, the city is very much different in the LGBT's eyes because of what that one show (that really wasn't even filmed in Pittsburgh it was Toronto) portaited Pittsburgh as.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 04-18-2010 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 04:04 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,427 times
Quote:

Carrie Bradshaw or Monica, Ross, Rachel, Chandler, Phoebe and Joey..while working at Starbucks...Seem like you don't know you're city very much at all....Its pretty much the #1 reason 20's something people from small town america are dying to come here and "Live the NYC Life"
What can I say, he's got some good points. I'm not trying to get down on the outer boroughs, as I'm currently considering them for a near future move, but many people from outside of NYC are not concerned with the outer boroughs. They're interested in Manhattan, because that's what they see on TV--the media is Manhattan-centric. A lot of people see the lifestyles these people lead and see it normalized on TV, without realizing that the lives these people live is not the life all New Yorkers live.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Well if you dont know that people come here with the idea they can live out their dreams like they see it on TV...Thinking they can live life like

No the negative pertain to the city as whole...I know the boroughs too....and it MOST DEFINANTLY applies to them as well....You tell me if there "this middle class in NY" how much does a Middle Class person earn in NYC? where do they live???

Before you tell me somewhere like

Forest Hills or Middle Village -QNS or Bay Ridge BK

Keep in mind while those area are not on Manhattan's level weathly and not East NY or Jamaica type poor areas....They're still area made up of mostly Paycheck2Paycheck people on a daily grind to servive in this city.

-They don't own property
-Rides the subway everywhere
-most cannot afford a family and are single.
-make less than 80k a year....
-And still a whole lot of Roommating going on...

This is considered "Poor" in this city...Sorry to tell you that....

NYC's Middle class lives in Jersey, LI or CT all of which are not NYC.

Again you native of NY..so i guess it's hard to hear negatives of your city...like I said I love NY lived here for almost 15 years and can objectively weigh its positives vs its negatives...

but cheerleaders of NY on here on CD....put too much stock in its positives and try to gloss over the negatives....that not fair to do.

This whole thing your yapping about sounds ridiculous.

I know my city, i lived here all my life. I dont know who the heck is carrie bradshaw but if anybody thought they cold live the high life while working at starbucks, is an idiot. Teenagers work at starbucks. That goes for any where, y someone would believe they could make it off a high school job living the high life?

A sense of community, less hustle and bustle, Qol etc(all your negatives) can be discounted and can be found all over the city. Anyone that knows new york knows that a sense of community can be extremely strong in alot of areas. EXTREMELY. I know this firsthand

Nycs middleclass lives in nyc. Why are you mentioning other states. New york is a city of 8.3 million people alone, theres no need to mention states that have nothing to do with it. Im middle class and so are the ppl i know. To say there are only the rich and the poor sounds extremely naive

You dont know new york. You came here expecting to live a fantasy life with no dough. What kind of s..t is that. I wouldnt go Anchorage Alaska with that mentality.

This goes to show you, most who think of nyc as overrated are extremey isguided and unrealistic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City