U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 PM

10,171 posts, read 11,169,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
As for Detroit being underrated, I'll explain...

It's not all like this:

In fact, much of it is transforming, despite what the media continually pounds into peoples' heads into this:

That's the same neighborhood, in 2009.

Boston-Edison, famous for never going down in the first place:

Also, in suburbs like the GPs, Birmingham, Bloomfield, Utica, Ann Arbor (not a suburb but close to the D and a great city nonetheless), Royal Oak, Berkley, and other Oakland/Washtenaw county areas, you can be a part of the Detroit metro and pay Detroit prices (50-100k for a large home in a nice neighborhood) and still have the safety, nightlife, etc. of a much larger city, as many of Detroit's famous cultural and entertainment entities have either branched into the burbs or relocated there entirely.

...but it's making progress, especially with David Bing in office. The man is going to help save the city. Finally a transition from Kwame to what I'd consider to be one of the least corrupt public officials in a large city's office.

Now we just gotta kick out ol' Jen.

It'll come back. It may be 5, 10, even 15+ years, but it'll achieve a respectable status again someday. 'Till then I love it. It won't rise to its original greatness but that's because an elem. school dropout can't make 30+$/hr (adjusted) these days.

My explanation for NYC being overrated? [Before my Kentucky days] I grew up riding the Metra, eating real pizza and hot dogs, watching the Cubbies and interacting with people who aren't living the Friends dream :P
Detroit is possibly the most underrated city in the country and the most forgotten big city.
I've seen people leave Detroit out in so many categories before that it deserves to be in, and more than enough qualifies for.
It's skyline is one of the most unique and largest in the country, but people overlook that.
My grandfather and grandmother live in suburban Detroit, they love it there, the city has everything a person could want without them ever having to leave it.

It's a very clean city, and I really do feel that one day it'll revitalize itself into a major incorporated city again. What it was in 1950 is the past now, but what it can be in the future is up to Detroit, and it seems to be pushing towards a very bright future.

Agreed, the media destroys reputations, especially for those that don't deserve it. The media is a big bully at the end of the block, that picks on those that are off guard and helpless, and over glorifies those that are already over magnified to begin with. Detroit, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Phoenix, are some cities that continuously get criticism from the media altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,120,373 times
Sadly I have to spread some rep around :P I'm glad somebody agrees! For everyone who missed it, see page 51 for some eye openers to America's "lost" city.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM

73 posts, read 110,855 times
Detroit is a godforsaken cesspool.

You can find plenty of mansions and "normal" looking areas in Mumbai, but that doesn't change the fact that 90% of that city is a slum. You can even find mansions and "normal" looking areas in the poor hellholes like Somalia.

Let the free market speak for itself. The free market (and the "favorite city" polls and the tourist counts which peg NYC as the most visited city in the USA) says New York City is not overrated. It is glorified in the media for a reason -- it is glorious. We (the free market included), unfortunately, can not say the same thing about Detroit.

Being jealous of something does not make it overrated. Sorry.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 PM

I lol'd.

Get over yourself.

Not everybody wants to live in a crowded studio apartment for 2 grand per month and go out drinking and have sex with tourists while holding down an "artsy" and "cool" job at a "hip" café. New York City isn't for everyone.

Every single one of your domestic taxi-cabs relied on Detroit for engineering and in many cases production. Many of the plastics, garments, etc. you may wear, have likely come from the city as well.

It powered America through two World Wars and several smaller ones, and was at one time larger than Houston and many other massive cities of today.

You've obviously never been there though, so I wouldn't expect you to know anything.

I'm glad my grand city is avoided by pricks like you, tourists, yuppies, etc. who will judge a book by its cover.

Have you no soul?

What was I even expecting?

Also, remember, not so long ago NYC faced much larger problems and was a godforsaken hell hole as well

If tourism matters, then Paris, France is the greatest city... NYC SUCKS DUDE.

LOL DON'T YOU KNOW? TOURIST SURVEYS AND THE AMOUNT OF RICH TRAVELERS THAT COME AND LOOK AT STUFF ON OUR LAND MAKES OUR CITY BETTER!

Ridiculous attitude. You couldn't pay me to live in NYC, half of you don't know what an honest day's work is, while the other half is too caught up living the "NYC dream" which is basically an opportunity for rich trust fund babies to never grow up. I don't wanna party or slum around with a bunch of yuppies. I've got better things to do with my time.

http://www.vacationideas.me/travel-t...-in-the-world/

According to your logic and these figures, your city is inferior to a major heroin, opiate, cocaine and child/transsexual sex hub.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 PM

4,159 posts, read 3,578,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko. View Post
Detroit is a cesspool.

You can find plenty of mansions and "normal" looking areas in Mumbai, but that doesn't change the fact that 90% of that city is a slum. You can even find mansions and "normal" looking areas in the poor hellholes like Somalia.

Let the free market speak for itself. The free market (and the "favorite city" polls and the tourist counts which peg NYC as the most visited city in the USA) says New York City is not overrated. It is glorified in the media for a reason -- it is glorious. We, unfortunately, can not say the same thing about Detroit.

You lost me when you claimed that tourists' opinions about a city indicate anything about how good it is to live or work in. And the fact that you're able to have a pompous attitude about your city and sweep away any criticism of it as mere jealousy doesn't make it glorious.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 PM

It's that exact attitude that makes me unable to stand New Yorkers.

It's not common throughout the entire city, Staten Island, Long Island, some areas of Brooklyn, etc. are home to some fairly modest people... but that Manhattan "I poop ice cream because I live on an overcrowded island and don't own a car" attitude is exactly the reason I could never live there. There'd be a few thousand black eyes and lost teeth in the first week alone.

I admit Detroit isn't perfect, neither is Chicago, neither is Lexington... In fact, they're all quite flawed. The soul lies underneath the skin though.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 PM

10,171 posts, read 11,169,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko. View Post
Detroit is a godforsaken cesspool.

Let the free market speak for itself. The free market (and the "favorite city" polls and the tourist counts which peg NYC as the most visited city in the USA) says New York City is not overrated. It is glorified in the media for a reason -- it is glorious. We (the free market included), unfortunately, can not say the same thing about Detroit.

If your city really is as good as you say it is, then why are you even comparing it to Detroit?

There was absolutely no need for your opinions on Detroit, you claim that surveys and polls place NYC higher, if it's true, then why so defensive?
Someone who knows what their city is, never talks trash about another person's city, because they don't have to. They know better, but this post of yours just shows a major inferiority complex.

I've seen so many of you having problems with people saying your city is overrated, you fail to realize that overrating and underrating a city are solely based off of personal opinion. Displaying an aggressive defense and belittling another person's city doesn't change their opinion.

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-19-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 AM

I'm guilty of it too, but only jokingly and only about the pizza. I'm a big pizza fan, if it doesn't show :P

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM

3,012 posts, read 4,919,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I lol'd.

Not everybody wants to live in a crowded studio apartment for 2 grand per month and go out drinking and have sex with tourists while holding down an "artsy" and "cool" job at a "hip" café.

Every single one of your domestic taxi-cabs relied on Detroit for engineering and in many cases production.
I DRIVE A MAXIMA

half of you don't know what an honest day's work is, while the other half is too caught up living the "NYC dream" which is basically an opportunity for rich trust fund babies to never grow up. I don't wanna party or slum around with a bunch of yuppies. I've got better things to do with my time.

And this my friends is where newyork detractors fail. Through their post they show that they know nothing of the real new york. And im talking all five boroughs, in this case manhattan specifically. Many of you suffer from a case of watching to many movies/sitcoms. If you truly believe the bolded

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 AM

5,684 posts, read 7,828,655 times
I swear all this NYC cheerleading that goes on here...get to be a bit much....

KONY - you maybe from NY..but you're proving over and over you know nothing about your own city...or either you do and are trying to play dumb about its downfalls like they dont exists....

NY a great city - Love it here otherwise I wouldn't have made it here for 15 years...(an accomplishment most NYC Cheerleaders will never achieve because the city is nothing like their Fantasies) but the city does have problems just like every other metro...to say NY is without serious social problems is irresponsible and naive to say the least.

Now do you think you can put up a valid argument or are you going to just keep spewing "RAW RAW RAW" with your NYC pom pom's in response to every Post that isn't a 100% endorsement of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City