Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 AM

320 posts, read 578,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Southern hospitality is a farce, I lived there many years and find the people in the Midwest to be much more friendly. People retire to the South mainly because of the weather and it's cheap for now. I guess we can give Mother Nature credit for not making the South cold?

No. It's not just old people retiring/moving down south. These young folk are still coming down in droves too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:30 AM

320 posts, read 578,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
It would seem you need to look at crime figures for these two metro areas...

This is the kind of ridiculous nonsense that is so common on here; people pick a random thing that is "positive" for their side and then they think they won no matter how irrelevant it may be to the question for an individual. The question in the poll is which region would you rather live in, so telling me that more old people would rather die in the South means nothing to my personal decision (might even be a negative actually...) on where I'd rather live. Not sure why so many posters in this thread are so butt hurt that some random person prefers a region different than theirs (and this is some how impossible for them to comprehend...)
People on C-D from down South don't have a problem with other people loving their region more. It just gets annoying hearing about how much they love the Midwest but moved down South.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I love the American South and have lived in every southern state except for Mississippi and Florida (and Florida doesn't count - LOL!). I've also lived in the Midwest (Ohio), California, and the MidAtlantic region (Maryland). I like Ohio - I think it's beautiful, and I also really like the MidAtlantic region, but the South is my all time favorite.

My very favorite southern states are Texas and Virginia, closely followed by Georgia and North Carolina. Each of those states, but especially the first two, have very distinct personalities. I love the landscape and history of Virginia, and the fact that it has mountains AND a beautiful coastline, gorgeous rivers, and a close proximity to some huge metro areas as well.

Speaking of metro areas, it's hard to beat Texas in that area - especially when you combine metro amenities with a low cost of living. And there's just something about Texas...the friendly and yet independent strength of the people is very striking. They're a different breed altogether. And another thing that's great about Texas people is how welcoming they are. I mean, I am not a native but I've lived here for twenty years. Within just a few years of embracing this state (I hated it for the first two years I lived here, but that's another story), by golly, I was a Texan - and still am.

I love the idiosyncrasies of the South as well. It's quirkier than other regions of the country, and that's always interesting. In a few weeks my husband and I are taking a little trip down to New Orleans, my birthplace and the city that really tugs at my heart. There's simply no other city like it on earth. It's a cornucopia of sensations, delights, and experiences! The same can be said for San Antonio, and Savannah, and Charleston. The mix of cultures, cuisines, and sultry weather can be addictive to some people.

The heat has never bothered me. I guess I'm just used to it. Down here, we have creative ways to deal with it, as well as this really cool invention called AIR CONDITIONING. In the summer, the focus is water sports in many places. The South enjoys a huge coastline (as well as many lakes and rivers), and the abundance of water and shoreline is another reason why so many people love the Southern culture.

And don't even get me started on southern foods...Oh, my gosh...heaven...from soul food to Tex Mex to jambalaya...we got it goin' on...

Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
People on C-D from down South don't have a problem with other people loving their region more. It just gets annoying hearing about how much they love the Midwest but moved down South.
Some people in this thread def seem to have a problem with it, that being said I agree if someone moves somewhere and doesn't try to make the best out of it and just complains about how much better their home is or how much more they like it, then that is pretty sad. That being said lots of people move or have to move to an area that may not be their favourite, especially in the current economy. I would imagine most people don't actually live in their dream area, doesn't mean where they live is bad.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Some people in this thread def seem to have a problem with it, that being said I agree if someone moves somewhere and doesn't try to make the best out of it and just complains about how much better their home is or how much more they like it, then that is pretty sad. That being said lots of people move or have to move to an area that may not be their favourite, especially in the current economy. I would imagine most people don't actually live in their dream area, doesn't mean where they live is bad.
I agree, and it took me about two years to even START to like Texas after I moved here. Now I absolutely love it. But if you'd asked me how I felt when I first moved here I would have told you I absolutely hated it.

I am sure I could grow to love just about any region of the US. But the South will always have that emotional pull to me that other regions lack - it's my heritage, my ancestry, where my peeps are from, and where I grew up. I love it and always will.

It's hard to separate emotion from objectivity when it comes to where we live, regardless of the region, the weather, the cost of living, etc. That's why none of these polls ever prove anything to anyone.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAtlanta View Post
Hold up, hold up.... You bashin Atlanta too just because it is not on the coast? Quit the hatin
Huh? Where in his post is he actually bashing Atlanta?

Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And what are you, Pennsylvanian? Neo-Amish?
LOL I think it should've said Neo-Quaker But I kid people.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:31 PM

My pick is the South. If I'm ever interested in relocating from the Mid-Atlantic (Born & Raised DC-Area Marylander), I would definitely like to live in Charlottesville, Virginia or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, North Carolina or Atlanta, Georgia or Houston, Texas, or maybe even Savannah, Georgia.

I'm sure I would like the Midwest whenever I visit. I think I could probably see myself living in Chicago, Cincinnati, or Minneapolis.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:54 PM

314 posts, read 422,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
That stigma must be why so many people continue to retire to the South. How many choose the Midwest? The best deals for retirees are in the South, as is the best weather, cities, atmosphere, friendliest people, etc. etc. Where is that Midwest hospitality?
Speaking as Midwesterner currently residing in the southeast I have to call you out on this one. Of course many retirees relocate to the south as not only are most on a fixed income and the cost of living is cheaper but the pace of life is muchhhh slower. Sorry relocation preferences for retirees doesn't scream mass appeal, especially not for a 20 something looking to start a life and a career. Best weather? uhh no, your summers are brutally hot and humid, and the spring-fall seasons are so short they're nearly non-existent. Midwest hospitality? Sorry southern hospitality is a fake façade, but if you prefer phoniness I guess that's the place to be. Personally I don't respect it one bit.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
Speaking as Midwesterner currently residing in the southeast I have to call you out on this one. Of course many retirees relocate to the south as not only are most on a fixed income and the cost of living is cheaper but the pace of life is muchhhh slower. Sorry relocation preferences for retirees doesn't scream mass appeal, especially not for a 20 something looking to start a life and a career. Best weather? uhh no, your summers are brutally hot and humid, and the spring-fall seasons are so short they're nearly non-existent. Midwest hospitality? Sorry southern hospitality is a fake façade, but if you prefer phoniness I guess that's the place to be. Personally I don't respect it one bit.
You both are wrong. People move to both areas for opportunity. St. Louis, Cleveland, Minny, Omaha, and Chicago are making good improvements, as well as the big 4 in the south, New Orleans, most of NC, Nashville, etc. Our summers and our winters vary drastically, it snows in the south in many states and the summers are just as hot as the rest of the country. You can't sit there and act like the brutal cold in Minny and Chicago aren't just as oppressive as our summers. Southern hospitality is a facade, so is midwestern hospitality. Cities are cities and people will be people either way it goes, despite the region they live in.
You both are wrong and acting like children. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City