Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So not only are there more states, but the sheer size of the South as we're defining it here is easily 2X as large as the Midwest in land area (and nobody in the Midwest is going to throw in the Great Plains). For a more fair comparison, we should be comparing the "North" and the "South", which would be the same two regions, except D.C. and Baltimore would be Northern cities and the Northeast would be lumped in with the North. I doubt anybody wants to take on that battle!
Well even though the south is much larger, it's one region just like the Midwest. I wouldn't have a problem comparing the south and the entire north. Hard to compete with Bos-Wash but I would still probably rather live here in Louisiana. Would love to try out New York though.
Quote:
I repped him....soooooooooooooooo, ta dah!
That's a personal problem.
Quote:
I'd argue that part of Texas is Southern (Houston mainly, maybe Dallas), and the rest is Southwestern (Austin, San Antonio, Laredo, maybe Dallas). Dallas LOOKS much more Southwestern than Southeastern, with its lack of shrubbery.
I didn't argue any of this at all. East Texas and Houston are southern, most Dallasites consider themselves southern as well. I'm not trying to claim the rest of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM

539 posts, read 1,916,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
What region would you prefer to live in? The Midwest or down South?

The Midwest. For the most part, people there understand the concept of staying out of other people's business. Southerners are too damn nosy. Also, they try to impose their religious beliefs on society as a whole. Midwesterners aren't pushy in that regard.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times
Quote:
To that end, some Midwest cities are among the largest gainers in the country, like Columbus, Minneapolis and Indianapolis, which goes against the grain of current trends of "from North to South". Both the Midwest and South are too vast and diverse to be included in most/any all-encompassing truisms, like "the North is losing its black population", or "the South is racist". This country isn't nearly as black & white as it used to be (figuratively and literally!).
Agreed.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It was a simple oversight.You understood what was said but you just wanted to publicly shame someone.You are just getting a dose of your own medicine.
It's not a simple oversight, though. It is constantly misused in the same way that people confuse they're, their and there, or your and you're.

I'm not ashamed for pointing out something that's true.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 PM

afonega1;31817497]
Quote:
Who says you don't?This is the most current data.Why would I use data from the
1940's versus now?That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!
What? I never said anything about using data from any particular decade, I said that using a single data point, in this case 2010, shouldn't be used to try and prove a long-term trend. You were trying to say that 2010's census indicates blacks are abandoning the North, particularly NYC.

Quote:
The vast majprity of blacks are moving South and some to the West.As a region
over the past few dcades,the North and Midwest has not gained as much in black
populations as most Southern cities.
If the vast majority of blacks were moving out of the North and to the South, how can the North have any cities/metros in which those populations grew? And how can 4 of the top 10 fastest-growing be in the North?

Quote:
Their is plenty of documented evidence that shows the migratory patterns of
blacks to the South.

New Great Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I did not assume anything.It was well documented in NYC news papers.Atlanta
is the number one destination for not only blacks from NYC but whites as
well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...pagewanted=all
Wait, you said the vast majority was moving to the South, and yet that link shows that the majority is actually staying in the NYC area. Combined with other regions, the South would be a distant 2nd. I'm also curious why you have chosen to focus on a single city and try to claim it is representative of an entire region. And in a thread about the Midwest vs. the South, why bring up a city in a 3rd region?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 PM

314 posts, read 420,328 times
Quote:
Why would you not count TX?It is in the South.What about Miami?Tampa?Charlotte?In the Midwest you only really have Chicago?Charlotte is bigger than Milwaukee.Oh thats right.You do have Detroit!
Yes and Columbus (Midwest) is bigger than Charlotte, what's your point? "Why would you not count TX?It is in the South" Ok while we're at it lets start a thread called "The entire north vs the southeast", or New England vs the rest of the country, beyond ridiculous...

Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Now do the same analysis for Chicago, Detroit, Gary, Flint, etc. It's not quite as stark.
Or with any Midwest city that actually grew... which is most of them.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,208,509 times
Quote:
Then you are just being stubbornly inaccurate.

What state do you knowis in the North but was a part of the Confederacy?

Oklahoma and West Virginia ARE Southern.What are you talking about?
Have you even been to theses places?
Who actually considers Maryland and Delaware to be Southern states? I'm a native Marylander and I have spent a lot of time in Delaware and I don't know a single person that associates with the South. I still think Ky and Wv are too mixed to be considered southern but, oh well.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Who actually considers Maryland and Delaware to be Southern states?
No one. They aren't.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM

314 posts, read 420,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Amusingly enough the poster who seemed to get you all fired up and you called out as biased is actually the poster who riled up all the Midwesterners in this thread with his posts (starting on page 17) calling them liars and homers. Seems this troll was very successful....
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE PICKED UP ON THIS..The prob is most people on here are overly sensitive and emotional and don't bother to actually read what others are responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City