Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
If you were bored in KC its cuz you were clueless about what there is to do here. Not surprising though, most people FROM KC (at least burbs) are clueless about what there is to do here. So if that was your OH SNAP then you just massively failed.

Like I said i've been guilty of hyping me own city, as most people have... but your not gonna find much difference between those 3 cities as far as things to do. Please point out to me any significant differences it'd be appreciated.
Here's something you can do in Milwaukee and Cleveland that you can't do in Kansas City:

Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 PM

199 posts, read 218,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post

I totally agree with you about Chicago. NYC, LA, Miami, and SF are great cities, but they're not very "American."
wtf isn't "American" about those cities? lol

and lol@ whoever said nyc isn't "unique"... people are crazy on this board. because cities like new york come a dime a dozen.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 PM

505 posts, read 1,379,625 times
I think all the major American cities are unique and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM

886 posts, read 2,211,770 times
Quote:
Denver isn't the only city near the Rocky Mountains, what about Salt Lake City, Santa Fe, Boise, and Phoenix? SLC and Santa Fe strike me as being very unique cities. Santa Fe is the 2nd oldest city in the US. SLC is dominated by the LDS church.

I totally agree with you about Chicago. NYC, LA, Miami, and SF are great cities, but they're not very "American." Chicago still feels distinctly American, while still being a diverse major metropolis.
Like I said I wasn't exactly sure on Denver, mostly listed it cuz of location, and obviously it's not like I'm the end-all decisive person when it comes to the list. When I put it on the list I said mostly because of location. The mountains you see in Santa Fe are not the same type of mountains you see in Denver...

regardless, yeah I should probably not have included it

Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 PM

886 posts, read 2,211,770 times
Quote:
Here's something you can do in Milwaukee and Cleveland that you can't do in Kansas City:

I suppose you mean RIGHT in front of the city? Your right, you can't bust out a sailboat on the river in KC.... you have to drive 15 mins to Smithville Lake... woopty doo.

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/sm/gif/Marinas.jpg (broken link)

As I said... try to find something significant.

Or just move to one of the Lake Front homes:

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/aerialsjackson/IMG_1362_sized.jpg (broken link)

EDIT: Though I will admit, I never saw a pirate ship in the lake LOL.

Thought at the same time, people can ride (or used to be able to not sure if they still have them it was a long time ago I did) steamboats up and down the Missouri river.

Regardless none of those are significant differences.

Last edited by skrizzle; 08-21-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 12:36 PM

433 posts, read 872,481 times
Cities are not boring, people are.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:24 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,009,038 times
Quote:
Denver isn't the only city near the Rocky Mountains, what about Salt Lake City, Santa Fe, Boise, and Phoenix? SLC and Santa Fe strike me as being very unique cities. Santa Fe is the 2nd oldest city in the US. SLC is dominated by the LDS church.

I totally agree with you about Chicago. NYC, LA, Miami, and SF are great cities, but they're not very "American." Chicago still feels distinctly American, while still being a diverse major metropolis.
You do know alot of culture that started in these cities are apart of the American Culture right.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have, and I hardly agree.

New York is NOTHING like London, but I can certainly understand why a New Yorker would attempt to align with London.
Heres one of many things.

Quote:
While New York did do better in certain categories, overall, the two cities have striking similarity, the researchers behind the report said.

"I expected their to be more distinct and dramatic differences, but they really are neck and neck," the president of Urban Land Institute Europe, Middle East, Africa, and India, William Kistler, said. "The bigger concern is that these two cities not rest on their laurels: What happens to the two cities in the next five years will be really crucial."

N.Y. Fares Well Vs. London in a New Study - August 8, 2008 - The New York Sun

or maybe this

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19097

Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Sorry BigCityGuy, but in my opinion the built form of the two could not be more different if they tried. Nothing you could post could possibly change my mind.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:42 PM

199 posts, read 218,314 times
new york city > london
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City