Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
But Boston and Chicago definitely strike me as unique places.
What makes them more different or unique than the rest of America though?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Honestly your list is too long

There are only two "truly unique" American cities:

New York City
New Orleans

I know people will start chiming in with stuff about urbanity, density, diversity, history and other things, but I've been all around the world on every continent and there are no other cities in this country or else where even close to them. You may find places similar in size and cultural scope, but it's mainly superficial.

Now before everyone gets upset, keep in mind that not being "truly unique" does not equal not being important. If you take all the other major economic and cultural cities in America you can very easily match them to other places in this country. For example:

Philly and Boston for their role in the revolution and the industrialization of America.

The sunbelt cities of Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta

The port cities of Baltimore, Charleston, and Savannah (think historical here people before you start a wee-wee contest about populations)

The western costal cities of San Francisco and Seattle

The midwestern cities of Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis

The rustbelt cities.

They all developed along similar patterns and purposes at about the same time even if some were more successful than their counterparts.

Now try doing the same matching game with New Orleans and New York City and watch the epic fail.

Last edited by waronxmas; 08-20-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
so you dont think Santa Fe is unique? there aint another city in the country like it
Your own town of Albuequerque is unique, too. I like it better than Santa Fe. I miss Little Anitas and Los Cuates del Norte. And Blake's lottaburger, and Tommy's green chile burger, even though I prefer "red" with my enchiladas rancheros (with egg, of course).

Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Honestly your list is too long jluke

New York City
New Orleans

I know people will start chiming in with stuff about urbanity, density, diversity, history and other things, but I've been all around the world on every continent and there are no other cities in this country or else where even close to them. You may find places similar in size and cultural scope, but it's mainly superficial.

Now before everyone gets upset, keep in mind that not being "truly unique" does not equal not being important. If you take all the other major economic and cultural cities in America you can very easily match them to other places in this country. For example:

Philly and Boston for their role in the revolution and the industrialization of America.

The port cities of Baltimore, Charleston, and Savannah (think historical here people before you start a wee-wee contest about populations)

The rustbelt cities.

They all developed along similar patterns and purposes at about the same time even if some were more successful than their counterparts.

Now try doing the same matching game with New Orleans and New York City and watch the epic fail.
Wrong person; I didn't make a list lol

Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What makes them more different or unique than the rest of America though?
I didn't say they weren't more unique than the rest of America. I was just challenging your idea that neither were unique.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wrong person; I didn't make a list lol
Oops. Just noticed that. My bad

Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,007 times
Quote:
Honestly your list is too long jluke

New York City
New Orleans

The rustbelt cities.

In my opinion, all of the cities you listed are distinct from one another. Each of them is a truly unique place. I am particularly puzzled by your thought that we can match San Francisco and Seattle. Where did you come up with that? Chicago is nothing like Detroit, Los Angeles is nothing like Dallas.

Each of these cities is unique and offers things that no other place on the planet can offer.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, all of the cities you listed are distinct from one another. Each of them is a truly unique place. I am particularly puzzled by your thought that we can match San Francisco and Seattle. Where did you come up with that? Chicago is nothing like Detroit, Los Angeles is nothing like Dallas.

Each of these cities is unique and offers things that no other place on the planet can offer.
Like I said, there are only two "truly unique" cities in America. Of course every city in America is unique. Heck, even the Twin Cities are unique. You entirely missed the point though. As different as Chicago and Detroit may seem, they were both started to exploit the Great Lakes and Prairie. Both San Francisco and Seattle started off as port towns and experienced booms from Gold Rushes. In each case however both city pairings took off in their own direction at some point.

And again, not being "truly unique" does not equal not being unique or important.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Like I said, there are only two "truly unique" cities in America. Of course every city in America is unique. Heck, even the Twin Cities are unique. You entirely missed the point though. As different as Chicago and Detroit may seem, they were both started to exploit the Great Lakes and Prairie. Both San Francisco and Seattle started off as port towns and experienced booms from Gold Rushes. In each case however both city pairings took off in their own direction at some point.

And again, not being "truly unique" does not equal not being unique or important.
I do not agree with you, but I think many of us CAN agree that the U.S. has many cities that are not only different from one another, but also are located in different environments, landscapes, etc., and that is hard to find in other countries... (NYC, LA, Miami, Seattle, Las Vegas, D.C., New Orleans, Chicago, Honolulu, Phoenix, Anchorage, Boston, St. Louis, etc.) I think we should celebrate the fact that we have such great diversity rather than complain that all cities aren't modeled after places like NYC.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they weren't more unique than the rest of America. I was just challenging your idea that neither were unique.
So your saying every place in America is unique? I'd agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City