U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM

864 posts, read 1,198,817 times

Advertisements

I've been reading these forums for a long time. I've traveled all over the US, not everywhere but quite a decent amount....

I've read a lot of different forums on here, and notice that a lot of cities want to hype up about their uniqueness, what sets them apart, what makes them so great... and thats cool. I've done that myself in regards to my own city (Kansas City).

But the more I think about it... the more I feel honestly, there are only a few REALLY unique cities in the US, set apart from others by their history and their current standing and location.

If I had to name off the top of my head these cities I would say:

Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago
New York
Boston
New Orleans
Denver (mostly because of its location)

and thats basically it.... maybe historically speaking an argument for Philadelphia, possibly an argument for Orlando cuz of Disney World being theme park capital of the world but who knows...

If you are coming from outside the US and visit any of the above cities you will see unique things that make that city stand out. Don't get me wrong, I love my own city and I know people love theres, and I know people can make a list of things that you find in your city that you won't find in others, or possibly other reasons your city is unique (comparitive cost of living, transit, etc...) but really.... from the outsider most cities look the same. They have the same downtown, same skyscrapers (yes some look more unique then others but its not like OMGZZZ!#@$)... same burbs, same big box stores, same theme parks, water parks, etc...

I started to think maybe the argument for uniqueness would be found in smaller quaint cities... but the more I looked up on those, the more I found .. suprise suprise.. they are all over the fricken place. There are tons of smaller towns with mom and pop shops that are cute quaint and have an older walkable look to them.

I just think it's funny I see these city vs city threads and it's like eh.... if its not a city with one of those things that really sets it apart... then the only comparisons really break down to cost of living and location/weather.

If you are bored in Milwuakee, your gonna probably be bored in Kansas City, Cleveland, Dallas, etc...

There are plenty of reasons to debate the merits one city has over another (in regards to weather/location/cost of living), but when the topic turns to the recreation one city has, for the most part they all have the same.

That said.. my city is still better then yours

Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 PM

31,974 posts, read 38,036,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I've been reading these forums for a long time. I've traveled all over the US, not everywhere but quite a decent amount....

I've read a lot of different forums on here, and notice that a lot of cities want to hype up about their uniqueness, what sets them apart, what makes them so great... and thats cool. I've done that myself in regards to my own city (Kansas City).

But the more I think about it... the more I feel honestly, there are only a few REALLY unique cities in the US, set apart from others by their history and their current standing and location.

Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago
New York
Boston
New Orleans

and thats basically it.... maybe historically speaking an argument for Philadelphia, possibly an argument for Orlando cuz of Disney World being theme park capital of the world but who knows...

If you are coming from outside the US and visit any of the above cities you will see unique things that make that city stand out. Don't get me wrong, I love my own city and I know people love theres, and I know people can make a list of things that you find in your city that you won't find in others, or possibly other reasons your city is unique (comparitive cost of living, transit, etc...) but really.... from the outsider most cities look the same. They have the same downtown, same skyscrapers (yes some look more unique then others but its not like OMGZZZ!#@$)... same burbs, same big box stores, same theme parks, water parks, etc...

I started to think maybe the argument for uniqueness would be found in smaller quaint cities... but the more I looked up on those, the more I found .. suprise suprise.. they are all over the fricken place. There are tons of smaller towns with mom and pop shops that are cute quaint and have an older walkable look to them.

I just think it's funny I see these city vs city threads and it's like eh.... if its not a city with one of those things that really sets it apart... then the only comparisons really break down to cost of living and location/weather.

If you are bored in Milwuakee, your gonna probably be bored in Kansas City, Cleveland, Dallas, etc...

There are plenty of reasons to debate the merits one city has over another (in regards to weather/location/cost of living), but when the topic turns to the recreation one city has, for the most part they all have the same.

I think you can say the same thing about many smaller cities like Charleston SC, Savannah, St. Augustine FL, Wilmington NC and Atlantic City, among others.

I think there are differences, but they are usually subtle or there are similarities with cities in a regional sense too. So, Providence and Hartford is probably going to have some similarities to Boston, but in a smaller scale, for example.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 PM

9,098 posts, read 21,762,922 times
Quote:

Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago
New York
Boston
New Orleans

Salt Lake City and Washington DC should also be on your list of truly unique cities.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,011,305 times
Quote:

Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago
New York
Boston
New Orleans

I wouldn't call Boston, Chicago, or Denver unique. I guess NYC is unique for an American city, but that's about it. I'd say San Francisco and Miami are unique.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 PM

505 posts, read 847,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I wouldn't call Boston, Chicago, or Denver unique.

Why not?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM

4,086 posts, read 5,110,027 times
I think all cities are unique. I think with a lot of the bigger cities the difference are more pronounced, with smaller cities they are more subtle. I will concede that there are cities that have more unique character than others, but ultimately every city is still unique.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,670,364 times
Quote:

Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago
New York
Boston
New Orleans

so you dont think Santa Fe is unique? there aint another city in the country like it

Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,011,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post

Why not?
I just don't really see how they are unique. Denver especially.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,373,597 times
Yes, Denver doesn't strike me as unique in anyway or form. I guess it is somewhat different in that it is a high altitude city, but beyond that, not so much.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 PM

505 posts, read 847,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I just don't really see how they are unique. Denver especially.
But Boston and Chicago definitely strike me as unique places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City