Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of these three, which do you think has the best higher education in general? Please pick 2
Atlanta 54 68.35%
Dallas/Ft Worth 20 25.32%
Houston 28 35.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

As a graduate of an HBCU,as well as my parents,along with my dad being a former Dean @ Clark-ATL Univ.,Morris Brown and Fort Valley State University my knowledge of HBCU is pretty decent.I can honestly say that I had never heard of Paul Quinn College.Maybe that was its problem.I would think that if this was one of the HBCU's in Dallas,there would have been more support.The only other HBCU in Dallas or near,I think is Prairie View College right?

To be honest the fact that Atlanta has so many colleges and university.I think this is one of the main differences that separate these three cities.For the future as more people are seeking advanced degrees,being a center of education will prove beneficial to areas like Atlanta with large student population.Those that get degrees in cities or states where they get their degrees have a high percentage of establishing a home in that area.Also higher education is an industry that is not usually associated with recession related issues other than cutbacks like all business ,but not "going out of business" complications.Cities that have young populations usually do well over time.

Think of it.Cities like Detroit,Pittsburgh,Cleveland, Cincinnati,and Baltimore are not like Philadelphia,Boston,NYC,Chicago and Washington D.C.The latter cities have similar demographics but they continue to grow in every category from economics to even people at a higher rate.While there are other factors,the cities in the D.C. categories share the one variable that makes them able to continue to be viable even through the migration South and West.That common variable is EDUCATION.Specifically higher education.

Houston and Dallas will continue to grow due to geography.However I don't know when and how much it will matter,but I think it will make the difference and those differences will become greater in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
As a graduate of an HBCU,as well as my parents,along with my dad being a former Dean @ Clark-ATL Univ.,Morris Brown and Fort Valley State University my knowledge of HBCU is pretty decent.I can honestly say that I had never heard of Paul Quinn College.Maybe that was its problem.I would think that if this was one of the HBCU's in Dallas,there would have been more support.The only other HBCU in Dallas or near,I think is Prairie View College right?
That's in the Houston area (Hempstead). Paul Quinn was more prominent when it was in Waco,Tx; However, I guess just like everyone else thinks. Dallas was the better choice, but it backfired.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
Quote:

To be honest the fact that Atlanta has so many colleges and university.I think this is one of the main differences that separate these three cities.For the future as more people are seeking advanced degrees,being a center of education will prove beneficial to areas like Atlanta with large student population.Those that get degrees in cities or states where they get their degrees have a high percentage of establishing a home in that area.Also higher education is an industry that is not usually associated with recession related issues other than cutbacks like all business ,but not "going out of business" complications.Cities that have young populations usually do well over time.

Think of it.Cities like Detroit,Pittsburgh,Cleveland, Cincinnati,and Baltimore are not like Philadelphia,Boston,NYC,Chicago and Washington D.C.The latter cities have similar demographics but they continue to grow in every category from economics to even people at a higher rate.While there are other factors,the cities in the D.C. categories share the one variable that makes them able to continue to be viable even through the migration South and West.That common variable is EDUCATION.Specifically higher education.

Houston and Dallas will continue to grow due to geography.However I don't know when and how much it will matter,but I think it will make the difference and those differences will become greater in the future.
The reason you hadn't heard of Paul Quinn is because it's a considerably small school, but it was once considered the best HBCU in Texas.

And Prairie View A&M is located in Prairie View, Texas which is in the Houston metro. About 45 min NW of the city.

And as I stated before, the Atlanta area does have a larger selection of good schools, but Houston's Rice U is a definite contender for the best school in ATL: Emory. Not to mention that Rice is often considered the better school.

And the University of Houston isn't anything to sneeze at either.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
I'm voting Houston because of Rice University. The best school in Dallas would probably be SMU and I don't consider that a contender against Rice. I don't know much about the schools in Atlanta so I can't vote for them. I also never hear anything about the schools in Atlanta.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:

Dallas also has Wiley College remember that movie "The Great Debate with Denzel Washington" and Jarvis Christian University other HBCU. The problem is these schools don't get a lot of notarity. Plus lets not talk about black media obsession with Atlanta GA. As far as saying Atlanta is some way supreme to Houston or Dallas is also false. Texas is a whole different monster than Atlanta GA. GA has just Atlanta so it makes alot of since that Atlanta has a plethora of universities. Texas is a big state with 6 major cities. A lot of our prominent Universities are located in the country.

The fact of the matter is Texas and GA graduate more African Americans and black professional than all other states. I think it will be best to leave it at that.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:57 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
Default Texas HBCU's

^ Dallas claiming Wiley and Jarvis Colleges is a stretch. Both are in far East Texas.

Southwestern Christian College in Terrell (30 miles east of Dallas) is more logical. Paul Quinn will gain it's accreditation back by years end.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
^ Dallas claiming Wiley and Jarvis Colleges is a stretch. Both are in far East Texas.

Southwestern Christian College in Terrell (30 miles east of Dallas) is more logical. Paul Quinn will gain it's accreditation back by years end.
That's right. If there's any city that would be able to say they "have" Wiley College, it's Shreveport because it's way closer than Dallas.

Even Texas College is closer to Dallas than Wiley.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
This is pretty interesting, guys. I have never heard of any of these schools.

Living here in the shadow of Morehouse, Clark-Atlanta, Spellman, etc. probably has a lot to do with it, I'm sure.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post

Not really a stretch because its in the Northeast, Texas region. Houston tries to claim PV. I also forgot about Texas College. The whole point that I was trying to make is the region is not lacking prominent colleges and HBCUS are numerous throughout the region.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is pretty interesting, guys. I have never heard of any of these schools.

Living here in the shadow of Morehouse, Clark-Atlanta, Spellman, etc. probably has a lot to do with it, I'm sure.
I agree. I'm shocked people have never heard of atleast Morehouse or Spelman. Both are highly recognized universities, even outside the black community. People need to realize Emory ranks right up with Rice. Rice is only one school being compared to the many colleges in the Atlanta area.

Atlanta wins by a landslide, no contest. Houston metro still can't compete with just the city of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City