Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of these three, which do you think has the best higher education in general? Please pick 2
Atlanta 54 68.35%
Dallas/Ft Worth 20 25.32%
Houston 28 35.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times

Advertisements

It not about the "titles".Its about results.The facts is Morehouse/Spelman based on results, graduates MANY successful people.MANY of the major companies that recruit at Harvard,recruit at Morehouse/Spelman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,784,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It not about the "titles".Its about results.The facts is Morehouse/Spelman based on results, graduates MANY successful people.MANY of the major companies that recruit at Harvard,recruit at Morehouse/Spelman.
The same could be said about the schools in all the major cities. Not just the ones in the Atlanta Metro.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Well I say Atlanta because we have more schools in higher education. Thats what this poll was orginally about which city offers higher education. You would think that people would get that when we have more schools that are of higher education vs Houston or Dallas. Is Rice the only school in Houston of Higher education because people keep stressing that.
"Higher education" means a college, period. Whether it's a community college or a top tier institution. Any schooling after one receives their high school diploma is higher learning. The term you're probably searching for is "quality education."

And no, this thread isn't about what city has the most colleges. I believe the OP is basically asking us which of the three we feel is the better city for college education. Opinions on this can be based on a number of different variables, so Atlanta simply having a lot of good schools doesn't automatically make it the obvious choice out of the three.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, CMU and Duquesne are about ten thousand each, and UPitt is about 30,000. There are about another half dozen institutions in the city and another half dozen within the metro, so Pittsburgh is significant when it comes to quantity as well. As far as education goes, Pittsburgh deserves a place on your list--however, its success in education doesn't make up for numerous other disadvantages in comparison to the other cities you've listed. Education is important, especially "top-tier" education, but it's seldom the dominant force for an entire city.
I know that Pitt has great schools.However just because they are great does not mean that they educate the mases.It is better to have more college educated adults than to have just IVY type graduates.As I said before Georgia State University has almost 30,000 people ALONE.Emory has about 13,000.The A.U.C.(Atlanta University Center ,the 5 consortium of HBCU'S)about 10,000,Georgia Tech ;18,000,the list goes on of colleges with populations of almost 10,000 students.These are just in the city of Atlanta;not the metro.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The same could be said about the schools in all the major cities. Not just the ones in the Atlanta Metro.
Yes but we discussing Houston,Dallas and Atlanta versus each other.Atlanta wins on most acounts when it comes to "higher education"

Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
"Higher education" means a college, period. Whether it's a community college or a top tier institution. Any schooling after one receives their high school diploma is higher learning. The term you're probably searching for is "quality education."

And no, this thread isn't about what city has the most colleges. I believe the OP is basically asking us which of the three we feel is the better city for college education. Opinions on this can be based on a number of different variables, so Atlanta simply having a lot of good schools doesn't automatically make it the obvious choice out of the three.
I agree. It's all a matter of opinion because there are so many variables. All 3 cities have good schools that are ranked on several different lists. For one city to think they are better than any of the other cities is just ridiculous and unnecessary boasting. When recruiters are looking for job candidates I don't think they are all heading to just Atlanta. All the major cities have great schools.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Yes but we discussing Houston,Dallas and Atlanta versus each other.Atlanta wins on most acounts when it comes to "higher education"
According to who? It's not a fact that Atlanta has the best schools of higher education. It's all opinion. That's why there are so many different lists that have different rankings. There is no one variable to rank such a thing. After all these pages no one has proved anything.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Houston does have some good schools, but Atlanta's schools just beat the pants off of all of them academically.
Well now who's being obtuse? I mean especially since this "Rice vs. Emory" thing is always under debate.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
I know that Pitt has great schools.However just because they are great does not mean that they educate the mases.It is better to have more college educated adults than to have just IVY type graduates.As I said before Georgia State University has almost 30,000 people ALONE.Emory has about 13,000.The A.U.C.(Atlanta University Center ,the 5 consortium of HBCU'S)about 10,000,Georgia Tech ;18,000,the list goes on of colleges with populations of almost 10,000 students.These are just in the city of Atlanta;not the metro.
Well, that's what I'm telling you in the last post--Pittsburgh has a large student population. You're impressed by Georgia State University having almost 30K alone, so it should also impress you that the University of Pittsburgh has almost 30K alone (and over 30K if you count faculty). The other two big schools (CMU and Duquesne) also have about 10K students each. There are about another half dozen institutions within the city, each with a few thousand students--all within the city (and a much smaller city at that) and certainly not just Ivy type schools. The point is, Pittsburgh still hasn't joined in on the prosperity that the other category of cities you've listed have despite having such a large base for higher education.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

Good points but I think its a combination of many factors not just one.But can a city be considered a major center of higher education with a relatively small student populace?Atlanta has a LOT more schools in the Metro than even in the city itself!We won't even count the 2 years ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City