Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,902,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
When was the last time you went on a college campus?
I live on one. And I don't know anyone who is itching to move to Dallas or Atlanta or Houston (including the people who are from there). Everyone I know either wants to stay here in L.A. or move to a city like San Francisco or Boston.

Quote:
You are right that the majority of young professionals are not black, but then again allot of them are not white these days either. Indians, Asians, Hispanics, Blacks, and Whites are what young professionals look like these days, and a hispanic person would probably move to Dallas or Miami at the drop of a hat before they move to Boston. An Asian person would probably move to California at the drop of the hat before they move to Boston. Just because you and your buddies like to go to Boston and Seatlle to hang out doesnt mean everyone does......
http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...tisfaction.pdf

Among 18-34 year-olds, people with an income greater than 100K, and people with a college degree, Denver, Seattle, and Boston do extremely well. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM

815 posts, read 2,126,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I live on one. And I don't know anyone who is itching to move to Dallas or Atlanta or Houston (including the people who are from there). Everyone I know either wants to stay here in L.A. or move to a city like San Francisco or Boston.

Among 18-34 year-olds, people with an income greater than 100K, and people with a college degree, Denver, Seattle, and Boston do extremely well. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta do not.

Just like I have never met anyone who even wants to visit Denver, Seattle or Boston, let alone live there. White or black. And that 50 page report from that ultra conservative think tank known as the Pew Research Center will undoubtedly back up the cities white people want to go to, I mean look who the report is from for Petes sake!!!! Just like a report from the TTAAP (Think tank for African American progress) will back up that most people want to move to Atlanta, DC, Houston, Dallas, NYC. Using a biased report from a historically biased organization does not prove your point. Like I said, never heard anyone say they want to visit/or move to Austin, Boston, Seattle, Denver (OMG I lol'd at that one) or any other "white bread" city. Not to say that people don’t want to live/visit there, just saying that not too many people outside of white Americans want to live/visit those cities......

Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Just like I have never met anyone who even wants to visit Denver, Seattle or Boston, let alone live there. White or black. And that 50 page report from that ultra conservative think tank known as the Pew Research Center will undoubtedly back up the cities white people want to go to, I mean look who the report is from for Petes sake!!!! Just like a report from the TTAAP (Think tank for African American progress) will back up that most people want to move to Atlanta, DC, Houston, Dallas, NYC. Using a biased report from a historically biased organization does not prove your point. Like I said, never heard anyone say they want to visit/or move to Austin, Boston, Seattle, Denver (OMG I lol'd at that one) or any other "white bread" city. Not to say that people don’t want to live/visit there, just saying that not too many people outside of white Americans want to live/visit those cities......
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL believe what you want!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL believe what you want!

Yeah that was my reaction when you posted that link to a Pew Research Center Report, and coming from a black 20 something born and raised in Southwest Atlanta, and who went to school in DC, not hearing anyone say they want to visit or move to Seattle, Denver or Boston really is not that much of a stretch. I grew up hearing people talk about NYC, Chicago, Philly, New Orleans, Texas, LA, ATL, and DC. Denver, Boston, and Seattle might as well have been on a different planet.......And why dont you respond to my question about why you feel that a Pew Research Center Report is a valid place to get your facts from??? You probably watch Fox News and think its the gospel huh???

Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Quote:

Speak for yourself. I know the people from the midwest, south, and west love these cities. I've heard (on more than one occasion) where people said they would take Houston anyday over Chicago. You also have lots of DC people out here who love it. Lots of them really enjoy the open spaces and less crowds.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah that was my reaction when you posted that link to a Pew Research Center Report, and coming from a black 20 something born and raised in Southwest Atlanta, and who went to school in DC, not hearing anyone say they want to visit or move to Seattle, Denver or Boston really is not that much of a stretch. I grew up hearing people talk about NYC, Chicago, Philly, New Orleans, Texas, LA, ATL, and DC. Denver, Boston, and Seattle might as well have been on a different planet.......And why dont you respond to my question about why you feel that a Pew Research Center Report is a valid place to get your facts from??? You probably watch Fox News and think its the gospel huh???
Agreed. Cities like SEA, ATX, and BOS aren't really on the radar or a hot topic in the black community. (however, Boston does have a fairly large black population).

Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
In terms of where young professionals would rather be, in my experience coming from east coast school, yes. Just my experience. Never heard anyone wanting to go to Atl or Dallas really.
sf la dc attract the highly educated and entrepreneur crowds ...not that other cities don't but I'd say that was the top 3 outside of nyc.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Speak for yourself. I know the people from the midwest, south, and west love these cities. I've heard (on more than one occasion) where people said they would take Houston anyday over Chicago. You also have lots of DC people out here who love it. Lots of them really enjoy the open spaces and less crowds.
Take your own advice. You tell me to speak for myself and then you say "I know the people from the midwest, south, and west love these cities". LOL the irony.

Btw, I'm from "the west" and the only people I know who move to the aforementioned cities are those who are looking for a low cost of living. But other than that, Texas is basically a punch line on the left coast, although as you suggest it may be different for the black community.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Take your own advice. You tell me to speak for myself and then you say "I know the people from the midwest, south, and west love these cities". LOL the irony.

Btw, I'm from "the west" and the only people I know who move to the aforementioned cities are those who are looking for a low cost of living. But other than that, Texas is basically a punch line on the left coast, although as you suggest it may be different for the black community.

to the bolded- which it is, Houtson and Dallas are not only mentioned in the black community, but are destinations as well. When I was in college it literally seemed like everyone I knew from Chicago, Detroit or the midwest period was trying or was going to move to Houston or Dallas. And to us in the south every city on the "left coast" is a punchline to us except for LA..........Quite honestly (speaking for my own city, not the whole south) we considered places like San Diego, Seattle, Portland among others on the west coast to be "soft".

Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Well Houston is a top destination city for Asians, Hispanics, and blacks. Anyways, Living in one these cities unlike you; I'd think I know how it is. Not everyone moves here for the cost like you'd like to believe.

Attending TSU, I'm exposed to people from all the country and get all types of opinions toward Houston. Some Hate it and some like it. My friend neighbors are from Chicago, Los Angeles, Louisiana, Detroit, and DC. We were all discussing Houston at this party we had, and they all said they loved it much more than their previous locations. I didn't think Chicago was that hated or disliked until I moved to Houston. People from Cali always refer to how Houston is similar to LA except less crowded and more laid-back.

Houston is a fairly young city with many educated young professionals living inside the loop. Home to the museum district and theatre district, 3 universities, and more. Houston is very much a place that attracts lots of young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City